Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...assenger_Plane

Plane is due to touch done in Newark from Brussells in next half hour. Scary!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

Damn airplanes...
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, that is scary! I wonder if the passengers are aware?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

My BIL is a pilot and he once told us the story of a pilot that lost the plot on a plane once - he decided he wanted to land somewhere else to get his haircut I think the men in white coats were waiting for him!!

They were just saying on the news that although they may not have informed the passengers, they may have TV's on the flight and they have seen it on the news!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
My BIL is a pilot and he once told us the story of a pilot that lost the plot on a plane once - he decided he wanted to land somewhere else to get his haircut I think the men in white coats were waiting for him!!
Something like that happened on an Air Canada flight not long ago.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:04 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

They were just saying on the news that although they may not have informed the passengers, they may have TV's on the flight and they have seen it on the news!
That would suck. Feeling pity for the poor bastards on that flight and then realizing those poor bastards are you.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Something like that happened on an Air Canada flight not long ago.
Well if you want to talk to God.. Ireland's as good a place as any!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That would suck. Feeling pity for the poor bastards on that flight and then realizing those poor bastards are you.

I recall that the passengers on a Jetblue plane found out they were in trouble once while circling LA while watching TV. Think they have learned from that experience and told the passengers. They have a co-pilot and there was another pilot onboard as a passenger who supposedly took over. It is definitely not a case where they are in danger of a crash landing.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Is Newark such an awful airport that the pilot really didn't want to go there. Good job for the other pilot to keep his nerve and continue flying, although there was nothing else he could have done.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Is Newark such an awful airport that the pilot really didn't want to go there. Good job for the other pilot to keep his nerve and continue flying, although there was nothing else he could have done.

I hate Newark International. As for the co-pilot, quite often they are the ones that land the plane and pilot it while the pilot supervises. After all they are pilots

Yes, we have a friend who flies 767's for Continental from Newark so do know a bit about it.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Pilot dies on flight heading to Newark..

You must be joking. Continental's in-flight entertainment is the pits.

I've done long-haul flights with them to Honolulu and to Tokyo. They have about 6 TV channels (including a boring business one and children's channel) and it's on a 23/4 hour loop....so on an 11 hour flight (EWR to HNL) or 14 hour flight (EWR to NRT- Tokyo) you see the same programmes again, and again...and again.

The sound system is appalling too! They even have the cheek on an international flight to charge $2 for their crappy headphones and $5 or $6 for a beer, wine or any alcoholic drink. (All free on the traditional Asian and European inter-continental airlines).

I hate Continental! (It's unfortunate that it's the main airline at my nearest airport, Newark) Their flight attendants are miserable old bags who don't know the meaning of good grooming, don't know how to smile or be kind or polite to the passengers...it's all the old ones on the overseas flights as they've been working for the airline for years and get the pick of the routes.

Grrrr. Rant over.
PS: I know that they would argue that they're only there for the safety of the passengers, but why should they be so indifferent to the passengers when cabin crews with other carriers are polite, even in cattle class?

I have to smile ruefully when they announce at the end of the flight that they know that you have a choice and thank you for flying with (CO/AA/United etc.) today. Well, I've made my choice and I'm not flying long haul with CO anytime soon....I'm flying with Singapore Airlines in a couple of weeks even though the ticket was slightly more expensive and I've got to trek over to JFK......their service is great.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I've done long-haul flights with them to Honolulu and to Tokyo. They have about 6 TV channels (including a boring business one and children's channel) and it's on a 23/4 hour loop....so on an 11 hour flight (EWR to HNL) or 14 hour flight (EWR to NRT- Tokyo) you see the same programmes again, and again...and again.

The sound system is appalling too! They even have the cheek on an international flight to charge $2 for their crappy headphones and $5 or $6 for a beer, wine or any alcoholic drink. (All free on the traditional Asian and European inter-continental airlines).

I hate Continental! (It's unfortunate that it's the main airline at my nearest airport, Newark) Their flight attendants are miserable old bags who don't know the meaning of good grooming, don't know how to smile or be kind or polite to the passengers...it's all the old ones on the overseas flights as they've been working for the airline for years and get the pick of the routes.

Grrrr. Rant over.
PS: I know that they would argue that they're only there for the safety of the passengers, but why should they be so indifferent to the passengers when cabin crews with other carriers are polite, even in cattle class?

I have to smile ruefully when they announce at the end of the flight that they know that you have a choice and thank you for flying with (CO/AA/United etc.) today. Well, I've made my choice and I'm not flying long haul with CO anytime soon....I'm flying with Singapore Airlines in a couple of weeks even though the ticket was slightly more expensive and I've got to trek over to JFK......their service is great.
Not a fan then...
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Grrrr. Rant over.

To be fair, Continental have recently upgraded the entertainment systems on all their 767-200s. They now have on-demand movies and TV shows and nice new monitors in all the headrests. There is choice of (approx) 35 movies, 60 TV show episodes, 100 CDs and a whole bunch of games. It's a LOT better than it used to be. AND they now give away the earphones for free. There are now also 2x115V power outlets per 3 seats for laptops etc.
I made the trip from Louisiana to UK and back a few weeks ago and the in-flight entertainment is pretty good (on a 767-200). Still have to pay $5 for a beer though.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:49 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan then...
Speaking of Continental, it seems that losing luggage is so passe these days, the new thing is to lose kids... apparently they sent kids who were travelling alone to the wrong destination twice in two days. Once is careless, but twice is ...
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zargof
Speaking of Continental, it seems that losing luggage is so passe these days, the new thing is to lose kids... apparently they sent kids who were travelling alone to the wrong destination twice in two days. Once is careless, but twice is ...
Poor kids - how on earth can they manage that?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.