Pet Peeves?

Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Anian
In the grocery store, so many items come in three sizes - regular, large, and extra large. Except the extra large is only slightly larger than the large, and often it isn't even better value (sometimes worse!). They are so close in size that you couldn't tell unless the boxes are next to each other. My grocery store puts a convenient price per volume/weight/serving next to the price, but sometimes the measurement used is different between the different sized boxes and I have to mentally figure out if 14c/oz is better than $2.20/pound.

Guess who did the weekly shopping for the first time in weeks.
Yep.
If you find that one tough, don't go anywhere near the nutritional information label. The US hasn't even got a standardised one. Deliberately misleading.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

In the grocery store, so many items come in three sizes - regular, large, and extra large. Except the extra large is only slightly larger than the large, and often it isn't even better value (sometimes worse!). They are so close in size that you couldn't tell unless the boxes are next to each other. My grocery store puts a convenient price per volume/weight/serving next to the price, but sometimes the measurement used is different between the different sized boxes and I have to mentally figure out if 14c/oz is better than $2.20/pound.

You could always shop at Costco where everything comes in one size, XXXL.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:42 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You could always shop at Costco where everything comes in one size, XXXL.
But nothing ever looks particularly big in the shop. Then when you pay for it and try to fit in your car, you realise -- yep, that's BIG. (I also do a guesstimate a check-out time, and am usually about £100 under . But I'm assured we need everything...)
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
But nothing ever looks particularly big in the shop. Then when you pay for it and try to fit in your car, you realise -- yep, that's BIG. (I also do a guesstimate a check-out time, and am usually about £100 under . But I'm assured we need everything...)
Especially on the meat counter. Those blasted magnifying type glass cabinets have caught me out on several occasions. One sees three nice looking steaks, has them bagged and heads off to the till, is a little stunned at the (for example) 40 buck price tag only to get home and find you've bought half a cow which you then struggle to get in the fridge.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... One sees three nice looking steaks, has them bagged and heads off to the till, is a little stunned at the (for example) 40 buck price tag only to get home and find you've bought half a cow which you then struggle to get in the fridge.
Yeah, one thick-cut ribeye or strip steak is plenty for all three of us in the Pulaski household.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Eggs are packaged in 6, 12, 18 and 24 at most stores in my area, the best price per egg is almost always the 12 pack which is generally 0.22 per egg, where the 6 pack averages 0.27 per egg, the 18 is 0.25 per egg, and the 24 is 0.26 per egg.

My wife gets annoyed as I always make sure to get the cheapest per egg, even if it means buying 2 12 packs vs the 24 pack.

Milk about 1.25 per liter if you buy the 4 liter bottle, buy the 1 liter and its like 2.79 and the 2 liter is around 1.74 per liter.

The stores around me don't generally break the price down for the customer, you have to figure out which is cheapest overall.

Costco is the worst store for eggs, consistently higher per egg.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop

You probably aren't old enough to remember the big wide cloth towels on rollers. God they were horrible
I am 99% sure I saw these cloth towel dispensers at the British Library near Kings Cross when I was in UK in August!
Old Nov 18th 2017, 8:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I am 99% sure I saw these cloth towel dispensers at the British Library near Kings Cross when I was in UK in August!
They are still around, there are companies still around making them as well.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 11:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They are still around, there are companies still around making them as well.
I don't think I have ever seen one in the US, and don't recall the last time I saw one in the UK either. I certainly don't remember seeing on my visits during the past 3-4 years.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Ive seen them on the west coast a few times. Usually gas stations and fast food joints along highways that cater to travellers and truckers.

DARMAN MANUFACTURING in NY state still makes and sells them.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think I have ever seen one in the US, and don't recall the last time I saw one in the UK either. I certainly don't remember seeing on my visits during the past 3-4 years.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ive seen them on the west coast a few times. Usually gas stations and fast food joints along highways that cater to travellers and truckers.

DARMAN MANUFACTURING in NY state still makes and sells them.
Darman Manufacturing CompanyDarman Manufacturing - Cloth Roll Towel Cabinet - Endura II

This page - https://phelpsusa.com/product/cloth-...owel-dispenser says "Removes more bacteria from hands than paper or hot air" ... I would agree with that but ... where does it go?! inside the box, to accumulate and transfer over to the 'clean' side ...!

They 'must' have figured a way to deal with this, to be selling these in this day and age.

ETA: http://www.dberkhoudtarchitect.com/2...an-air-dryers/

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 20th 2017 at 12:50 am.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 9:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The soy sauce packets in take out sushi, is almost always never enough.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The soy sauce packets in take out sushi, is almost always never enough.
You should have told me a few weeks ago. I went to clean out the cutlery drawer (because that's where all the assorted Taco Bell sauce packets and other things tended to go for some reason) and I found about a million soy sauce packets under there that apparently I'd been collecting every time I picked up Chinese
Old Dec 7th 2017, 3:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You should have told me a few weeks ago. I went to clean out the cutlery drawer (because that's where all the assorted Taco Bell sauce packets and other things tended to go for some reason) and I found about a million soy sauce packets under there that apparently I'd been collecting every time I picked up Chinese
My husband has, from the time they understood words, taught the girls to steal every s & p, sugar, sweetener, sauce sachets they can, even if they're on a different table. Sweeteners? We don't even use them but come back from a trip out and pockets and bags are full of the bloody things.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 5:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My husband has, from the time they understood words, taught the girls to steal every s & p, sugar, sweetener, sauce sachets they can, even if they're on a different table. Sweeteners? We don't even use them but come back from a trip out and pockets and bags are full of the bloody things.
Mine were just extra sauces that were grabbed while picking up food - that sounds much more like a coordinated operation there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.