Pet Peeves?

Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I spent my very first night in the US at my boyfriend's rathole apartment in the Bronx. I put a glass of water beside the bed as I always do and woke up and took a sip during the night. All these hard things were knocking against my teeth. I turned the lamp on and found the surface of the water completely covered in roaches, merrily thrashing around. Welcome to America!
Happily, the boyfriend in question was extremely easy on the eye and I proceeded to live in said roach motel for four years after I moved to the US!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my very first night in the US at my boyfriend's rathole apartment in the Bronx. I put a glass of water beside the bed as I always do and woke up and took a sip during the night. All these hard things were knocking against my teeth. I turned the lamp on and found the surface of the water completely covered in roaches, merrily thrashing around. Welcome to America!
Our first home together in the US was a low income apartment in Somerville, MA. We very soon realised that we had three different species of cockroach competing for attention there - German, American, and brown-banded. The German cockroach is the common cockroach in the north east, small, brown, and moves fast. The American cockroach is less common, very impressive creature, fairly large, light in colour, and it flies around at night, which can keep you awake. The rental agent woman onsite was a wee bit racist, she was certain that the cockroaches emanated from the apartments of the Chinese families in the building, their kitchen hygiene wasn't up to Boston-Irish standards according to her...

Anyway when we removed the floral pattern contact paper that the previous tenant had put up as a splash back around the stove, we eliminated one of the roach hiding places.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 8:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Our first home together in the US was a low income apartment in Somerville, MA. We very soon realised that we had three different species of cockroach competing for attention there - German, American, and brown-banded. The German cockroach is the common cockroach in the north east, small, brown, and moves fast. The American cockroach is less common, very impressive creature, fairly large, light in colour, and it flies around at night, which can keep you awake. The rental agent woman onsite was a wee bit racist, she was certain that the cockroaches emanated from the apartments of the Chinese families in the building, their kitchen hygiene wasn't up to Boston-Irish standards according to her...

Anyway when we removed the floral pattern contact paper that the previous tenant had put up as a splash back around the stove, we eliminated one of the roach hiding places.
It took us a year of house spraying, bug bombing etc to get rid of the German Cockies. They are a fricking nightmare.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 10:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It took us a year of house spraying, bug bombing etc to get rid of the German Cockies. They are a fricking nightmare.
Yeah my wife dislikes roaches. We never got rid of them in the apartment, since if you kept them at bay they'd just come in from elsewhere in the building. I've never really been that bothered by cockroaches, though I'm perfectly willing to kill them. After living in Somerville, we moved back to England and lived in a big old early nineteenth century building in Bath. It was seriously overrun by oriental cockroaches, and those things were massive, much bigger than Massachusetts roaches.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 10:41 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my wife dislikes roaches. We never got rid of them in the apartment, since if you kept them at bay they'd just come in from elsewhere in the building. I've never really been that bothered by cockroaches, though I'm perfectly willing to kill them. After living in Somerville, we moved back to England and lived in a big old early nineteenth century building in Bath. It was seriously overrun by oriental cockroaches, and those things were massive, much bigger than Massachusetts roaches.
Cockroaches while quite uncommon in the Pacific Northwest can be found if you look hard. I have yet to see one.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah my wife dislikes roaches. We never got rid of them in the apartment, since if you kept them at bay they'd just come in from elsewhere in the building. I've never really been that bothered by cockroaches, though I'm perfectly willing to kill them.

I can deal with roaches (or could, not sure how I would do these days!), but would have been out there in two seconds if it had been a mouse problem! We had a big D-Con budget in that place . . . but for $99 a month rent, what can one expect!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I can deal with roaches (or could, not sure how I would do these days!), but would have been out there in two seconds if it had been a mouse problem! We had a big D-Con budget in that place . . . but for $99 a month rent, what can one expect!
Mice are easy - I have two cats and apparently mice are very tasty. And my brother's Jack Russell can take care of any, er, bigger rodents that take up residence in the garden shed.

The worse infestation I had in a house was slugs - it was a "cheap" workman's cottage built mid-C19, and the ground was only 6 inches below the floorboards - they easily found their way up along pipes and between floorboards and you could see their slime trails on the carpet in the morning. Spring and autumn were bad when the ground was damp and cool. Apparently slugs are not so tasty for cats, but squish between your toes quite spectacularly if you stand on them.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:34 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Roaches make good eating. Pop em in the microwave for around 5 seconds. Excellent source of protein
Do you have yours for brekkie or lunch?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the opposite. I can live with the mice (they are so easy to trap) but roaches gross me out. Thankfully, even though I always lived in an apartment the building had an exterminator that came every month and I never saw one. After I plugged up the hole under the kitchen sink that took care of the mice. The poor cat lost her plaything.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Roaches make good eating. Pop em in the microwave for around 5 seconds. Excellent source of protein.
I think this great advice for a free source of nutritious protein would be welcomed over on the Canadian "Cheap Eats Choices" thread.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:40 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm late to this thread (as always) but holy s... @ this.

Throws my freak out after waking up to find a spider biting my leg a week or so ago into insignificance *big time*!

Also... The Bronx... That's a wild place to begin with!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I'm late to this thread (as always) but holy s... @ this.

Throws my freak out after waking up to find a spider biting my leg a week or so ago into insignificance *big time*!

Also... The Bronx... That's a wild place to begin with!
Well, like most places, there's good & bad - most of the Bronx is perfectly civilised. Zoo, botanical gardens, several excellent colleges & universities, beautiful parks etc....
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Well, like most places, there's good & bad - most of the Bronx is perfectly civilised. Zoo, botanical gardens, several excellent colleges & universities, beautiful parks etc....
You are right; I lived in a long-established Irish neighborhood, within walking distance of the botanical gardens, which was just starting to become Puerto Rican. But this was in the 1970s, Howard Cosell's the "Bronx is burning" days, when there was rather a lot of bad around in the southern part of the borough!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

You are right; I lived in a long-established Irish neighborhood, within walking distance of the botanical gardens, which was just starting to become Puerto Rican. But this was in the 1970s, Howard Cosell's the "Bronx is burning" days, when there was rather a lot of bad around in the southern part of the borough!
God's own country, the Bronx. If we move to NYC that'd be where we'd go. Might need a set of ear plugs, having lived in rural areas for many decades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.