Pet Peeves?

Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:24 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Peeves?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
didn't cause women to swoon as it does here
You ladykiller you.
Attached Thumbnails Pet Peeves?-pulanski.jpg  
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't beat Hell's pizza from New Zealand. I liked the Chicken , cranberry and Camembert. Also the Apple and Apricot pizza was good as a desert pizza.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
You ladykiller you. ....
I would have visited the US regularly many years before I got married, if only I had known.

It's a rare week when somebody doesn't tell me they "just lurve my accent", two or three times a week is common. 90%+ of the compliments I get are from women, and I have always thought the oddest times are when a waitress tells me she lurves my accent, while I am sittting there with my wife.

The most memorable time was when we were in Applebee's, just north of White Plains. My wife and I were eating with my in-laws who were visiting. When the waitress took our order she started with my FIL, and he is from SW Virginia so she struggled a bit to understand his accent. My MIL's accent isn't as pronounced, but the waitress still struggled a little. Then Mrs P's turn, her accent is milder, but returns when she is with her parents, but by this time the waitress had got into her stride and was fully "tuned in" to a Virginian accent. ...... Then I spoke, and she literally took a step backwards!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 16th 2016 at 3:39 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I find the gyros smaller than the equivalent doner. i find this surprising because most of the other food comes in larger portions. Also they skimp on the salad.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Please send me the mushrooms - every savoury dish can be improved by the addition of mushrooms. I just finished breakfast a few minutes ago: sausage slices, fried eggs, a fried slice of bread, ..... and fried mushrooms. Washed down with a mug of PG Tips.
I agree wholeheartedly. I love mushrooms, especially on a pizza or when there is butter involved.

Originally Posted by mrken30
I find the gyros smaller than the equivalent doner. i find this surprising because most of the other food comes in larger portions. Also they skimp on the salad.
Gyros are smaller but they do the job for me.

I always get mine plain anyway because I hate warm lettuce. Maybe with onions if I'm in the mood, but usually just the meat does it for me.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't that depend on the restaurant and the size, in both the US and the UK? The restaurant where I most often get an gyro serves gyros of a good size, but with the salad on the side, and so much of it that it couldn't fit in the pita even if you tried.

Until a year or so back I used to order an gyro and share it with little Miss P (she isn't as little as she was), and there was plenty of food for both of us. In fact I usually ordered a second pita because there is enough meat to fill two pitas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 16th 2016 at 3:48 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doesn't that depend on the restaurant and the size, in both the US and the UK? The restaurant where I most often get an gyro serves gyros of a good size, but with the salad on the side, and so much of it that it couldn't fit in the pita even if you tried.

Until a year or so back I used to order an gyro and share it with little Miss P (she isn't as little as she was), and there was plenty of food for both of us.
I was talking generally. In the UK 90% of restaurants/vans, a small Doner will fill me up completely.

I admit, I have only been to about 5 gyro places around here, but they were all small in comparison , except the one from the food cart which , still not as big as the UK one, but was a good size. It was just weird because it came with onions and carrots instead of salad.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:55 pm

I was talking generally. ....
Which was exactly my point. I have had large and small doners from many places and they varied in size. And I would often order a large one and have no problem finishing it. .... But I still don't think that there is an overall pattern to the comparative sizes of doners and gyros.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:14 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of Gyro's am I correct in thinking the right pronunciation is guy-row? and not Jy-row. Apparently it's a big deal.

On the subject of portion sizes - When I first got here, I fell off the wagon. Literally. It was glorious, but all came crashing down to earth thanks to a Skype call where my mother bluntly asked 'What happened?!'.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

'scuse the incursion, what's a gyro?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
On the subject of Gyro's am I correct in thinking the right pronunciation is guy-row? and not Jy-row. Apparently it's a big deal.

On the subject of portion sizes - When I first got here, I fell off the wagon. Literally. It was glorious, but all came crashing down to earth thanks to a Skype call where my mother bluntly asked 'What happened?!'.
I've heard it all ways so I don't even bother trying to get it right anymore. I will try to track down someone of Greek origin to see what the final word is.

I don't find the portion sizes to be especially big here, to be honest. I guess I used to just stuff myself at home but I don't think I get anything here that would have been smaller out of the chippy, or the Chinese/Indian or whatever.

Calories are what matter anyway. Eat what you like, just keep it under or at your TDEE (the calories you need to stay alive and do all the things you do in a given day) and you'll lose/maintain weight as needed. Once I shake the last 50lbs, I'll confirm if it actually works

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
'scuse the incursion, what's a gyro?
Basically a Greek kebab. Pita bread, the same kind of shaved lamb type meat stuff and Tzatziki sauce, which is Greek yoghurt and cucumbers and probably some other shit.

They're the dog's bollocks, IMO.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It has nothing to do with aviation, a Gyro-copter something completely unrelated.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Basically a Greek kebab. Pita bread, the same kind of shaved lamb type meat stuff and Tzatziki sauce, which is Greek yoghurt and cucumbers and probably some other shit.

They're the dog's bollocks, IMO.
It's thick stodgy pita bread, not the thin stuff that you hah to toast and open up into a pocket.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:35 pm

It's thick stodgy pita bread, not the thin stuff that you have to toast and open up into a pocket.
I agree, the pita an gyro (it's pronounced like "hero" but without the "h") comes in is a very poor substitute for a proper doner pita.
It has nothing to do with aviation, a Gyro-copter something completely unrelated.
Nor is it a cheque from the government.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 16th 2016 at 4:37 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:35 pm
I have a comma problem

It's thick stodgy pita bread, not the thin stuff that you hah to toast and open up into a pocket.
I used to order my Doner kebabs on Naan bread, which I think is a little thicker than the Gyro bread, so it wasn't much of an adjustment for me.

They might be better in this area because we have quite a few Greeks around here, of course. Chicago has its own Greektown, and a fair few make their way up to the 'burbs eventually.

TL;DR - Gyros are the shit. Don't eat one every day though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.