Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are people competent where you live?

Are people competent where you live?

Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are people competent where you live?

I ask the question because really some of the crap that happens to me here never happens when I'm in the US.

Like people saying they're going to show up for X reason at X time and they don't appear. Well that's happened in the US, but here I've had X time repeated X times and the buggers still don't show up.

And people can't drive.

I'm sure the fact there are so many immigrants here from various places and back east is part of the reason but it's not the whole reason. (And frankly I tend to think the place would fall apart without them, they come across as the most competent ones!)

Like here is an example, needed some paint, phoned up, said have you got that colour? Oh yes we have. Are you sure? Oh definitely, I've got it right here in my hand (that's what he said). Go there and they haven't and make up some stupid excuse.

Lot of young people here too who have clearly been promoted beyond their level of competence.

I appreciate a lot of Americans don't know where Scotland is but they do appear to be generally competent. Like, the mail gets delivered.

Another example, had some plants put in my garden by a gardener - in the instructions on the tag it specifically points out the spacing requirements, and he put too many in, too close together. How simple does it get?

I know there are stupid people everywhere but the quotient seems to be on the high side around here.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are people competent where you live?

Well driving in Canada is costly, gas costs more, insurance costs more, buying the car costs more, maintaining the car costs more, so no real surprise if people are not seeing the pros in driving.

The people are probably competent around here, but the issue I find is Canadian's and Canadian companies just don't care, Canadian companies are so used to not having to compete, they simply do not care.

There is also a labor shortage in my town for service industry type jobs, so your lucky if they even have enough staff to maintain any basic level of service let alone anything else.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 12th 2015 at 12:11 am.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canadian companies are so used to not having to compete, they simply do not care.
Mmm, that's a good point. That does explain a lot of the nonsense that's happened to me.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I ask the question because really some of the crap that happens to me here never happens when I'm in the US.

Like people saying they're going to show up for X reason at X time and they don't appear. Well that's happened in the US, but here I've had X time repeated X times and the buggers still don't show up.

And people can't drive.
Just described multiple locations where I've lived in the US...same with the other points
Old Sep 12th 2015, 1:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The people are probably competent around here, but the issue I find is Canadian's and Canadian companies just don't care, Canadian companies are so used to not having to compete, they simply do not care.
Have you not shopped in Walmart or a host of clothing shops in any mall?

Bitch about stuff on twitter and it's amazing how quick some companies are to reach out to you, but in the stores, they just don't seem to care at all.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Have you not shopped in Walmart or a host of clothing shops in any mall?

Bitch about stuff on twitter and it's amazing how quick some companies are to reach out to you, but in the stores, they just don't seem to care at all.
We don't have a mall and I can't recall the last time I bought anything in one, but I agree with Wal-Mart they simply don't care, but being the worlds largest retailer with no real competition as a threat, and the fact people keep going despite poor service doesn't encourage a company to improve.

However in my experience in the US the employees at those places don't excel and the companies don't either, they do a better job compared to Canadian companies as so many sectors have no real competition or no competition at all.

Take our 2 major airlines, they both have about equal share of the market, they both have good marketing, but at the end of the day are basically the same for a main cabin passenger (one doesn't have first class, one does.) but if your pissed off at Air Canada you go to Westjet or vice versa, they are the only 2 national carriers and as such neither has any real incentive to compete on the domestic routes and they don't, they just copy each other.

On a whole while the US service is not stellar, it is better then your typical experience will be in this part of Canada. (BC) WA and BC service wise are like night and day, WA service overall is friendly and competent, BC well your lucky to get a hello.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:18 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Generally the same as anywhere else I've been with two main differences:

- Astonishing commitment to paperwork and bureaucracy; and
- I've come across a few individuals with average competency, yet a spectacular opinion of their own abilities.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

WhyteBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by username.exe
Generally the same as anywhere else I've been with two main differences:

- Astonishing commitment to paperwork and bureaucracy; and
- I've come across a few individuals with average competency, yet a spectacular opinion of their own abilities.
So much about the US is 'surface' or appearance': as long as you tell everyone how great you are... it must be true!

Agree about the bureaucracy too... so much form filling and people with a 'computer says no' attitude.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

I know there are stupid people everywhere but the quotient seems to be on the high side around here.
Since you are posting in the U.S. forums it would help if you reminded us precisely where "here" is ....

(and, yes, I know that your location is showing "Canada" but lots of people don't seem to keep that information up to date so I tend not to trust it very much ...)
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by md95065
Since you are posting in the U.S. forums it would help if you reminded us precisely where "here" is ....

(and, yes, I know that your location is showing "Canada" but lots of people don't seem to keep that information up to date so I tend not to trust it very much ...)
I'm in the broom cupboard. It being Saturday night n'all.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It says Calgary?
Old Sep 12th 2015, 11:25 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I called and emailed round various building companies trying to arrange estimates for a bathroom remodel. About 10% of them bothered to contact me back. I presumed it was because I was a woman and therefore couldn't discuss the manly business of power tools (this impression was helped by the ones that actually bothered to talk to me on the phone). Maybe it was just general can't be bothered ness after all!
Old Sep 12th 2015, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weeze
I called and emailed round various building companies trying to arrange estimates for a bathroom remodel. About 10% of them bothered to contact me back. I presumed it was because I was a woman and therefore couldn't discuss the manly business of power tools (this impression was helped by the ones that actually bothered to talk to me on the phone). Maybe it was just general can't be bothered ness after all!
I got stuck in the middle of a project because of this. Foundation work, now she does play the dizzy blond too much. So I roll up and I still am not fluent in US building terminology, eg RSJ is a red beam or an I beam. So I take a friend long who really knows his crap and he obviously gets a very different response.

I do have friends who I trust and know what they are doing, I have helped them and learnt a lot. I actually did a bathroom remodel for another friend. and was told off big time for undercharging. My work is OK but I know I can do better.

I know one guy who is an excellent tiler but will not do a remodel as it is too fiddly and time intensive and people will not pay what it is worth, he sticks mainly to new houses.

People who are good can pick and choose, plenty of work out there, but there are a lot of iffy types as well. If you find someone good remember that they are probably stacked up with other projects. You need them more than they need you.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Sep 12th 2015 at 12:46 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Been waiting since March for a certain person to come and quote us for painting the house.
Also since April for plumber to come and install a water tap on the balcony.
Waited 387 days for a water bill-when it arrived it was zero-result!
Old Sep 12th 2015, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not exactly complicated to install a tap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.