Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Our First Gas BBQ (Oh OK then Grill!!)

Our First Gas BBQ (Oh OK then Grill!!)

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:26 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our First Gas BBQ (Oh OK then Grill!!)

So we figure we will take the plunge this year and purchase our first gas grill and enjoy the great outdoors. Let me first start by saying the closest we have ever gotten to a BBQ is a disposable thingy back home. We have got an outdoor gas connection on the patio so figure we should utilise that rather than use bottles of gas.

Has anyone got any tips on buying, using, cleaning these things.

We have seen a MasterForge 5 burner grill in Lowes (think it was $549) that has an infrared searing side burner and the option of a rotisserie but are these just gimmicks or are they worth having? Any input welcome
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our First Gas BBQ (Oh OK then Grill!!)

We've only used those cans of gas, first the camping ones and then the larger ones....nothing as posh as a mains supply.

One thing, don't have the thing to near a wall, it'll get hot and you could knacker the brickwork/woodwork.

No idea about the gimmicks, but having a thermonitor is a big plus....the chicken spit is only worth it if you're going to actually use it...and considering where you are, with outdoor kitchens being popular, you possibly would.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:58 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Rotisseries are good if you're going to use them, like Bob said. I want one but for other reasons, this summer I'm modifying an outdoor grill into a pizza oven that can get up to 900F and the Rotisseries can be modded so as to turn the pizza stone around so you get even cooking without the need to turn it

Slightly off topic there...

To your question, grills like the master forge are good, you don't really NEED infrared but the technology is there and it has it's benefits, the main one being speed in my opinion.

There are plenty of grills like the Master Forge out there, if I was buying a new one it would be a Weber, along with a simple Weber Charcoal grill (If I didn't already have one), you can often find the older charcoal Webers at garage sales, I have one from 1969 that was given to me recently, it holds its heat a lot better than the newer ones but takes longer to heat up, as is the case with a lot of ovens.

Shop around, and wait for the sales, I'm not sure which sales are cheaper though, going into summer or coming out of summer when they are clearing stock.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:25 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, I was going to do the Lowes Tax Refund Card thing (where you get an extra 10% of what you put on) but will look around for sales.

I kinda like the idea of the rotisserie so might spring for that, would be nice to be able to do chickens myself instead of buying them from the supermarket LOL!

Definitely want it before June when the in-laws arrive for their 4 week holiday followed by sister in law and kids for 3 weeks

MrEmjoy won't your pizza fall off if it turns upside down
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

We use our grill all the time after the end of March. Have never bothered getting one with a rotisserie thing. Usually bung chicken breasts into a a zip lock bag with lemon juice, bit og olive oil and some herbs for at least 30 mins and then chuck it on the grill.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
We use our grill all the time after the end of March. Have never bothered getting one with a rotisserie thing. Usually bung chicken breasts into a a zip lock bag with lemon juice, bit og olive oil and some herbs for at least 30 mins and then chuck it on the grill.
We use our grill all year round. When it snows hubby's first job is to clear a path to the grill.

BTW we have a Weber grill...it's 13 years old and still going strong.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:40 am
Chocoholic !

How do you guys clean them - I see folk saying just turn it to high once you are done to burn the stuff off ?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:10 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We built an outdoor kitchen about this time last year, and have used it a lot. I put in an AOG (think made by the same people as Firemagic, but a quarter the cost) that came with a back burner and a rotisserie thingy. You can count on the thumbs on one hand how many times they've been used, and that was right after installation to make sure they worked! HEB do pretty good rotisserie chickens, so I get mine from there and avoid the hassle! Depends on how often you are likely to use it - I'd say if it comes with it, take it, but if they want extra cash for it, pass.

On the cleaning - I always crank up to full heat for about 20 mins after finishing cooking, so burn off as much fat/grease as I can, then finish off with lots of kitchen roll. With the old portable I just used to roll it onto a patch of deadground and flush it out with the garden hose. Probably why they never seemed to last too long.....
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
How do you guys clean them - I see folk saying just turn it to high once you are done to burn the stuff off ?
I never did, probably why it died when we moved

But decent wire brush and scrub it down when your done is more than enough.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:43 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
So we figure we will take the plunge this year and purchase our first gas grill and enjoy the great outdoors. Let me first start by saying the closest we have ever gotten to a BBQ is a disposable thingy back home. We have got an outdoor gas connection on the patio so figure we should utilise that rather than use bottles of gas.

Has anyone got any tips on buying, using, cleaning these things.

We have seen a MasterForge 5 burner grill in Lowes (think it was $549) that has an infrared searing side burner and the option of a rotisserie but are these just gimmicks or are they worth having? Any input welcome
My only tip for buying is take a magnet. The less it sticks to the grill the better grade of stainless steel it is.

As for cleaning crank it up to high for a few minutes after cooking then just wire brush the charcoaly crap off. Oh and buy a cleaning brush with a wooden handle, if you try to clean a very hot grill with a plastic handled jobby all the wire bristles fall out (I know from experience).
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

The gas grill is one of the few things I wish I still had from my time over there! :-(
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:40 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to try to find one that has cast iron cooking grates- and to check out the on-line reviews. The cast iron grates last for years- vs the cheap welded steel grates which you will have to replace every year or two.
Our last grill had a cheap (cheaply made, not to buy as I found out) stainless steel burner assy. which had to be replaced after only 1 year- and cost almost as much as the grill did when new), along with the flame cover, brackets and igniters. As I looked for parts on-line I found many reviews of the same model which said the exact same thing...but then again it was the $150 Walmart Uniflame crap model so I guess I should have expected it.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the burners and burner warranty, they are the most expensive part to replace. Having had 3 covers blow away no matter how the were secured, I'd recommend a flat top rather than the barrel shape so you can put some bricks or whatever on the top. As said, the grates are also worth checking out, especially size shape and spacing. Thin, large spaced ones are annoying to cook on. The IR frills sound interesting and you don't lose food but I don't really know if they are worth the extra.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:36 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

get a Weber for quality
Old Feb 24th 2011, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
get a Weber for quality
People kept telling me that when I got my grill 4-5 years or so ago. Theirs all have rust holes, peeling paint (or whatever they use to color them) and dodgy burners even though they are not much older than mine. I have a cheapish Charbroil I assembled myself (badly!) and no cover for over a year and it's got no signs of rust and the burners are fine. Maybe Weber is a good brand (or were a good brand in the past) but based on what I've seen I don't think they are worth spending the extra money on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.