OT vcr and stuff

Old Jun 26th 2001, 5:53 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping to take my vcr from here and the kids playstation and n64 when we go.

Has anyone had any experience on how to get this PAL things to work on a NTSC tv or cheap conversion suppliers?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2001, 6:26 pm
Andy Platt

Take your TV and convert the voltage might end up being cheapest. In general it's far
harder to go from PAL to NTSC because of the loss of resolution (whereas it's very
easy for PAL TVs to allow NTSC resolution at the slightly higher rate of 60Hz rather
than 50Hz). Additionally the demand for playing NTSC stuff in Europe is far greater
than the other way around. This tends to mean that European TVs might accept NTSC
(usually they accept what is called PAL-60 which most VCRs will put out given an NTSC
tape) there are very few US TVs that accept PAL.

One thing you'll find is that for Playstation (possibly N64 but I don't have one of
those so I'm not sure) is you won't be able to use PS games you buy in the US unless
the PlayStation is chipped (and, of course, if you bought a
PS in the US that wouldn't be able to run the games you are bringing across).

Alternatively you can buy TVs in the US that will play PAL. Here's one website (this
isn't a recommendation, just a search result):

http://www.110-220volts.com/Prod_MSTV.shtml

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 26th 2001, 6:33 pm
Grinch

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Sell em.

Grinch

Old Jun 26th 2001, 6:55 pm
Jonathan_ATC

You know a lot more than just immigration. This is very useful information. Thanks
for posting it. We were trying to figure out if Taiwan has the same type of TV as
here. We think they are both NTSC. The tapes Che-Ning bought over from there work in
our VCR and on our TV's just fine. It's outrageous. A movie is just released on a
Friday night in the USA. By 10
a.m. Saturday it is available in video stores in Taiwan. I could not believe the
piracy I saw there. Pretty bizarre.

--
    >

>
general

<snip>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 26th 2001, 6:57 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much for your help. One other question is the VCR is going to be taken from here (if i decide to do it) its about 2 years old. Do you think i will have to pay duty or taxes on it and duties and taxes on the game systems?

Thanks
Old Jun 26th 2001, 7:42 pm
Shawn Seabrook

[usenetquote2]> > I am hoping to take my vcr from here and the kids playstation and n64 when we go.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Has anyone had any experience on how to get this PAL things to work on a NTSC tv[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > or cheap conversion suppliers?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

Well, that's my philosophy. Sold the TV, hi-fi and VCR (all a good seven years old)
and got rid of the videos (didn't have many and most I haven't watched in years).

As for the console, the N64 relies on a physical lock-out (rather than a chip-based
lock-out as preferred by Sony). You need to open up the casing of your console and
remove the grey guard hanging beneath the cartridge port. Unfortunately, this means
there's now nothing to hold the dust covers in place. Mind you, this is never a
problem if you always keep a game in the slot at all times.

Seeing as the new Nintendo GameCube is coming out on November 5th for $200, maybe
there's one idea for someone's Christmas present...

Shawn. www.shawnseabrook.com

Old Jun 27th 2001, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

smldnabjp is an unknown quantity at this point

my fiance wanted to bring his video's here but in my opinion it was just to much work to try to find the stuff so we could use them and its far cheaper to just replace the video's he really likes and the same could be said about about the tv and vcr, for $300 you can get an okay tv and vcr.
Old Jun 27th 2001, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought a UK TV and VCR, and use it to play both PAL and NTSC videos (newer British VCRs have NTSC playback, even the cheap ones).

We have a transformer that we use for all our UK electricals - not stuff we use everyday (apart from the TV), but things like battery chargers for UK tools, the computer scanner. It works absolutely fine for everything we've tried.

Saying that, we didn't personally pay for relocation so the shipping costs didn't bother us, and we will be returning to the UK in a couple of years so will want our stuff when we get there.

I'd say that if you want to use these gadgets long term in the US, and you are paying your own shipping, you are probably better off leaving them behind in the UK and buying new in the US. A PS1 Playstation costs under $100; same for a small TV. If you do want your PAL VCR, you will also need a PAL TV.
Old Jun 27th 2001, 2:21 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

Okay, thanks for all the advice guys