OT-Taxes

Old Jan 14th 2002, 6:47 pm
Mary Graves

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year.

I am trying to understand my tax situation. We were married Dec. 1; my husband earned
no income in the US last year. I understand we could still file jointly, but there
would be a lot of paperwork involved first declaring, then excluding his U K income.

Would it be possible for me to file married, filing separately, but declare him as an
exemption? Then I get the benefit of the 2900 exemption without all the complicated
paperwork involved in filing jointly.

Thanks.

Mary J. Graves

Old Jan 14th 2002, 6:57 pm
Andy Platt

If you file separately, you can get the exemption for your spouse. You will get more
money if you file jointly though. It really shouldn't be very much paperwork to
include his income in the grand scheme of things.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 15th 2002, 2:58 am
Shelley

You can always file for an extension - when my husband first came to the US, we had
his Canadian taxes done first, and then did our US taxes. We also had an accountant
do our taxes that year to make sure we had everything right. Take Care. Shelley

>
will
    >
much
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi everyone,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Happy New Year.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am trying to understand my tax situation. We were married Dec. 1; my husband[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > earned no income in the US last year. I understand we could still file jointly,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > but there would be a lot of paperwork involved first declaring, then excluding[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > his U K income.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Would it be possible for me to file married, filing separately, but declare him[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > as an exemption? Then I get the benefit of the 2900 exemption without all the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > complicated paperwork involved in filing jointly.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Mary J. Graves[/usenetquote2]
    >