OT: Taxes

Old Mar 9th 2001, 10:36 am
Lisa \B\

Just a bit of info for all.

The IRS will prepare your taxes for free if you go to your local office. I went in at
11:00 the morning, they looked over all of my papers. Filled out a form, and gave me an
appointment for 13:00. The Illinois IRS was right next door, and I popped in there after,
and that was done in about 10 minutes!

It took about 15 minutes, and about 15 for them to decide I should file single head of
household. Luckily I knew that from reading the posts here, and also the IRS website.
Publication 519 explains about filing for foreigners and non-resident spouses. The Tax
Identification Number as well. They even gave me the form for the TIN!! After he gets here
I just need to cross reference the TIN with the SS # .

The Illinois IRS was right next door, and I popped in there after, and that was done in
about 10 minutes!

Still, it saved me the 90$ I would have paid the accountant, and I have no idea what H&R
Block charges any longer. I stopped going to them a few years ago.

I will have my refund back in 2 weeks as well!! Amazing that I would even get a refund
considering I had to withdraw ALL of my 401k money last year!!

Cheers!

Lisa (B)