Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT- This is slightly more than a test.

OT- This is slightly more than a test.

Old Feb 4th 2001, 2:14 am
Onigiri

I am not seeing any newly posted info on the ng. So here is a test. Instead of a
dummy test, I have a short story. You are free to guess how it may apply and not be
OT after all.

(Abridged {by onigiri} from "Hang-Ball and Greedy", Translated by Arthur Ryder, 1925)

In a certain town lived a bull named Hang-Ball. From excess male vigor he abandoned the
herd and went wild in the forest. In that forest lived a jackal named Greedy. One day he
sprawled at ease with his wife on a sandy river bank. At that moment the bull came down to
river for a drink. The she-jackall said to her husband when she saw the hanging testicles:
" Look, my dear! See how two lumps of flesh hand from that bull. They will fall in a
moment, or a few hours at most. So you must follow him, please" "My dear," said the
jackal, "nobody knows. Perhaps they will fall today, perhaps some day, perhaps not. Why
send me on a fool's errand ? I will rather stay here with you and eat the mice that come
to water. They follow this trail. If I went to follow him, somebody else will come here
and occupy the spot. Better not do it." "Come," she said, " you are a coward, satisfied
with any little thing. A man ought to be energetic and ambitious" and she continued "
Besides, I am tired of mouse flesh, and these two lumps of flesh are plainly on the point
of falling. You must not refuse me." After this, the jackal left the spot where mouse
aplenty are to be had and followed Hang-Ball. (voice over ..) Only while he does not hear
Women's whisper in his ear, Goading him against his will, Is a man his master still.

So he spent much time wandering after the bull. But they did not fall. At last in the
fifteenth year, in utter gloom he said to his wife: "Loose they are, yet tight; Fall, or
stick, my dear ? I have watched them now Till the fifteenth year Let us draw the
conclusion that they will not fall int he future either, and return to the old
mouse-trail."
-------------------------------------------------------------