Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: non-legal marriage ceremony--how???

OT: non-legal marriage ceremony--how???

Old Dec 17th 2001, 2:16 am
Evergreen

I say "non-legal" to differentiate between that and "illegal".....

This is a little off-topic, but it is the activities discussed in this newsgroup that
lead me to this situation.....ahem......

My fiancee and I (I am the USC) have applied for our K1...the info has been sent.
Hopefully this will all go through okay, she can come here, and we can get married.
One problem.... The wedding situation. We originally had planned on getting married
in Germany (where she lives as a citizen) but realized that timewise, the K1 seems to
do much better than the I130. (at least from what I have gathered) So we changed
plans to now get married in the USA.

We still want to have some sort of wedding in Germany, but we can't seem to find any
way to have a non-legal ceremony. We can't get the government people (who usually
perform the wedding) to perform the ceremony because they won't do it for a marriage
that is not legally binding. I don't see why they can't perform the ceremony and just
not fill out the paperwork.....boggles my mind. We can't have a religious person
(priest/minister/etc.) perform the ceremony because neither of us is a member of any
particular church and the religious leaders seem to only want to do it for members of
their church/religion. So now we are stuck as to some way we can have a wedding
ceremony in Germany, but have the legal one in the USA. We can't seem to find anyone
to perform the ceremony, but I just don't think our request is that unreasonable.

Has anyone else been in this sort of situation? Perhaps have any suggestions??? We
really want to have a wedding in both countries to appease both families, but how???

Old Dec 17th 2001, 2:27 am
Betastar

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:16:09 GMT, "Evergreen" <[email protected]> spake:

>
    >

Must there be a ceremony? Many of us get the K-1, get married in the US, file for
advanced parole, and once that's in hand, go back to the "other" country to have
either a blessing of the marriage ceremony (which you might be able to have done) or
else just a party to celebrate the marriage.

But if you're going the K1 route, you'll have to get married in the US and get your
advanced parole first.

Old Dec 17th 2001, 3:04 am
Evergreen

>

Ummmmmmmm.........there doesn't *have* to be, but we *really* would like one. The
fiancee's family probably won't be able to attend the USA wedding, so as you can
imagine, that would, shall we say, ease diplomatic relations.

>
    >
    >
    >

Okay. That makes sense. Although I was hoping to have a ceremony in both countries,
it looks like this might be the only option--having some sort of marriage celebration
party. It just amazes me that it is so difficult to have a non-legal ceremony....
<shaking my head

Old Dec 17th 2001, 9:25 am
Kacey

Ok...why does it have to be performed by someone that would typically perform a
wedding ceremony? If all your going for is a ceremony that will in no way be binding,
anyone can perform it. Let's face it, just about every one of us knows all the words
to a wedding ceremony. A friend, a family member, whatever. I would think this could
be rather lovely, if you customize it creatively. Just an idea.

[usenetquote2]> > Must there be a ceremony?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
wedding,
    >
relations.
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > Many of us get the K-1, get married in the US, file for advanced parole, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > once that's in hand, go back to the "other" country to have either a blessing of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the marriage ceremony (which you might be able to have done) or else just a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > party to celebrate the marriage.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
of
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 17th 2001, 11:35 am
Alvena Ferreira

Evergreen wrote:
    >
    >
    >

I vote for a blessing ceremony, with everyone present, and then an engagement party
afterwards. It would be quite legal, and you would have a chance to express your
sincerity of the vows you plan to make in the future, plus you'd have a nice time to
meet the relatives and make them all feel special. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Dec 18th 2001, 4:11 am
Evergreen

Good ideas! Definitely! Now will just have to think of who to do the blessing and
what to say..... The way things are looking now with the good ole TSC, it looks like
I may have pleeeeeenty of time to work on this, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

>
[usenetquote2]> > Has anyone else been in this sort of situation? Perhaps have any suggestions???[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > We really want to have a wedding in both countries to appease both families, but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > how???[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >