OT... K-9 Fluff

Old Nov 26th 2001, 8:43 pm
Ntepy

UK K-1/K-2's Taking our dog

Can anyone tell me....

US Customs, US Department of Agriculture, and US Public Health Service insist that my
pet dog only needs, a certificate of good health consisting of a letter from our vets
on business letter head stationary. But they all refuse to so state this in writing
or fax it to my vet, to reassure him that the correct requirements are met. Aparently
UK vets issue a DEFRA signed export health certificate. But this could take ages to
get, and I want to be with my blokey by this xmas, with our dog!

What to do? Has any one else experience of this? is a DEFRA thing really needed? And
if not, how do can I convince a UK vet?

Sorry... ntepy

Old Dec 23rd 2001, 8:42 pm
Newyorker

ntepy wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'm sure that by this time you have worked this out. I will say though that I don't
believe you were given the full information regarding necessary documents required
when importing a dog.

I do have experience dealing with the export side of it ( my fiance aquired a dog
while visiting the US and took her back to Canada). It seemed very confusing at
first, but turned out to be quite easy.

I would have told the vet that I was boarding the little guy and needed
duplicates of health and vaccine certificates (most airlines require their own
documentation as well).

Here's a link for the CDC's import requirements:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/animal.htm

Alternatively, you could print this out and show it to your vet, especially if the
dog will need a -light- sedative for a long flight, or a certificate of acclimation,
which is required by most airlines over the colder months.

For anyone accompanying a pet between Canada and the US, we had an excellent
experience using AirCanada. We researched all airlines that had a direct flight
between our two cities and felt they had the healthiest cargo conditions and were the
most pet-friendly. Fiance picked up the little one at Pearson Airport with a small
crowd of Animal Inspection agents and fellow travellers fussing over her (we taped a
'hello-my-name-is please say hi to me this is my first trip' sign on her crate).

Hope it helps in the future.

Regards, NewYorker
---------------------------------------
All advice given is personal, not professional. If you need professional immigration
assistance, please consult a lawyer.

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm