OT: IRS Problems

Old Jun 3rd 2001, 7:35 pm
Betastar

This is totally off-topic but I guess a heads-up for people too.

We did our taxes for 2000 and had to send 'em to Philly because of the Foreign Earned
Income thing. I'm sure there's lots of people who are in that boat.

Well, Reinhard being self-employed we *also* have to send in estimated tax payments
for 2001 income. One of those is due on the 15th.

Having never done this before, we weren't sure what to do, so I called the IRS to ask
for help today. (We want to know how to estimate, and if I need to put my income etc.
in there as well - do we just pay our taxes on our incomes through May and leave it
at that? Or what?)

Anyway... seems they have absolutely NO RECORD of Reinhard in their computer. None.
Nada. Zippo. Nothing. And no record of my having paid 2000 taxes. This, even though
we send our joint return AND sent Reinhard's first estimated tax payment (though it
was an underpayment).

They see my 1999 return, but nothing for me for 2000. (His was the "main" SS# on
the return)

So we have to straighten that one out, I guess.

But I wanted to give a "heads up" to people, that apparently at least one return that
was sent to Philly didn't get into the computer system (though they did take the
money out of our bank account.)

Betastar thinking "INS and IRS - dealing with BOTH makes me insane!)