OT: Holiday Travel

Old Jul 18th 2001, 7:47 pm
Steve & Lisa

Just got an e-mail from Bestfares, and thought some from the UK and Europe may be
interested in the deals for Christmas.

Lisa www.britsintheus.com

<snip>

THANKSGIVING/XMAS/NEW YEARS IN EUROPE FROM $313 RT

We continue our Christmas in July sale in Europe. Usually the week before Christmas
airfares to Europe can be as high as summer peak rates, but not here at
Bestfares.com. How about airfares to London from $313 roundtrip departing November 1
through December 31, 2001 and returning by January 30, 2002 with no blackout dates?
This could save you up to $500 roundtrip. Spend Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah or
New Years at unheard of airfares. Fares start at $323 roundtrip to Amsterdam, $335
roundtrip to Brussels, $343 roundtrip to Paris or Manchester (UK), $368 roundtrip to
Frankfurt or Munich or an amazing $378 roundtrip to spend Christmas in Rome. We also
have specials to Madrid, Barcelona, Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, Zurich, Milan,
Warsaw, Athens, Istanbul and many more from Nice to Naples. Check out our specials
for July and August departures, September and October specials and our Thanksgiving,
Christmas and New Years fares to Europe. Many of these offers can only be found on
Bestfares.com. Eat your heart out Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia. Visit
http://www.bestfares.com/travel/desks/story.asp?id=58

Old Jul 19th 2001, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the membership to bestfares.com really worth the $59? Do they consistently beat the airlines and online consolidators? I'm wondering if after surcharges and taxes are added are the final fares lower than anywhere else? I'm also wary of these pay sites for airfares. Right now the cheapest BA flight from BWI to LGW at the end of October I can find is $1042 for 2 tickets after taxes and charges, that still seems high yet it's a good $300-500 cheaper than BA or anywhere else I can find. Why is such a flight so expensive for such an off-peak time as end of October beginning of November?
-Matt
Old Jul 19th 2001, 4:12 pm
paulgani

>
    >

I had a membership for one year. The answer was no, they don't *consistently* beat
the airlines and consolidators. But do they beat them from time to time? The
answer is yes, if you have flexibility in travel arrangements. I flew once from
Baltimore to San Francisco for $168 RT, and another time from Baltimore to
Vancouver for $130 RT or so.

However, many of the deals you can take advantage of yourself - you can find out
about them on their free Newsdesk. So don't bother to subscribe until you see a
members only deal that you're sure you want to take advantage of.

Paulgani