Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Dual Citizenships

OT: Dual Citizenships

Old Jun 15th 2001, 12:50 pm
Steve & Lisa

Hi all, been ages since we've posted here.

Steve and I are expecting. Do any of you know how to go about registering birth and
getting UK passport for a child with one UK parent?

Also while I'm at it, have any of you already filed your petition to remove
conditions. We file in a month to have the conditions removed from Steve's GC and I
think we have all we need but wondered what other's sent in. Here is what we have
accounts in both our names, Lease in both names, Affidavits by friends & relatives
stating they've known us for past two years and we are a couple, pictures, bills with
both names on it, tax returns in both names, Life insurance policies showing each
other as beneficiary.....are we forgetting anything?

Regards,

Lisa

Old Jun 15th 2001, 1:05 pm
Andy Platt

>
    >
    >
    >

You don't need to register your child (although you can if you want). The details on
this and getting the passport can be found here:

http://www.britain-info.org/consular...pe=25&Other_ID
=205

FWIW, Deana & I have decided we won't get our children a UK passport initially
because they only last five years which is quite an expense for no real reason. They
can always get one when they're 16 if they want! Apparently, though I haven't checked
with the embassy on this yet, you can get a stamp in their US passport that shows
they are a UK citizen. Since our child isn't due to make it's arrival for another
month, I haven't yet researched all of these issues yet!

>
remove
    >
    >

There's a pretty comprehensive list in the FAQ which is worth comparing your
list against:

http://www.k1faq.com/#7.8

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 15th 2001, 1:46 pm
Steve & Lisa

I always try to plan ahead so I have everything ready to go when I need it, and I'm
sure after the baby comes I'll be a bit busy, so thought I'd ask early. =o)

Started getting things ready for filing the petition in January and looks like we are
pretty set for our filing information although I'd not thought about a cover letter
so happy to receive that tip. I should have stated we were I-130 not K-1 though.

Thanks for the info Andy!

Lisa

Old Jun 15th 2001, 1:48 pm
Andy Platt

>
    >
    >
    >

I remembered that, but once you're at removal of conditions, the difference is pretty
miniscule.

Andy.

--

Old Jun 15th 2001, 9:11 pm
Stephen Gallagher

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

The stamp that you can get, which is called a "Certificate of Entitlement to Right
of Abode" doesn't say that your child is a British Citizen. What is will say is that
your child has the right to live and work in the UK without restriction, and he or
she is exempt from UK immigration rules. This stamp is issued to British Citizens
(in their foreign passports), and to certain Commonwealth citizens with parental
ties to the UK.

When I last checked, the cost of obtaining this stamp was more than the cost of a
passport, so it may be worth it for you to get them a British passport if you want
them to have any initial documentation of their British status.

It would be worth it for you to have their birth's registered at a British consulate.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jun 18th 2001, 11:58 am
Steve & Lisa

Thanks for the info! Lisa

When I last checked, the cost of obtaining this stamp was more than the cost of a
passport, so it may be worth it for you to get them a British passport if you want
them to have any initial documentation of their British status.

It would be worth it for you to have their birth's registered at a British consulate.

Stephen Gallagher

Old Jun 18th 2001, 12:33 pm
Andy Platt

Cheers! I'm not really that bothered about him or her having something because we're
not planning on moving there or anything. I will register the birth though - my wife
says it's unnecessary but I say why not do it anyway?

Andy.

--

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > FWIW, Deana & I have decided we won't get our children a UK passport initially[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > because they only last five years which is quite an expense[/usenetquote2]
for no
[usenetquote2]> > real reason. They can always get one when they're 16 if they want! Apparently,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > though I haven't checked with the embassy on this yet, you[/usenetquote2]
can
[usenetquote2]> > get a stamp in their US passport that shows they are a UK citizen.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >