Orlando shootings

Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orlando shootings

Originally Posted by Bob
To all the pro gun folks, have any of you ever had a gun stuck in your face?

Just curious.
Myself, no. My daughter carries one in Mississippi because her businesses were both robbed at gun point.

I'm sure it is not something anyone wants to have to go through. I'm glad your wife came through it without being shot. The trauma must have been hell to get through.

My husband, my eldest daughter and my youngest daughter all have and 'had' guns. All obtained legally and all with a background check. Hubby was in the military for 36 years so he knows how to handle a long gun and a pistol but still took lessons after so many years to bring himself up to speed. Both girls took lessons on how to handle and shoot their pistols. The youngest no longer has her gun but turned it into the police when she moved back to New York. She only purchased it when she lived in Virginia and there was a serial rapist in her area.

For myself, I'm not pro gun, at least I don't consider myself to be. But then again, I'm not against private ownership of guns by those who adhere to the laws in their state. At home our guns and rifles are keep under lock and key and not loaded, except for one which hubby keeps close at hand in the bedroom in the rare case the house is invaded. Am I happy about this? I don't think about it one way or the other. It is just something that is.

I'm being truthful here and while I will be mocked and probably set upon because of my view and/or attitude, so be it. I'm entitled to my opinion(s)
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:34 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Myself, no. My daughter carries one in Mississippi because her businesses were both robbed at gun point.

I'm sure it is not something anyone wants to have to go through. I'm glad your wife came through it without being shot. The trauma must have been hell to get through.

My husband, my eldest daughter and my youngest daughter all have and 'had' guns. All obtained legally and all with a background check. Hubby was in the military for 36 years so he knows how to handle a long gun and a pistol but still took lessons after so many years to bring himself up to speed. Both girls took lessons on how to handle and shoot their pistols. The youngest no longer has her gun but turned it into the police when she moved back to New York. She only purchased it when she lived in Virginia and there was a serial rapist in her area.

For myself, I'm not pro gun, at least I don't consider myself to be. But then again, I'm not against private ownership of guns by those who adhere to the laws in their state. At home our guns and rifles are keep under lock and key and not loaded, except for one which hubby keeps close at hand in the bedroom in the rare case the house is invaded. Am I happy about this? I don't think about it one way or the other. It is just something that is.

I'm being truthful here and while I will be mocked and probably set upon because of my view and/or attitude, so be it. I'm entitled to my opinion(s)
While I dislike guns and have no desire to own one, I do not say that all rights to gun ownership should be taken away. It is the assault weapons that can fire round after round in a matter of seconds that I object to. And I have not heard the gun lobby come up with one sensible reason as to why anyone other than law enforcement needs to have such a weapon.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
A lot is to do with respect. I lot of people do not respect two things that can kill people, cars and guns. Unfortunately there are people that should not own or have possession of either of these two things.
Comes back to my first point on this thread which is the divorce between rights and responsibilities with regards to gun ownership in this country. Owning a gun should be a privilege and a responsibility.

Too many Americans act like this collection of oxygen wasters. Guns are not toys, they are tools.

STFU Parents; Guns And Safety On Facebook
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:54 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
While I dislike guns and have no desire to own one, I do not say that all rights to gun ownership should be taken away. It is the assault weapons that can fire round after round in a matter of seconds that I object to. And I have not heard the gun lobby come up with one sensible reason as to why anyone other than law enforcement needs to have such a weapon.
I think a guy (who is not military) feels that ownership of an AR-15/M-16 somehow substitutes for physical shortcomings in the lower regions
Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
.... It is the assault weapons that can fire round after round in a matter of seconds that I object to. .....
That is the large majority of rifles, maybe 75% (anything that isn't "bolt action" or "lever action"), and pretty much all pistols, with the caveat that most revolvers are limited to six shots before a relatively slow reload is required.

What is usually not appreciated is how quickly a magazine can be switched. The idea that limiting magazines to ten rounds provides a huge window of opposition to tackle the gunman is patent nonsense. Take a look at this:

The demo starts at 1m30s, and the summary of results is at 7m10s.

FWIW the Germans in WWI reported that they were under attack by British machine guns when in fact the British infantry were equipped with bolt action Lee Enfield rifles, where each bullet is chambered by pulling something a lot like an old-fashioned gate bolt back and forth, and every 5 rounds they had to manually reload a new clip of bullets. The drill for this procedure is known as the "mad minute", and it is possible to fire over 30 rounds in a minute, including clip reloads. Here is a demonstration:

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2016 at 1:23 am.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I think a guy (who is not military) feels that ownership of an AR-15/M-16 somehow substitutes for physical shortcomings in the lower regions
Well I have one and I also posses huge feet, statistically speaking of course.

Seriously, why are we comparing the uk and us homicide rates? No one in their right mind thinks the US is safer.

Also, I think this guy hated homosexusls more than he really liked ISIS. And if that's true I can find plenty of Christians in the US with similar views.

Lastly, there won't be any new laws made just before an election.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

There weren't really any new laws after the last one anyway, apart from a bit more spending on mental health, so they won't start now especially when there is another boogie man to blame instead.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:30 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Well I have one and I also posses huge feet, statistically speaking of course.

Seriously, why are we comparing the uk and us homicide rates? No one in their right mind thinks the US is safer.

Also, I think this guy hated homosexusls more than he really liked ISIS. And if that's true I can find plenty of Christians in the US with similar views.

Lastly, there won't be any new laws made just before an election.
Christians don't go around shootings gays though, They just read the bible at them and tell them they're damned if they don't repent.

President Hillary just like Obama wont get anywhere with the NRA and there will be nutters like Maheed and Roof who will surface now and again and kill for either race, religion or sexual orientation.

It's shitty world we live in but we have to go on existing in it and enjoying life as best we can
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36525219

This implies he was gay.

I'm sure the ISIS fanboys won't be claiming him now.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36525219

This implies he was gay. ....
I read the article before you linked to it. I have just reread it, and I don't agree at all - it looks to me like premeditation and careful planning. Given that he was familiar with the club's layout explains how he was able to kill so many, take hostages, and hide out in a place where the police couldn't readily access him once they had the building surrounded.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Christians don't go around shootings gays though, They just read the bible at them and tell them they're damned if they don't repent.

President Hillary just like Obama wont get anywhere with the NRA and there will be nutters like Maheed and Roof who will surface now and again and kill for either race, religion or sexual orientation.

It's shitty world we live in but we have to go on existing in it and enjoying life as best we can
Yes, I think this is about right.

Problem, though. "Nutters" may not be a technical term in DSM-5 or whatever. The gun-rights brigade want to deflect any move toward sensible gun control by advocating for better mental health provision. First, it's hard to see a small-government party budget massive amounts of taxpayer dollars for comprehensive mental health care. Second, were Roof & Maheed mentally ill?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I read the article before you linked to it. I have just reread it, and I don't agree at all - it looks to me like premeditation and careful planning. Given that he was familiar with the club's layout explains how he was able to kill so many, take hostages, and hide out in a place where the police couldn't readily access him once they had the building surrounded.
And the app?
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

And the app?
and getting drunk there - if you're doing careful planning then getting sh1tfaced isn't a good idea
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Philk
and getting drunk there - if you're doing careful planning then getting sh1tfaced isn't a good idea
A fair point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.