Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Old unopened Branston pickle--would you?

Old unopened Branston pickle--would you?

Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old unopened Branston pickle--would you?

Quick question to solve a big argument here. The husband & I are helping clear out a house of a relative who's passed away here in the US.

We've heaved out loads of expired food from ancient times. The husband found a few sealed (unopened obviously) jars of Branston pickle at the back of a cupboard, one to be sold by 2002 & one 2012. He claims pickles can survive well beyond their sell by dates. So he wants to keep (& eat) the second.

This has caused a family firestorm! Granted the sacrilege that this relative did NOT consume her Branston pickle in a timely manner.... Would you dare to eat that second BP?

Last edited by WEBlue; Aug 10th 2017 at 10:52 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old unopened Branston pickle--would you?

No, I wouldn't if it is past the expiration date. However, since it the SELL BY DATE you are speaking of, why don't you just contact Branston Pickle Company online and ask them.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'd be sorely tempted.

Give it the sniff test first.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Quick question to solve a big argument here. The husband & I are helping clear out a house of a relative who's passed away here in the US.

We've heaved out loads of expired food from ancient times. The husband found a few sealed (unopened obviously) jars of Branston pickle at the back of a cupboard, one to be sold by 2002 & one 2012. He claims pickles can survive well beyond their sell by dates. So he wants to keep (& eat) the second.

This has caused a family firestorm! Granted the sacrilege that this relative did NOT consume her Branston pickle in a timely manner.... Would you dare to eat that second BP?
If it was something pickled in vinegar, perhaps, but I would not eat Branson more than two years after its sell by date (and only if unopened and stored at an even cool temperature). You don't really know the history of these jars.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 11:37 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it vacuum sealed? The type with the circle in the top that pops up once it has been opened? If so I definitely would. Even if not then I probably would. I ate a jar of jam from the 1980s a few years ago and lived to tell the tale.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:15 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Is it vacuum sealed? The type with the circle in the top that pops up once it has been opened? If so I definitely would. Even if not then I probably would. I ate a jar of jam from the 1980s a few years ago and lived to tell the tale.
But you can get Branston in any supermarket in CT (at least in my area) for around $5. Is it really worth the risk, however small, to eat something that could be tainted?
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:19 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input, everyone!

It turns out the Husband misspoke--the date is a plain date stamp with neither "Use by" nor "Sell by" in front of it. Just the month & year: Dec 2012.

I have put the question to Branston's Facebook page. But won't they most likely tell me to follow the date stamp & toss it out? What's the use of a company stamping their products if they turn round & tell customers it's OK to ignore said dates?

Anyway, hubby has used this page to bolster his argument:
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...7110646AAWg38T

It's supposedly about how long to keep opened BP in the fridge, but some responses say they never keep opened ones in the fridge & eat them long after the date stamp, so he thinks he's justified in saying it's safe to eat lol.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:27 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Thanks for your input, everyone!

It turns out the Husband misspoke--the date is a plain date stamp with neither "Use by" nor "Sell by" in front of it. Just the month & year: Dec 2012.

I have put the question to Branston's Facebook page. But won't they most likely tell me to follow the date stamp & toss it out? What's the use of a company stamping their products if they turn round & tell customers it's OK to ignore said dates?

Anyway, hubby has used this page to bolster his argument:
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...7110646AAWg38T

It's supposedly about how long to keep opened BP in the fridge, but some responses say they never keep opened ones in the fridge & eat them long after the date stamp, so he thinks he's justified in saying it's safe to eat lol.
LOL -- I hope he's not going by the dates on that page as it seems to indicate the posts were made a decade ago!
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:32 am
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'd be sorely tempted.

Give it the sniff test first.
Ha, you've made my husband happy, BEVS!

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If it was something pickled in vinegar, perhaps, but I would not eat Branson more than two years after its sell by date (and only if unopened and stored at an even cool temperature). You don't really know the history of these jars.
Hmmm, vinegar is the third ingredient, after chopped vegetables and sugar....

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Yes! Both have the properly depressed (sealed) central circles on their tops. (Not that even the H is wanting to try the 2002 one thank goodness.)

Lol at your jar of jam, Twinkle. I too have eaten--with no ill effects--fairly out-of-date condiments....

But you can get Branston in any supermarket in CT (at least in my area) for around $5. Is it really worth the risk, however small, to eat something that could be tainted?
It's not that easy to find in my area, actually, but the small jars are intermittently available. This is a huge jar, 620 gms. Hard to resist, says my frugal husband....
Old Aug 11th 2017, 12:35 am
Under blue skies

LOL -- I hope he's not going by the dates on that page as it seems to indicate the posts were made a decade ago!
Yes, he is! He doesn't care how old the thread is, says the principle is sound.

Now he's almost talked another relative into sharing a few cheese & pickle sarnies... IF it passes the sniff test!
Old Aug 11th 2017, 1:06 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Yes, he is! He doesn't care how old the thread is, says the principle is sound.

Now he's almost talked another relative into sharing a few cheese & pickle sarnies... IF it passes the sniff test!
Ah well... ensure the will is up to date, get 911 on speed dial, and over the top!
Old Aug 11th 2017, 1:11 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hilariously this used to be part of my job, keeping the products for a few years and then tasting or testing them as required. You store a few jars of every production batch for a few years after their sell by date. Mostly it's to ensure product safety. Say someone eats a jar and it's in date and says it tastes funny, you want to be able to taste test and microbiological test that particular batch. Same goes for the out of date ones. Just because someone ate it after the date doesn't mean you don't have to test it. It will probably be fine. It wasn't usually for microbiological reasons that the use by date was that. Just the flavor or texture may deteriorate. Saying that though, you can get it everywhere round here now so I wouldn't eat it.

As a side line these are genuinely some of the customer complaints we received;
Your product made my husband divorce me after preparation. (Gave voucher. Said sorry she didn't like product)
I became violently ill after eating a jar of your product on chips (it was an extremely strong marinade. Directions were a jar would make 10 portions and it was supposed to be cooked)
Your product contains mold bits (that would be herbs. It has in chopped herbs)

Last edited by Weeze; Aug 11th 2017 at 1:13 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 11th 2017, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a nice chunk of 'Stinking Bishop'.

Definitely give it the 'sniff' test first and then the 'tentative finger dip' test before slathering on a good chunk of bread and cheese.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 2:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

First rule of grade 7 Home Economics: If in doubt, throw it out.

(However I personally would eat it)
Old Aug 11th 2017, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I have eaten Branston way past its date and still here to tell the tale. I used to eat Army rations that had no date on and I survived. Some of those were 10 years old probably. It it is just month and year, it is a best by date. I just finished a bag of jerky that was 3 years past its date and it tasted fine. I would have been more concerned about that.

Smell, taste a little, if it tastes fine it is probably safe, especially if its unopened.

Sell by dates are just for middle class white people.

From CNN

"Use by" and "Best by": These dates are intended for consumer use, but are typically the date the manufacturer deems the product reaches peak freshness. It's not a date to indicate spoilage, nor does it necessarily signal that the food is no longer safe to eat.

"Sell by": This date is only intended to help manufacturers and retailers, not consumers. It's a stocking and marketing tool provided by food makers to ensure proper turnover of the products in the store so they still have a long shelf life after consumers buy them. Consumers, however, are misinterpreting it as a date to guide their buying decisions. The report authors say that "sell by" dates should be made invisible to the consumer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.