Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Obscure British/American spelling differences.

Obscure British/American spelling differences.

Old Jul 24th 2016, 7:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obscure British/American spelling differences.

Originally Posted by robin1234
That's right, it's one of the (minor) pleasures of reading older novels to spot the gradually changing vocabulary, syntax, punctuation etc... but in this regard, it's hard to spot the words that are NOT used by earlier authors, because they were not yet coined (or not yet acquired a meaning.)

I have a prejudice against reading novels in translation, because unfortunately you'll never actually read the author's words.
Also, meanings in translation are influenced by what the translator thinks the author meant, just try reading two translations of the same book by different translators, and you will see what I mean, and, if you know the original language, then you get a third version.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Also, meanings in translation are influenced by what the translator thinks the author meant, just try reading two translations of the same book by different translators, and you will see what I mean, and, if you know the original language, then you get a third version.
Actually, I've done that a couple of times to try to get past the translator problem. I recently read a couple of novels by Goethe, which I primarily read in one translation, but referred to a second and third translation just to get a sense of how close the translation was to the original. Fortunately, my library (the college where I used to work,) has a very impressive German literature collection built up over the years, so they typically have several German editions and most of the important translations, of all important German language literature... I'm also working my way through the Thomas Bernhardt works which is heavy going ....
Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Actually, I've done that a couple of times to try to get past the translator problem. I recently read a couple of novels by Goethe, which I primarily read in one translation, but referred to a second and third translation just to get a sense of how close the translation was to the original. Fortunately, my library (the college where I used to work,) has a very impressive German literature collection built up over the years, so they typically have several German editions and most of the important translations, of all important German language literature... I'm also working my way through the Thomas Bernhardt works which is heavy going ....
Yes, one of the tasks set during a Russian language summer school I went on was to translate a passage from one of the Russian classics, and then we all read out our results. !5 in the class, with 15 slightly different translations, and between us we may well have got the correct translation.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Usages do indeed evolve all the time.
I am constantly outraged by the (ignorant) evolution of the meaning of "outrage." The -age is a suffix, it is not a compound of the word "rage." At least "outrageous" still means "outside the bounds of normal behavior" rather than "inducing rage."
Old Jul 25th 2016, 7:39 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HDWill
I am constantly outraged by the (ignorant) evolution of the meaning of "outrage." The -age is a suffix, it is not a compound of the word "rage." At least "outrageous" still means "outside the bounds of normal behavior" rather than "inducing rage."
This sounds interesting, and is all new to me. It sounds like I'm at fault, am ignorant, and should induce outrage!

Didn't know outrage had evolved ... When? From what?

It does illustrate something I alluded to in an earlier post. When we read older text (I gave Jane Austen as an example) we notice archaic words, words that had a different meaning, etc., but we obviously DON'T notice words that are absent because they hadn't yet been coined ....
Old Jul 25th 2016, 8:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What is an ignorant evolution? I'm outraged by such an outrageous notion.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yup. I like ...

F--- ya'll. F--- all ya'll.
Is that with a K or CK ?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Hmm .. I'm still perplexed by this. I just looked it up in the OED. It seems to be an ancient word, borrowed from a French word, first instance of use back in the fourteenth century. Ten meanings of the noun are detailed. Which meaning or recent evolution of meaning are you taking issue with?
Old Jul 25th 2016, 9:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What is an ignorant evolution? I'm outraged by such an outrageous notion.

Perhaps it's learned ignorance . . .
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:42 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

"Burglarize" For some reason when I hear that I imagine a burglar sodomizing a house.

Anyway I remember now that back around 1991 I was installing Compuserve on a computer and it came up with something that said: "install" and I remember thinking, they've got that wrong. So I went to the Winn-Dixie nearby and bought a dictionary and it does say: "install or instal" in it.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:23 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Steve_
"Burglarize" For some reason when I hear that I imagine a burglar sodomizing a house.

Anyway I remember now that back around 1991 I was installing Compuserve on a computer and it came up with something that said: "install" and I remember thinking, they've got that wrong. So I went to the Winn-Dixie nearby and bought a dictionary and it does say: "install or instal" in it.
Hmm ... If the dictionary was from Publix, OK, but Winn-Dixie ...