Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

No pharmacy in US airports?

No pharmacy in US airports?

Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No pharmacy in US airports?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Sorry, to clarify, we originated in Houston, transited Heathrow.

ETA..in post 35 you alluded to some way of getting around the problem I had...just wondered if you could expand on that, as I'm not sure what I could have done differently....although I'm not likely to be buying duty free again in the foreseeable future...
Sorry, only just noticed this question addressed to me.

I was thinking of transit in the US - you go through the immigration and customs at the POE, including picking up your bags and then rec-checking them. In airports where there is no true international transit (most of them, I imagine), you would then have to put your previously-bought Duty Free into your checked luggage before handing it back in to be sent to your next flight (with of course the worry that you might arrive at your final destination with clothes soaked in Scotch!) Otherwise you would be taking your DF into the airport and when clearing security again, would have it taken from you (have seen that a few times and people aren't well pleased!)

it's a while since I transited in the UK from the US (I tend to do all my connecting in the US, in order to fly back direct to Glasgow). However, I vaguely recollect transiting from Europe on a couple of occasions. IIRC, I went through passport control in the transit airport, then sat at the "regular" gate for my onward flight to Glasgow. (I never buy Duty Free so didn't have any with me)

On arrival at Glasgow, there is a sign saying "If you transited from overseas, take your luggage to the customs window)." So, essentially no customs control (who in their right mind would bother when you can just walk straight out?)

When I came back from the US in 2000, it was similar and when I went to the customs window their attitude clearly indicated they were pissed off that I had interrupted their all-day tea break. They flicked a signature on the form I had with me and told me to bugger off and stop bothering them (essentially).
Old Jan 21st 2014, 12:27 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No pharmacy in US airports?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, only just noticed this question addressed to me.

I was thinking of transit in the US - you go through the immigration and customs at the POE, including picking up your bags and then rec-checking them. In airports where there is no true international transit (most of them, I imagine), you would then have to put your previously-bought Duty Free into your checked luggage before handing it back in to be sent to your next flight (with of course the worry that you might arrive at your final destination with clothes soaked in Scotch!) Otherwise you would be taking your DF into the airport and when clearing security again, would have it taken from you (have seen that a few times and people aren't well pleased!)

it's a while since I transited in the UK from the US (I tend to do all my connecting in the US, in order to fly back direct to Glasgow). However, I vaguely recollect transiting from Europe on a couple of occasions. IIRC, I went through passport control in the transit airport, then sat at the "regular" gate for my onward flight to Glasgow. (I never buy Duty Free so didn't have any with me)

On arrival at Glasgow, there is a sign saying "If you transited from overseas, take your luggage to the customs window)." So, essentially no customs control (who in their right mind would bother when you can just walk straight out?)

When I came back from the US in 2000, it was similar and when I went to the customs window their attitude clearly indicated they were pissed off that I had interrupted their all-day tea break. They flicked a signature on the form I had with me and told me to bugger off and stop bothering them (essentially).
Yes, it wouldn't have worked for me transiting London with bags checked through to Newcastle.....and unfortunately we are always an "other end" transit as there are no direct US-Newcastle or Teesside flights. Unless those chaps from Southwest happen to drop one down there, having missed London.....

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Jan 21st 2014 at 12:32 pm.