Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New York - two days = off the wall must sees...

New York - two days = off the wall must sees...

Old Aug 12th 2017, 8:13 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New York - two days = off the wall must sees...

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Daughter will be in NYC for a couple of days at the end of November. She's been before and done Ellis Island, Liberty, Central Park etc. She'll be at the end of a month long Kontiki trip around the Southern States so could well be 'America'd out' but do you, as a hugely helpful and informative group, have any suggestions of worthwhile but possibly off the wall things to see and do that don't necessarily appear in 'What to do in New York' handbooks? She's 22 and not interested in the big NYC museums, not that they're off the wall obviously. She's happy to mooch but would like a few things she could decide last minute to wander to.

Thanks.
Harlem? Not many tourists go there and it's quite real.

Last edited by Beaverstate; Aug 12th 2017 at 8:16 am.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Updatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this pointUpdatedusername is an unknown quantity at this point

There's always the option of the Rockettes, but that isn't very adventurous. Off the beaten track you could head to the flea market in Brooklyn, or take the East River ferry to LIC and explore the shiny glass and concrete. Depending on your daughter's age, a trip to the Singlecut brewery in Astoria might be an option. Actually Astoria is a good place for food and drink in general.
The Botanical Gardens in the Bronx and Brooklyn often have a Christmassy or Hanukkah feel/theme. Would skip the one in Queens as it is very small. Just bring an extra layer or buy one from Century 21 as it can be a little chilly.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 1:50 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be cold and potentially snowing. Make sure she has a winter coat. If she's willing to walk around in the cold, I'd spend a day in Central Park. While there, I'd hit the Met, the Museum of Natural History / Guggenheim. The Met is one of the world's great museums, don't miss it.

I'm largely a downtown guy. If there was time left on the first day, I'd take a train down to Washington Square, grab a slice, shoot some pool and get a drink. The next day, I'd hit the High Line and Chelsea Market, take a train down to Battery City and take the Staten Island Ferry. Then I'd wander around the East Village, Chinatown and Little Italy. Get some dim sum and check out shoes on 8th Street.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 2:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's going to be cold and potentially snowing. Make sure she has a winter coat. If she's willing to walk around in the cold, I'd spend a day in Central Park. While there, I'd hit the Met, the Museum of Natural History / Guggenheim. The Met is one of the world's great museums, don't miss it.

I'm largely a downtown guy. If there was time left on the first day, I'd take a train down to Washington Square, grab a slice, shoot some pool and get a drink. The next day, I'd hit the High Line and Chelsea Market, take a train down to Battery City and take the Staten Island Ferry. Then I'd wander around the East Village, Chinatown and Little Italy. Get some dim sum and check out shoes on 8th Street.
I forgot to say thanks to everyone, she's got a bit of a list going.

Erm Hiro, snow? Winter coat? She has a hoodie for our winter!!!! So first job on the itinerary may be shopping which she will not be happy about. Oh well shit happens, it'll give her something to moan about.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 6:45 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Erm Hiro, snow? Winter coat? She has a hoodie for our winter!!!! So first job on the itinerary may be shopping which she will not be happy about. Oh well shit happens, it'll give her something to moan about.
Yeah, end of November, NYC... not going to be warm.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to be cold and potentially snowing. Make sure she has a winter coat. ....
Utter nonsense! November in NYC is warmer than December, January, February, and March, and the average overnight lows in November are only 41°F (5°C), so it is unlikely to be freezing even at 6am in the morning. The average high for November is 54°F (12°C), so cool, but not exactly "cold". And the likelihood is that a tourist will be visiting many indoor places - museums, galleries, restaurants, and travelling by subway, bus or cab - it's not like they're going to be spending hours trekking across the arctic tundra!

A sweater and a light coat should be plenty, especially if you also take a hat, gloves and scarf, which will keep you warm if temperatures happen to be below average, without taking up a huge amount of space in your luggage.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 19th 2017 at 4:11 am.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 4:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Utter nonsense! November in NYC is warmer than December, January, February, and March, and the average overnight lows in November are only 41°F (5°C), so it is unlikely to be freezing even at 6am in the morning. The average high for November is 54°F (12°C), so cool, but not exactly "cold". And the likelihood is that a tourist will be visiting many indoor places - museums, galleries, restaurants, and travelling by subway, bus or cab - it's not like they're going to be spending hours trekking across the arctic tundra!

A sweater and a light coat should be plenty, especially if you also take a hat, gloves and scarf, which will keep you warm if temperatures happen to be below average, without taking up a huge amount of space in your luggage.
With respect what you consider cool, we consider ****ing freezing. Our woodburner gets fired up when temps drop to 17 degrees c. 12 is get in bed and make sure the heavy winter duvet is on the bed weather.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 5:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

With respect what you consider cool, we consider ****ing freezing. Our woodburner gets fired up when temps drop to 17 degrees c. 12 is get in bed and make sure the heavy winter duvet is on the bed weather.
OK, but your daughter should he relieved that she is visiting "my" NYC in November, not Hiro's.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 5:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Mooching
Another word the Americans use differently, 11 years in and I am still learning American
Old Aug 19th 2017, 10:31 pm
I approved this message

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Yeah what do I know, I only lived there for five years. Averages do no good, late November is significantly colder than early November. Thanksgiving in NYC can be downright chilly. If you'll look at my suggestions, they mostly involve being outside. If you'll look at the original post, the OP's daughter is coming from warmer climes. I was trying to caveat my suggestions as she would likely not have warmer clothes. Sheesh.
Old Aug 19th 2017, 11:55 pm

Yeah what do I know, I only lived there for five years. ....
I lived in New York too, and have been back on business from time to time. When I was there New Years eave was down very close to 0°F - that was cold, November, not so much.

The National Weather Service records only show snow in NYC in November six times since 1979, and two of those years were 0.1" and 0.2". So it snows in November about one year in every ten. I would suggest that if you pick two days in November the chances of you seeing snow on those two days in New York City would be less than 1 in 100.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 20th 2017 at 12:05 am.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this helps
Intellicast - Local Weather Forecast, Reports and Maps
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Children please, I think we've confirmed the daughter is going to complain about the lack of heat. Once it's under 18 degrees C, it matters not
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:28 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Children please, I think we've confirmed the daughter is going to complain about the lack of heat. Once it's under 18 degrees C, it matters not
I'll top them both for you with 13 years in the city and another 31 years within a 65 mile radius of midtown. The only thing you can be sure of is that the weather will fool you. I've driven the car with the top down clad in a t-shirt in December and shivered in the house with the power out after an ice or snow storm in October. Nothing is set in stone.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'll top them both for you with 13 years in the city and another 31 years within a 65 mile radius of midtown. The only thing you can be sure of is that the weather will fool you. I've driven the car with the top down clad in a t-shirt in December and shivered in the house with the power out after an ice or snow storm in October. Nothing is set in stone.
The coldest I've ever been was in NYC in late October one year. A year later I was walking around wearing a thin sweater in early November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.