New Top Gear Hosts?

Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Top Gear Hosts?

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The appeal of UK Top Gear was partly content (and what was allowed due to the budget) but mostly due to the chemistry between the three presenters. Sure, anyone can stand there and talk about cars, they had a million people do that on Top Gear UK between 1977 and 2001, but for what made the second incarnation of the show enjoyable for me and most people I know who like it, was Clarkson, May and Hammond. The fact that it was about cars became incidental for me, I'd watch the three of them present a show about stamp collecting, if they made it funny enough. .....
This. Which is what most of the posters on this thread agread agreed on several dozen pages ago.

Steve doesn't agree, but then he (i) doesn't appear especially interested in the Wilman-Clarkson Top Gear, and (ii) isn't, as far as we can tell, a commissioning manager for Netflix.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:13 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This. Which is what most of the posters on this thread agread agreed on several dozen pages ago.

Steve doesn't agree, but then he (i) doesn't appear especially interested in the Wilman-Clarkson Top Gear, and (ii) isn't, as far as we can tell, a commissioning manager for Netflix.
Forgot about Andy Willman - he's just as instrumental in the appeal of the previous UK format as the three in front of the cameras are

What has a theoretical BBC continuation got apart from maybe the Stig? Unless they can bring James Hunt. Ayrton Senna and Joey Dunlop back from the dead to present it, not a whole lot ...
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm just not convinced that Top Gear is dependent on those three presenters.
You're right, it doesn't. But the format will have to change. If the BBC sticks to the same format with 3 different presenters, then it will die on its arse because then TG does depend on those 3 presenters.

Like I said, Top Gear USA sucks because of the budget, not the presenters.
That I have to disagree with. The 3 yank presenters have absolutely no chemistry together at all.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think my opinion is particularly esoteric, I've heard a lot people over the last two or three years say they're getting a bit tired of the made-up antics on Top Gear.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:15 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
You're right, it doesn't. But the format will have to change. If the BBC sticks to the same format with 3 different presenters, then it will die on its arse because then TG does depend on those 3 presenters.

That I have to disagree with. The 3 yank presenters have absolutely no chemistry together at all.
Total agreement here.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:28 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think my opinion is particularly esoteric, I've heard a lot people over the last two or three years say they're getting a bit tired of the made-up antics on Top Gear.
Yep. I also know a lot of people who felt the joke (such as it was) was overly contrived and wearing a bit thin.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You might not, but honestly, the opinions of those who don't like a show, product, or service count for nought so long as there are plenty of customers for it. I could tell you that Coronation St is a steaming pile of donkey turds, and indeed I wouldn't watch it if you paid me, (and ditto East Enders), but so long as millions continue to watch it my opinion is utterly irrelevant.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Define "a lot".

Some of the biggest audiences in the UK when I was there were on a Saturday night for the cr@p hosted by the likes of Cilla or some little known 'comic' and went under the guise of 'game show', variety show or some other concocted junk. However, I don't go looking for a thread about them and cr@p all over it, do I?

Rather than using ubiquitous phrases like 'a lot', I prefer facts. Like the fact that it's be BBC's best selling product by a long way and brings in something like 52 million pounds a year - enough to make MORE Saturday night popcorn. ...and the fact that it's the most popular factual series in the world (verified by Guinness - the book, not the drink ).

If you don't like the show, that's fine. Move on, but you're not going to change the opinion of the millions who DO enjoy the chemistry of Clarkson, May and Hammond and think that TG in its current form cannot exist without them.

As a side note, TG:US is NOT bad because of the budget. It's bad because the presenters can't make it look real and the whole show is obviously faked, unlike the British version where the presenters are able to at least make it look spontaneous.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 12:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Define "a lot".
Every single person I know irl who watches it.

"They've run out of ideas."

"This public schoolboy nonsense is getting boring."

As a side note, TG:US is NOT bad because of the budget. It's bad because the presenters can't make it look real and the whole show is obviously faked, unlike the British version where the presenters are able to at least make it look spontaneous.
I don't think the British version looks any more spontaneous. Or less faked. Pretty much the same deal.

The problem with the American version is that a lot of the episodes are just dross, three men get three old bangers and do stupid things with them for an hour. Some of the episodes are good though, like the one in Iceland and the one in Alaska was passable. And the one in Utah was okay too and the race against the jet powered speed boat was pretty good.

In focus groups Americans apparently didn't get the British version because originally they were going to do an American version with the British presenters, so I think it's more a case of cultural differences.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Every single person I know irl who watches it.

"They've run out of ideas."

"This public schoolboy nonsense is getting boring."
Isn't anecdotal evidence brilliant? Every single person I know who watches it still enjoys it, so where does that leave us?

Speaking objectively - worldwide viewing figures would seem to disagree with your assertion.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Isn't anecdotal evidence brilliant? Every single person I know who watches it still enjoys it, so where does that leave us?

Speaking objectively - worldwide viewing figures would seem to disagree with your assertion.
Where does that leave us? People worldwide are wrong. ..... And a straw poll of BE users named "Steve" and their associates, confirms that they are indeed, totally wrong.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I have decided that the troll is fat enough and does not require any further feeding!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He does have a point though. It has been shit and the same old for the last few seasons.

Still watch it mind, but only because there aren't that many car shows around that aren't dull.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:36 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

A show's success is determined by the number of people who watch it, not by the passions of those who do not. They can't please everyone, nor should they try to.

Any network in the world would kill for a program with 350 million viewers.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
A show's success is determined by the number of people who watch it, not by the passions of those who do not.
As evidenced by Pulaski's mention of Coronation Street and Eastenders; and Guindalf's reference to game shows and useless celeb dross. All steaming piles of poo, but highly successful shows and formats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.