Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Nettie's Road Trip, May 2010

Nettie's Road Trip, May 2010

Old May 18th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nettie's Road Trip, May 2010

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Like JG says, it's a bull moose. There was a cow and calf around as well, so I was not happy about getting too close. I have a piccy of the cow, but she always kept herself between the calf and us.

Also, a grizzly was moving into the area (Lake Josephine at Many Glacier, on the east side of the park), so we were asked to leave by a ranger pretty soon after I got these photographs.
I can see him now, thanks!
Old May 18th 2010, 2:51 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Those of you who couldn't see the next batch, try these (I had a superfluous "/" in the linkies):

Old May 18th 2010, 4:36 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent photos..... keep 'em coming.....
Old May 18th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, beautiful, I'd be so excited (and scurrrrrred) being that close to those animals!!
Old May 18th 2010, 3:30 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing so fancy today (on the wildlife front, at least) since most of yesterday was spent on the road.

On Sunday evening we drove from West Glacier to Missoula, then yesterday was 9am-7pm to get down to Idaho Falls. We stopped for around three hours at the Craters of the Moon National Monument on the way.

The drive down is VERY attractive, IF you avoid the freeway. US 93 runs from Missoula all the way down to Arco, ID, and from about 15 miles north of Salmon it is relentlessly scenic. South of Salmon the drive is very twisty, and I had to be careful not to end up in the scenery through staring at the scenery.

I didn't take photographs of that drive, since it would have doubled the travel time with all the stops, but here are some other photographs.

This is the pass at the southern end of the Big Lost River valley, to the north of Arco, ID. It's around 7000' high, and it was really blowing a hoolie here: I guess the wind was about 35mp5, gusting to 50mph. This is looking south to the plain.

I am a fan of the history of nucular and atomic science, so Arco fascinates me. There will be a few nucular-related photos here, in case anyone else in interested.

On that note, the next photograph is the famous "Atoms for Peace" sign in Arco. Read the sign for the details. Also, if you have the time, read "Proving the Principle," by Susan Stacy for a first-class history of nuclear science and technology in SE Idaho. There is a chapter on the significance of this sign in that book.

Next up, Craters of the Moon (see link above), which is just uncanny. A huge lava field (over 1000 sq miles). It's not really possible to describe it: you need to go there to experience it.

Photograph one is of some rope-like lave formations, called Pāhoehoe by Hawaiians.

This is a so-called spatter cone, but I like to call it Mount Doom, for obvious reasons:

Last up, for the nerdulous like me, this is one of the reasons this Arco area is so fascinating:

We're just off to do some more nucular tourism, with a two hour private tour of EBR-1.
Old May 18th 2010, 3:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thank you for re-posting! Those are awesome photos!

Rene
Old May 18th 2010, 3:52 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

We're just off to do some more nucular tourism, with a two hour private tour of EBR-1.
You lucky devil!
Old May 18th 2010, 5:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is the pass at the southern end of the Big Lost River valley, to the north of Arco, ID. It's around 7000' high, and it was really blowing a hoolie here: I guess the wind was about 35mp5, gusting to 50mph. This is looking south to the plain.
I'm glad you're getting to do all the nerdalicious stuff you like, but these pics of the plains & mountains never cease to amaze me.. can you imagine crossing that for months with a covered wagon?

My friend Lloyd, who died last year, had a drill press in the garage that his grandparents brought over on the Oregon Trail. It's all so close!
Old May 18th 2010, 6:19 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm glad you're getting to do all the nerdalicious stuff you like, but these pics of the plains & mountains never cease to amaze me.. can you imagine crossing that for months with a covered wagon?

My friend Lloyd, who died last year, had a drill press in the garage that his grandparents brought over on the Oregon Trail. It's all so close!
I'm with you on this -it is totally FASCINATING to me that this was all discovered with nothing - today we get lost in the wood without an GPS - well I do anyway I feel like technology has strangled us!! we are SO reliant on it, imagine how many of our population now could travel across the rockies in a horse and wagon with no roads - paving the way I know I couldn't!!

Anyway as for the roadtrip - these photos are GREAT!!! We are off to the Oregon coast this weekend.... wonder if I will see a Moose - will deffo post a pic if I do
Old May 18th 2010, 6:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
We are off to the Oregon coast this weekend.... wonder if I will see a Moose - will deffo post a pic if I do
No no, I'm not going over this w/e.

Have a SUPER great time and yes, we want pics from you, moose or no!

Find a puffin for us. That would be nice! North side of Haystack Rock in CB.. they will have volunteers with binos to show you where to look.. puffins are becoming rare & this is their looooove time so check it out.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:13 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

No no, I'm not going over this w/e.

Have a SUPER great time and yes, we want pics from you, moose or no!

Find a puffin for us. That would be nice! North side of Haystack Rock in CB.. they will have volunteers with binos to show you where to look.. puffins are becoming rare & this is their looooove time so check it out.
ha ha for the moose comment!!!.....

Will deffo look for the puffins, the only other time I have seen them is in North Wales up on Anglesey, they all hang out up on the end of the island!! very cool!!

Will post some pics when we are back - boohoo the rain is forecast!
Old May 18th 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Burn1911
ha ha for the moose comment!!!.....

Will deffo look for the puffins, the only other time I have seen them is in North Wales up on Anglesey, they all hang out up on the end of the island!! very cool!!

Will post some pics when we are back - boohoo the rain is forecast!
Sunday might be nice.
Maybe.
Old May 18th 2010, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

HannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really niceHannahGreen is just really nice

We visited Fort Laramie a few years ago and i was blown away by seeing the ruts from the wagons on the Oregon Trail. I think there are several places in WY that they still exist...

Great pics too!
Old May 19th 2010, 2:15 am
Shocked of Redmond

Next lot:

Today we drove out to EBR-1, as mentioned earlier. On the way we stopped at the erstwhile Idaho SR-20 and Fillmore junction:

This doesn't look much, but it's pretty much all that you can see that is a reminder of the SL-1 nuclear accident on 3 Jan 1961. This incident is dealt with in one chapter of Proving the Principle, mentioned earlier. That is a very factual account, and leaves out some of the human interest, which is covered in the following two books: Atomic America, by Todd Tucker, and Idaho Falls, by Bill McKeown.

Both are very interesting. Gory detail: one of the operators at the time of the accident, Dick Legg, was not located for a couple of hours because his body was pinned to the ceiling by a reactor cap plug. It took almost a week to remove his body, since it was so radioactive it was dangerous to be close to it for more than about a minute.

Next up was Atomic City. This was once a thriving town.

You can't read it at this resolution, but the sign says "Population: About 25". the town is dying on its arse...

This is the outside of EBR-1.

I took about 250 photographs here, but will only inflict a few of them on you.

Next up are "the Heaters", HTRE-1, and HTRE-3. These were experimental reactors that were built and operated by USAF in the hopes of producing a nuclear-powered aircraft.

The program is well described in Dreams of Nuclear Flight by Jesse Stoffel.

This is looking down into the reactor vessel:

This is self-explanatory:

After this, we drove through Idaho Falls to Teton Village, which is where we are staying.

This is a view from Teton Pass, looking East, into Jackson Hole, WY. It is 8431' ASL.

We were a little surprised to find that the pass is not the state line: that is actually some miles to the West.

Finally, for those of you who prefer furry things, a couple of the critters we saw in our brief initial foray into Teton NP:

Y'all have fun, and check back later for more news...

Last edited by nettlebed; May 19th 2010 at 2:33 am.
Old May 19th 2010, 2:19 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

just stumbled on this thread...loving it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.