Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Need ideas for UK MEALS

Need ideas for UK MEALS

Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Need ideas for UK MEALS

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Spring onions are sometimes referred to as 'shallots"
Spring onions and shallots are two different things, aren't they? I thought spring onions were the long, thin, green onions, and shallots were tiny versions of normal onions?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
I just got a Shepherds Pie Recipe off the Internet on a Google search. I am going to surprise him tonight. I am not working this week as I am recovering from Pneumonia and I might as well cook and see him SMILE!
Keep those ideas coming! Does anyone know how to make the batter for fish like they sell in those chip stands over there?
I tried buying a Tempura Batter and it was awful.

This is not a chip shop batter but my mother used a flour and water batter. you can also do potato fritters in it. Slice potatoes length ways dip in batter and deep fry.
I prefer to use fish dressing (crumbs)
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:44 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
fried brekkie - bacon, beans, chips, tomatoes etc
Chips are deep fried potato slices. Similar to french fries but about 3-4 times as thick.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:47 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Spring onions and shallots are two different things, aren't they? I thought spring onions were the long, thin, green onions, and shallots were tiny versions of normal onions?
You are probably right but remember she is in US: They call eggplant aubergine and rock melon cantalouope and tomato sauce ketchup

And I think they call spring onions shallots tho could be wrong
Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:19 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
fried brekkie - bacon, beans, chips, tomatoes etc
Chips with a fry ???
Kindly present yourself at the nearest suitable location for a face shooting at your earliest convenience.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:16 pm
Banned

Awesome ideas everyone. Thanks so much. I am going to make all of these in the next few weeks. When he got home last night the Shepherds Pie was in the oven. You should have seen his face when I took it out. He was grinning from ear to ear. He took the rest to work with him today for lunch and to share with his friends there. He was sure happy. keep the ideas and recipes coming. Also any good web links. I just started a new folder in Favorites for these! THANKS SO MUCH!
You are very very welcome and do remember that 'mushy peas' are a reak UK favourite for many
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Some more:

Roast beef and YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS with all the trimmings.

A great British fried breakfast, yum, with BACK BACON, not the horrible stuff they eat here in Canada that's full of fat!

Stovies (Scottish dish, for all those out there who've never heard of it).

Good ole fish'n'chips!!

Oh I can feel my mouth watering at the thought ...
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

This is my favorite website for Recipes, you will find what ever you need there
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Need ideas for UK MEALS

There are loads of British recipe ideas here, from starters and snacks to main dishes to puddings, teacakes/crumpets and desserts, including traditional regional dishes from all over England, Scotland and Wales.

There are plenty of meat and vegetarian dishes too:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk

Recipes:

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipe_index.htm
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Steak pie, or chicken pie is DEAD easy to make.

Use the Pillsbury ready made pie pastry and then fill with any of the fillings you find online at the sites and you've got a great dinner in no time.

Serve with mash potatoes, peas/carrots and mushroom or brown gravy. (or salad instead of the mash/veggies).
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Awesome ideas everyone. Thanks so much. I am going to make all of these in the next few weeks. When he got home last night the Shepherds Pie was in the oven. You should have seen his face when I took it out. He was grinning from ear to ear. He took the rest to work with him today for lunch and to share with his friends there. He was sure happy. keep the ideas and recipes coming. Also any good web links. I just started a new folder in Favorites for these! THANKS SO MUCH!
Question is: Did You like it?
Old Mar 17th 2006, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
They are different, in the US, spring onions are called green onions...
Old Mar 17th 2006, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably right but remember she is in US: They call eggplant aubergine and rock melon cantalouope and tomato sauce ketchup
eggplant/aubergine....people call 'em either all over the place, and cantalouope, called that in blighty too, never heard of rock melon...and tomato sauce is different to ketchup, it's more wet....
Old Mar 17th 2006, 4:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Chips are deep fried potato slices. Similar to french fries but about 3-4 times as thick.
yes, I know what chips are...
Old Mar 17th 2006, 4:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Chips with a fry ???
Kindly present yourself at the nearest suitable location for a face shooting at your earliest convenience.
You don't have chips with bangers? missing out...better having chips than nasty dried hash browns mate...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.