Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Need ideas for UK MEALS

Need ideas for UK MEALS

Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need ideas for UK MEALS

see I knew even the salads make me fat over here. What about Shepperds Pie.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:14 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
How about a recipe?
go to google and type "shepperds pie" + recipe

Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:14 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Traditional meals in the UK were things like:

Sausage and mash with onion gravy
Shepherds or cottage pie
Faggots and mash
Steak and kidney pie or pudding
Casseroles or stews made with beef, lamb or chicken
Fish pie

I have good recipes for all of these but take too long to write up - go to www.uktvfood.co.uk and I am sure you will find all of these dishes plus many more. You could also try Delia Smith online at www.deliaonline.com (she was the god of home cooking until Nigella Lawson came along) Good basic recipes and always come out well.

Friend of mine also runs a website from Oz called www.cookingdownunder.com and there are plenty of recipes and links to other sites on that one.

Happy cooking
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:16 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this is the right section. My husband is from Wales and he mentioned to a co-worker that he misses Traditional Dinners. Other than those cooked meals with Brussle Sprouts (YUK) and Savoy Cabbage (YUK) and Roasted Potatoes and Carrots and everything drowning in gravy, what else could he be missing? Eggs and Chips? Batter Fried Fish and Chips, or Beans? What am I missing here? I have been to Wales 3 times and didn't eat anything too impressive. (Sorry Guys) I am a Salad kind of Girl and lost 8 pounds while I was there! So if you guys could give me some ideas of dinners (and recipes) I could make for a surprise I would really appreciate it. He would be so happy to come home some night to something he is missing.
THANKS.
Definately Sausages and Mash or a lamb hotpot
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:31 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a Shepherds Pie Recipe off the Internet on a Google search. I am going to surprise him tonight. I am not working this week as I am recovering from Pneumonia and I might as well cook and see him SMILE!
Keep those ideas coming! Does anyone know how to make the batter for fish like they sell in those chip stands over there?
I tried buying a Tempura Batter and it was awful.

I not very good with batter i always buy the ready made stuff

Just thought about some nice homemade soups aswell....Lentil and pea and ham both delicious.

Hope you are taking care of yourself too
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Fish pie
Chicken pie
Cottage/sheppards pie
Roast lamb and trimmings
toad in the hole
bread and butter pud...ain't a meal, but oh well
cod and chips
scotch broth
ox tail soup
fried brekkie - bacon, beans, chips, tomatoes etc
cornish pastie
Curry
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:37 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Welsh Cakes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...es_67264.shtml

Yum, yum, yum!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:42 pm
turkeytickler

I just got a Shepherds Pie Recipe off the Internet on a Google search. I am going to surprise him tonight. I am not working this week as I am recovering from Pneumonia and I might as well cook and see him SMILE!
Keep those ideas coming! Does anyone know how to make the batter for fish like they sell in those chip stands over there?
I tried buying a Tempura Batter and it was awful.
try this.... http://www.fishermansexpress.com/beer-batter.html

Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:43 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Issie
Definately Sausages and Mash or a lamb hotpot

sausage and creamy mash is my ultimate comfort food.... with a nice onion gravy;

1 or 2 fried onions
1 teasp wholegrain mustard
1 tblsp plain flour

then add;
beef stock
worcester sauce

yum yum yum

Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Cornbeef hash is a dish some like. Or you could do something really basic and traditional like sausage, chips, eggs, pea's or other variations of meat in the chips, eggs and pea's theme. He's gonna love you for this...
Old Mar 17th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

1.Roast Leg of Lamb, roast potatoes, petit peas, yorkshire puddings and gravy.
2.A good British Curry. I don't remember the name of it, but look in your grocery ethnic section near the indian/thai foods section. There's a curry packet there that has a brick of curry that you mix with water that's as close as I ever saw in the states to the curry they use in the House Special Curry's at the Chinese Chip Shops over here. Make with peppers, beef strips or chicken and onions....serve over fresh chips and he will love it.
3. Roast chicken, runner beans, roast potatoes.
4. Roast leg of pork(if you can get it from a proper butcher try and get it with the skin still on it....score the skin.....it's tough so you will need a good knife...once you score the skin salt and pepper it before roasting...roast at a higher temp for the first 20 minutes then turn the oven down to a lower temp (I don't know the degrees in the States because I have gotten used to the Gas Mark system over here), roast potatoes, cauliflower, brussell sprouts.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:10 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Try this meatloaf recipe (it's bloody good)

750 grams (1 1/2 lb) quality mince (ground beef)
1/2-3/4 cup tomato juice (depends on individual taste)
1 Tblspn Worcester sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 chopped onion
fresh ground black pepper
(can also add some diced tomatoes if you like)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then shape into a loaf.

Put in a greased loaf pan and bake at 180C/350F for an hour
Turn down heat to a medium setting
Add 2 tblspns barbeque sauce to loaf (pour over)
Bake a further 10 mins at the lowered temp.

Serve with mashed potatoes(or rice with chili or corn and raisins) and peas or beans.If you want to use a gravy I'd use a pepper one but is delish without.

It's real stodgy comfort food but not fattening or unhealthy.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:14 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Try this meatloaf recipe (it's bloody good)

750 grams (1 1/2 lb) quality mince (ground beef)
1/2-3/4 cup tomato juice (depends on individual taste)
1 Tblspn Worcester sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 chopped onion
fresh ground black pepper
(can also add some diced tomatoes if you like)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then shape into a loaf.

Put in a greased loaf pan and bake at 180C/350F for an hour
Turn down heat to a medium setting
Add 2 tblspns barbeque sauce to loaf (pour over)
Bake a further 10 mins at the lowered temp.

Serve with mashed potatoes(or rice with chili or corn and raisins) and peas or beans.If you want to use a gravy I'd use a pepper one but is delish without.

It's real stodgy comfort food but not fattening or unhealthy.
Make sure if you add tomatoes that they are diced and have been blanched or for greater ease just use a couple of diced canned/tinned ones and tomato juice from the can/tin
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:28 am
Banned

Make sure if you add tomatoes that they are diced and have been blanched or for greater ease just use a couple of diced canned/tinned ones and tomato juice from the can/tin
To really show your love, serve the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mushy peas. Here is the recipe for mushy peas (they love them over any meat)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 handful fresh mint, leaves picked
1 pound (500 grams) frozen peas
2 large knobs butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, mint, and peas. Cover and leave for a few minutes to steam. Mash with a potato masher. You can do this with a food processor as well, just pulse it until smooth. Whether mashing or pulsing, when it's done add the butter and season very carefully, to taste.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 10:29 am
Banned

To really show your love, serve the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and mushy peas. Here is the recipe for mushy peas (they love them over any meat)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 handful fresh mint, leaves picked
1 pound (500 grams) frozen peas
2 large knobs butter
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and add the chopped onions, mint, and peas. Cover and leave for a few minutes to steam. Mash with a potato masher. You can do this with a food processor as well, just pulse it until smooth. Whether mashing or pulsing, when it's done add the butter and season very carefully, to taste.
Spring onions are sometimes referred to as 'shallots"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.