Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This is my last day on BE.

This is my last day on BE.

Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:37 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is my last day on BE.

Originally Posted by Michael
So you really believe that any of those cars and motorcycles that are racing anywhere in the world are stock.
Of course not.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I wasn't talking about reliability. I was talking about the sheer ride. As Pulaski says, Harley's cater to a different kind of rider to the Jap / European motorcycles. I guess when Harley's are used to race round a track, then the world might pay some interest, but until that time they're just collectors items for Americans.
You obviously know very little about the Motorcyle market.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely. Have you not realised this yet?
Yah I smell the smoke coming out of your arse.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many Japanese bikes are much closer to racing bikes than you might realise, notably the 125, 250, and 500 bikes in which have their own world series. The was a time when a British rider, back in the 80's was given a street-legal bike to race, complete with turn indicators, because no other bike was readily available. He didn't win, but given he wasn't a top-flight racer, he put up a decent show on it.
I don't know much about motorcycles but when I was a teenager, the 6 cylinder engines for the racing cars in northern Minnesota were turning 10,000 RPM while racing. There were short oval dirt tracks so they had to keep the gear low to keep the speed.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 1st 2014 at 2:03 am.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:03 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I know quite a bit, thanks. When you see Harley's being used for something other than carrying lazy people about, and instead being raced at 200+ mph around a track, let me know.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I know quite a bit, thanks. When you see Harley's being used for something other than carrying lazy people about, and instead being raced at 200+ mph around a track, let me know.
Speaking of...saw one being ridden about by a chap wearing boat shoes....it's very hard to be tough, when your dressed like a banker...and these days, they're about the only ones who can afford a new one...or middle aged dentists.

The bikes do look pretty cool though...but I'd rather a Norton than a Harley if we're going chrome.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who needs to race when you have these?
Attached Thumbnails This is my last day on BE.-438484.jpg   This is my last day on BE.-438485.jpg   This is my last day on BE.-438486.jpg   This is my last day on BE.-438489.jpg   This is my last day on BE.-438491.jpg  

Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I think you may have misunderstood HH's post - I smell a hint of sarcasm perfumed with a sprig of irony in there!!!

You seem to put your own twist and view of the world on everything. A racing bike is not a road bike just like a racing car is not a road car. It's an advertising gimmick and nothing more.
And as for this???? Please classify my ZZR1100 (that's a ZX11 Ninja in the US). It most certainly isn't a racing bike despite the fact that with the few tweaks I've done it'll do about 180mph (although the size of my testicles means I haven't exceeded 150 on it!).
Just knocking different types of bikes because they're not HD's is daft. Harley's are ideally suited to riding the long straight roads of the US, the chrome aftermarket accessories rust out really quickly in UK climes but otherwise they are no more or less reliable than many Japanese/European marques.
Motorcycling in Europe is a completely different ballgame to the US, more so in the UK. A large percentage of bikers of UK bikers use their machines to commute as well as for pleasure and whilst Harley's have their followers they are not the most practical of machines for UK roads - that said there are some nice 'sports' models in their range which are better suited to the narrow, twisting, lane splitting style riding in the UK.
In more recent years I don't think there has been a single manufacturer (of international repute) that has maintained/improved the build quality of their machines. It seems to me that the general public have been willing to forgo quality for price. The Chinese have turned out some really horrible, and dangerous, rubbish very cheaply which many new bikers have been tempted into buying. (Along with many other independent mechanics, I am always very wary before accepting Chinese bikes for repair work). So whilst the Chinese have been busy improving their build quality in the last two years the rest of the bike world seem to have adopted the policy that if people will buy cheap Chinese rubbish they'll buy poorer quality, cheaper models from them.

I don't think the situation is any different in the car world. Everyone wants cheaper, newer goods and it doesn't take a genius to realise that if goods are likely to last for a shorter length of time the manufacturers will see more repeat business. The same can be said for televisions, mobile phones, washing machines, toilet paper... no, wait a mo...
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Just knocking different types of bikes because they're not HD's is daft.
Not once have I knocked any bike. The only one on this thread that has knocked a bike is HH and he hates everything American.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 1st 2014 at 2:30 am.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Why oh why does riding around on a touring bike make you any more lazy than riding around in a car or truck.

You really are a silly know it all little boy aren't you
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:35 am
Banned

Why oh why does riding around on a touring bike make you any more lazy than riding around in a car or truck.
It doesn't. Americans are generally lazy whether they be in their truck, or their car or their crappy bike.

Does that help?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Not once have I knocked any bike. The only one on this thread that has knocked a bike is HH and he hates everything American.
Sorry Michael, I should have left a few lines between the previous sentence and the quote above which was the start of the general 'rant'.

I'm afraid my pics don't have any 'gravel rash' contenders aboard but you can have customised and speed. If this image works then you should be looking at my other toy, a CBR900RR Fireblade, all my own work! (Apologies all for the size of the image, I really must suss out how to attach thumbnails!!!)

Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

You really are a silly know it all little boy
.......who takes a puerile delight in stirring the pot:

Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I really must suss out how to attach thumbnails
Use the attachments just right of the white smiley face at the top of the edit box.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 1:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Who needs to race when you have these?
I bet they'd sell a lot more if you got a free one of those with each bike. Though, that does sound a bit rapey

I've nothing against Harleys, but I do think fast Japanese bikes are cooler. I was a fan of road racing back home though, so I have a bias. Triumphs and Nortons are, of course, cooler still.

I think everybody knows that Harleys are built for comfort and not speed though, that's really like comparing a Cadillac Fleetwood with a Dodge Viper. Utterly pointless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.