Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

"My daddy fought for the South"

"My daddy fought for the South"

Old Jul 10th 2017, 7:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "My daddy fought for the South"

In the era of Glasnost the Russians pulled down, removed or destroyed the vast majority of Lenin and Stalin statues, many of these were just dumped in parks for the public to deface, piss on and other such things. About 10 years later they realised just what they had done to their heritage, Stalin and Lenin were major players in their history, so many were repaired, put into sculpture parks etc so the public could see them and think about what had happened. A country's heritage can't be erased, so why not allow the people to see what did happen.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 8:35 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Not suggesting anything except that those who fought for the Confederacy were fighting for the perpetuation of slavery. They weren't fighting to protect their culture or ways of life which varied from those of the North. Presidents Buchanan and Lincoln had no issues with the ways of the south except for the system of slavery which they did have an issue with.

As for subjugation that's another subject for another discussion. Included could be the native Indian tribes of Canada, The Australian aborigines , the Zulus, the New Zealand Maoris and so on.
Nearly every soldier to a man who fought for the south did not own a single slave, not one. The Generals and other officers did, the rank and file did not.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Everyone seems to have missed the point as to why I posted this, her father literally was a Confederate soldier. He was born in 1841. That completely boggled my mind. I couldn't give a toss about Confederate monuments.
That's because you made no attempt to explain what the point of the post was. I was curious whether you were opposed to the removal of the monuments or were shocked that they were still on display. Obviously it was neither but rather some obscure trivia you discovered.

I know back in ye olde days it was quite common for a rich widow/widower to shack up with a youngster, because the youngster could look after them and the youngster wanted the money (no social security back then) but still, it's 2017. I didn't realize having a parent who fought in the Civil War was still an option.
Because math?
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Nearly every soldier to a man who fought for the south did not own a single slave, not one. The Generals and other officers did, the rank and file did not.
The rich always get the poor to fight their battles for them.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'll often open and read an article, but I'm much less inclined to watch a video.

I just watched this one, interesting. Her father was 82 when she was born. Does that ever happen now - a man of 81 or 82 conceives a child?
Charlie Chaplin? Steve Martin just father his first child while in his 70's
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Charlie Chaplin? Steve Martin just father his first child while in his 70's
Various Rolling Stones are still procreating.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a Grandfather who was in his 90's when he died and I was I think 12. He was a generation or so older than my Grandparents, well my Mother's parents.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
i had a Grandfather who was in his 90's when he died and I was I think 12. He was a generation or so older than my Grandparents, well my Mother's parents.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:11 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Does that ever happen now - a man of 81 or 82 conceives a child?
Oldest Guinness World Record "legal" father--92 years.

Oldest legal father | Guinness World Records

Wikipedia's "Oldest" father:
Indian former wrestler and farmer who has been claimed by various news media as the world's oldest father. He resided in southern India with his wife. He claimed to have had his first child with his wife at age 94.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramjit_Raghav
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

My brother-in-law's father was born in the 19th century. B-i-l is 45 or thereabouts and his father was 85 when he was conceived. He had passed on before b-i-l was born.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As a kid I meant my Mothers Parents when talking about my Grandparents, my Fathers Mother had died before I was born and my Fathers Father was super old and grouchy, did not see him that often.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm against the removal of the statutes and the confederate monuments. It was a tragic period in US history but to remove the reminders of that era is like saying it never happened.
No it isn't. What they are doing is removing the glorification of people who were fighting to continue slavery. Denying it happened would actually be worse. If you think the statues to remind people of the civil war are good then you'd be in agreement that we replace the "war heroes" with a freed slave statue, for all the people who only learn history from looking at statues.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Anian
No it isn't. What they are doing is removing the glorification of people who were fighting to continue slavery. Denying it happened would actually be worse. If you think the statues to remind people of the civil war are good then you'd be in agreement that we replace the "war heroes" with a freed slave statue, for all the people who only learn history from looking at statues.
I find it frightening how people take the Hollywood History version as factual. The real stuff is much more interesting.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 4:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Thank you for the attempt at reading my mind. Just so you know, it didn't work.

You can erect both and they already have. Yes, most people start to learn history from statutes and monuments. If they had 1/2 a brain it would peak their interest and make them investigate further.

Go one step further and remove all the statutes and monuments to the Union men and women who fought. Do you honesty believe they fought only because they believed in the elimination of slavery. That was a part of it but the main thrust of the war was because the south seceded from the Union over States' Rights. And yes, a major part of that right was the ability to continue to hold slaves but there were also other parts which included not having the federal government tell each state what they can and cannot do in any manner of governing within the boundaries of its state. The government at its inception left the states the ability to govern in any way that it chose. It was not until much later in history that that right was rescinded.

The people participating in the Civil War were not bad people. They were people who had a different culture and mindset from their counterparts in the north or south. Whether they wore gray or blue, they fought for the state they lived in and many for what they believed in.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 10th 2017 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2017, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

Thank you for the attempt at reading my mind. Just so you know, it didn't work.

You can erect both and they already have. Yes, most people start to learn history from statutes and monuments. If they had 1/2 a brain it would peak their interest and make them investigate further.

Go one step further and remove all the statutes and monuments to the Union men and women who fought. Do you honesty believe they fought only because they believed in the elimination of slavery. That was a part of it but the main thrust of the war was because the south seceded from the Union over States' Rights. And yes, a major part of that right was the ability to continue to hold slaves but there were also other parts which included not having the federal government tell each state what they can and cannot do in any manner of governing within the boundaries of its state. The government at its inception left the states the ability to govern in any way that it chose. It was not until much later in history that that right was rescinded.

The people participating in the Civil War were not bad people. They were people who had a different culture and mindset from their counterparts in the north or south. Whether they wore gray or blue, they fought for the state they lived in and many for what they believed in.
You could write books on this, oops people have.

To be fair there has been some good stuff on TV, Ken Burns comes to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.