Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to America despite hating it

Moving to America despite hating it

Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America despite hating it

Originally Posted by Owen778
You will find a few who love it here, a few who hate it and want to move back, and most who don't think it's better or worse, just different. If you don't approach it with an open mind, you will probably hate it.

I work for a US company with a small (now almost gone) UK office. Five years ago, I was already making frequent (every month or two) trips to Houston, and subtle enquiries were made asking if I'd be interested in moving here. I wasn't interested. Three years ago, my now wife joined the half of our team in our US office and things changed.

I've been here two years now. Some of my prejudices have been dispelled, most confirmed, at least to some degree. On balance, we would both move to the UK if we could, but we don't want to take my wife's kids away from their dad.

Houston is home for us. On the downside, summer is very hot, politics are very different to the UK, there is almost no public transport and traffic is heavy and often aggressive, healthcare is good but expensive and the scenery is dull or ugly. However, income is higher, living costs are lower, particularly housing, and the quality of life is good, especially for families. New York will come somewhere in between the two, and in many ways it will be very similar to London.

Do not worry about the lack of gun control. There is more gun crime the US than the rest of the developed world, but the chance of being shot at is still much, much lower than the chance of, say, getting into a car accident. While I find Nutmegger's comment that the Newtown massacre "could have happened anywhere in the world" ridiculous, it is not something that should have an impact on your decision to move to the US.

What I recommend is this: Talk to your wife. Promise that you will approach the move with an open mind. If you can, agree that you will give it at minimum of, say, two years, before asking to return to the UK, so you can get past the initial period of homesickness, and start to build a life there. Ask her to promise that if you are still unhappy after, say, three years, you will both move back to London.
Sixteen children killed in Dunblane massacre: From the archive, 14 Mar 1996 | From the Guardian | theguardian.com
Norway massacre: A timeline of the attacks that horrified a nation - Telegraph
Villager slashes 22 kids with knife at elementary school gates in China - World News
Beslan school attack (Russian history) -- Encyclopedia Britannica
Students killed in German school shooting | World news | theguardian.com
BBC News - France shooting: Toulouse Jewish school attack kills four
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting
A school shooting can happen anywhere in the world where there is a person who chooses to take a gun into a school setting.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Dunblane was terrible but almost 20 years ago, and a thankfully rare occurrence in the UK.

Seems to be a school/campus shooting here every other week.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Have you already forgotten Dunblane?
No. Or Hungerford. But while your statement that it could have happened anywhere is true, but the way your post was phrased implied that levels of gun crime are no different in the US to any other country.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:37 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

No. Or Hungerford. But while your statement that it could have happened anywhere is true, but the way your post was phrased implied that levels of gun crime are no different in the US to any other country.
You are seeing implications that simply aren't there. I merely commented that none of us can know what is around the corner, wherever we live.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

You are seeing implications that simply aren't there. I merely commented that none of us can know what is around the corner, wherever we live.
That's one approach to life, sure. Personally I try to mitigate risks, even if I can't remove them.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, if you hate America from your experiences visiting the place, I'm guessing you are gonna hate it even more if you move here. Personally, I love it here, and if the missus is coming over to a well paid job, then even better. Money seems to be pretty much everything here and it's definitely a country of the haves and have nots.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

That's one approach to life, sure. Personally I try to mitigate risks, even if I can't remove them.

No you can't -- but however much one plans, isn't it always the unexpected that turns things upside down!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Irrespective of the pros and cons of the US vs the UK, I would say that the experience of actually living in a different country from your own, especially one as different from the UK as the US (I'd argue they are by far the most different English-speaking countries from each other), is certainly worth trying. It gives a sense of perspective about life that you wouldn't get any other way.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:17 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Dunblane was terrible but almost 20 years ago, and a thankfully rare occurrence in the UK.
Derrick Bird, just 4 years ago.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
especially one as different from the UK as the US
Went to Starbuck's this morning then got stuck in bad traffic during the commute.
Tried one of those new salads from McDonalds for lunch. (Almost went for Subway's.)
On the way home I had to pick up some groceries in Aldi's. Looked at beds in Ikea, bought a new iPad in the Apple Store, (had to sidestep the people begging on the way), bought water and paper towels in Costco.

Went to the cinema that night, Guardians of the Galaxy...

Which country am I in?

Last edited by Hotscot; Aug 28th 2014 at 5:22 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Derrick Bird, just 4 years ago.
Yes, 4 years, thanks for supporting my point.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:45 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the OP. How does your wife feel about it?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

No you can't -- but however much one plans, isn't it always the unexpected that turns things upside down!
If the expected turns things upside down, then you really are doing something wrong!

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I have successfully reduced the chance of being subject to gun crime (and other risks) by choosing to live in a nice and well-off suburb of Houston, instead of living close to work. Have I removed that risk? No.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

He's not asking for the pros and cons of the USA though is he. He already has concerns and is asking if someone who feels that way will grow to love it. I can't actually call to mind a member on here in that position. Maybe 'Sultan of Swing'.

Guns, healthcare and culture were exactly the problems I had, you can keep fighting the feelings but it's hard. However, marriage means compromise and he may have to approach it in that spirit.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 28th 2014 at 6:08 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

(Where is Sultan these days anyway...?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.