Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mincemeat, Where Art Thou?

Mincemeat, Where Art Thou?

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

GeekyGal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mincemeat, Where Art Thou?

Does anyone know where you can buy mincemeat in stores? I realize that it's after Christmas, but I didn't even think about them this year until now, and the jar that I have in the cupboard is two years past the use-by date. I used to be able to find it at World Market, but the website doesn't list it as existing there. I also saw it on Amazon, but it's over $10 a jar. That just seems... high. If that's all there is, then I'll bite the bullet. Any ideas?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mincemeat, Where Art Thou?

far easier to make your own - just mix the ingredients and leave to marinade. Keeps forever if you make sure you top up with a spoonful or two of booze so it doesn’t dry out. this Christmas I used up the last of the mincemeat I made 5 years ago in the US, nice and fruity and not sickly sweet like some brands. Your out of date jar is probably fine too.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

I think I'll bite the bullet with this jar for now. The button lid is still down. How bad can it be?
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekyGal
Does anyone know where you can buy mincemeat in stores? I realize that it's after Christmas, but I didn't even think about them this year until now, and the jar that I have in the cupboard is two years past the use-by date. I used to be able to find it at World Market, but the website doesn't list it as existing there. I also saw it on Amazon, but it's over $10 a jar. That just seems... high. If that's all there is, then I'll bite the bullet. Any ideas?
I bought two jars from a Cost Plus store about a month ago. However, the first store I went to had sold out and said they only got stocks seasonally. Second store had plenty at that point.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 7:58 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I can buy at both my local supermarkets here in Houston: HEB and Kroger. The brand I see most often is None Such. Just made mincemeat empanadas with the rest of the jar or as we decided to call them Tex-Mex-Mincemeat-Pies.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

In Chicago, Marianos had Mincemeat in their Seasonal Aisle and was also to be found in Costplus around Thxgiving
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
far easier to make your own - just mix the ingredients and leave to marinade.
Got a good recipe? Tried this idea a few years ago but could not find the ingredients locally either, e.g. candied peel does not seem to exist in US.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeekyGal
This thread might help you re the old jar -- or at least give you a smile!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...ld-you-901483/
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 8:37 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Got a good recipe? Tried this idea a few years ago but could not find the ingredients locally either, e.g. candied peel does not seem to exist in US.
I have used this one in the past.

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/the-mince-that-made-my-butcher-wince/

I can get candied peel but only during the holidays. It’s usually hidden at the end of an aisle or beside their 'seasonal' baking ingredients. We also have 'bins' of varied Mexican dried fruits in our supermarket available year round, kind of pick and mix, although I can’t identify most of them. Then you have to hunt for suet.

To be honest although it was good, by the time I had bought the ingredients, made it and jarred it, it was cheaper and a hell of a lot less work just to buy a jar, and that’s coming from someone who loves to cook and bake.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Okay, so I went ahead and made the mincemeat with my 2-year-old jar. No stomach irregularities yet. They were delicious, albeit a bit sweeter than I remember. Maybe the fermentation caused that. Seriously though, it was "Robertsons" brand, and perhaps I should try None Such.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
far easier to make your own - just mix the ingredients and leave to marinade. Keeps forever if you make sure you top up with a spoonful or two of booze so it doesn’t dry out. this Christmas I used up the last of the mincemeat I made 5 years ago in the US, nice and fruity and not sickly sweet like some brands. Your out of date jar is probably fine too.
No it's not! Just buy it and add liquor.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 11:41 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve seen it in Whole Foods. Can’t vouch for the quality.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 11:59 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Our local store (Big Y) sells it. Spotted it in the bakery aisle last week.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Candied peel is really easy to make yourself and much cheaper than buying it, but it's easy enough to find in the winter at Wholefoods, Wegmans, Trader Joes.