Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Lost yourself after moving abroad?

Lost yourself after moving abroad?

Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost yourself after moving abroad?

I'm probably the odd one out here but I feel as though I actually found myself when I moved abroad. After almost 10 years in the US I've realised I'm sort of an odd person anyway, and that I fit in better in the US than in the UK but I don't fit in perfectly anywhere. As time goes on all the foods, activities, and friends that I enjoyed in the UK fade from my memory and cease to be a part of who I am. My family visits me once a year and that's plenty.

I did move when I was very young, and maybe that's part of it. I also come from a family of expats scattered around the globe, so I always grew up thinking I would be an expat myself. For a while when I moved out here I did completely lose my identity, but I suppose I grew a new one, and one that I prefer.

It is very unpleasant to feel you can't really be who you are in your present surroundings, and I dealt with that for a few years: it seems as though for you it's been a much more permanent thing. Sorry you're dealing with that.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

AimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura aboutAimeeKat has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Lost yourself after moving abroad?

Thank you everyone for the replies and your own experiences. I suppose it is what you make of it really. And, any new place need some sort of adapting. Some it comes easier for. For myself, moving to the UK I just haven't. My DH and I do plan to move back to the USA . He is much more adable, doesn't seem overly bothered by having friends and is happy just skyping family instead of actual contact. Meanwhile, I am working on finding things I enjoy again instead of just wallowing and fingers crossed once we do make the move back I will feel more at home in our new surroundings. I like the sense of community in the states. I haven't seen much of that in my town here in the uk. And as far as church..yes it was more of the social aspect and support I preferred.