Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:40 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

The thing is, not just what the oil costs but how often you change it. I drive a thai manufactured isuzu truck. The same truck in the uk has an annual or 20000 mile oil change, in america and the caribbean they say 3 months or 6000km ? My audi has smart monitoring of oil - it gets changed every 18-25000 miles or every 18 months. I worked for a transport co, our mercedes big trucks had oil changes at 80000 miles [but with oil filter change and oil testing every 20k] Is your oil really used cooking fat or is it just as i suspect a way to remove your money from you?

Incidentally all oil we get is semi or full synthetic, and goes from 20-30 pounds for 4 litres [30 gets you 0-50 ridiculous liquid gold, pours like water, probably works anywhere in the solar system...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Jan 11th 2018 at 11:43 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My truck has a lot of miles on it and I try and get it done twice a year, the other fluids get checked and topped up at the same time. So every 5,000 miles or so.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:20 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My truck has a lot of miles on it and I try and get it done twice a year, the other fluids get checked and topped up at the same time. So every 5,000 miles or so.
Do you see that if the working life of the fluids is literally several times the use you give them, then the fluids have to be thrown or expensively reprocessed, you are wasting money and you are wasting resources?

Are you aware that engine oil - while it does lubricate, that function will last 5-10 years so long as the filter is working - thats why commercial venicles often change the filter several times per oil change - its actually more important as an anti corrosion and cooling mechanism. Engines dont wear out, the plain bearings, race bearing outer surfaces and bore liners corrode out.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

As we are taking about cars. On our recent arrival in the UK and our rental from Avis, I was shocked to be upgraded for my return to the company from my previous rental using Europecar to a ..... Skoda !!!! My initial shock and objection to driving a Skoda was soon changed to a WOW, this is awesome. The last time I drove a Chech republic manufactured pile of junk was over 30 years ago, this beautiful vehicle was basically an Audi A6 or VW Passat estate, we fitted 5 huge suitcases in the back and had room for 5 adults, it was diesel and did an average of 68 MPG, apart from that I was well impressed at the smooth and comfortable ride, the 6 speed gear box, automatic accelerator move off and the speed I could effortlessly achieve.
10 out of 10 for Skoda
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Do you see that if the working life of the fluids is literally several times the use you give them, then the fluids have to be thrown or expensively reprocessed, you are wasting money and you are wasting resources?

Are you aware that engine oil - while it does lubricate, that function will last 5-10 years so long as the filter is working - thats why commercial venicles often change the filter several times per oil change - its actually more important as an anti corrosion and cooling mechanism. Engines dont wear out, the plain bearings, race bearing outer surfaces and bore liners corrode out.
I must agree with this post, when I lived in the UK I had an Audi 80, I had the same oil in it for 100,000 miles and on examination at my last service I was told the engine was as new. Also as a driver of a commercial vehicle I can confirm that my truck is serviced every 3 months and the oil is only changed every 3rd service.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 7:16 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk
As we are taking about cars. On our recent arrival in the UK and our rental from Avis, I was shocked to be upgraded for my return to the company from my previous rental using Europecar to a ..... Skoda !!!! My initial shock and objection to driving a Skoda was soon changed to a WOW, this is awesome. The last time I drove a Chech republic manufactured pile of junk was over 30 years ago, this beautiful vehicle was basically an Audi A6 or VW Passat estate, we fitted 5 huge suitcases in the back and had room for 5 adults, it was diesel and did an average of 68 MPG, apart from that I was well impressed at the smooth and comfortable ride, the 6 speed gear box, automatic accelerator move off and the speed I could effortlessly achieve.
10 out of 10 for Skoda
Interchange Sloda and Volkswagen. They are extreemly simmilar some models only different in name.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by excpomea
Interchange Sloda and Volkswagen. They are extreemly simmilar some models only different in name.
Agreed, the Skoda was basically a Passat with slightly different bodystyle.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Even their sporty use ones the same 2.0 20v the Audi's and VW's use.

Great engines and really tunable.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

For the last couple changes across 2 cars I've got deals for Sears on Groupon. Worth a check if it's available in your area.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
For the last couple changes across 2 cars I've got deals for Sears on Groupon. Worth a check if it's available in your area.
Presumably your post refers to insurance quotes and not some free giveaway of VAG engines?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to divert the thread; but I'm curious. Does anyone know of any "classic British" car retailers stateside?

I own a dealer-to-dealer remarketing company in the UK (Namely focused on ex fleet, we have agreements with Enterprise, Hertz, etc) and the second arm of that has a focus on high quality to concourse quality classics, of all kinds. Think 205 GTI's to Jag E types and everything in between.

I've been debating for a while establishing a US arm and importing (over 25 yrs) classics from the UK and exporting US classics in return. I have the ability to sell the US classics, source the UK classics and shipment, but I'm lacking the marketing on the US end. I'd be curious to see how the market is (excluding the excellent market for Defenders).
Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Hate to divert the thread; but I'm curious. Does anyone know of any "classic British" car retailers stateside?

I own a dealer-to-dealer remarketing company in the UK (Namely focused on ex fleet, we have agreements with Enterprise, Hertz, etc) and the second arm of that has a focus on high quality to concourse quality classics, of all kinds. Think 205 GTI's to Jag E types and everything in between.

I've been debating for a while establishing a US arm and importing (over 25 yrs) classics from the UK and exporting US classics in return. I have the ability to sell the US classics, source the UK classics and shipment, but I'm lacking the marketing on the US end. I'd be curious to see how the market is (excluding the excellent market for Defenders).
Very anecdotal but when we pick up a car from the docks we never see many British cars at the terminals.
There is traffic both ways definitely, most of the European exporters have an agent in the USA.
Be wary of Defenders ebay and Craigslist have plenty of rusty right hand drive Defenders re-listed over and over.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet would probably be to approach the Owners' Clubs and ask. I know a little of the market for Morgans, since I own one, but I'm in Canada so not really much help for the US market: the two biggest dealers for new cars (primarily the three-wheeler for the last few years, but I believe imports of the V6 Roadster have started again) are on the West coast, Isis Imports in San Francisco and Morgan West in Santa Monica. There is, however, a thriving market in classic cars and, given the climate in much of the US, many of them are much better preserved than the equivalent UK examples. The concours scene is huge, if that's your thing, with an awful lot of cars looking way more put-together than they ever would have done coming off the assembly line.

Classic British marques that sold relatively well in North America include MG (plenty of As and Bs, fewer Midgets), Triumph (all the TR series, and one or two Heralds) and Austin-Healey (sprites as well as the bigger straight-six) in addition to those that are still going - and therefore have main dealer networks - such as Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston-Martin. I'm sure Google can lead you to the owners' clubs who will know how the classic dealer market operates - and likely be able to introduce you to the people involved if they think it's worth their while.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

We have a shop that specializes in fixing British stuff around here, but nothing I know of that really sells them.

I keep an eye out now and again for a Series A short wheelbase or a small Healey, but its all classifieds really.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm.. thanks all, food for thought.

We've dabbled in US imports in the UK for years, but with the current exchange rate being as crappy as it is, the market for US imports in the UK (particularly with crap MPG) is slimming for sure.

I'd love to offset that by in essence importing a UK car, selling that for USD, using the USD to buy a US vehicle, selling that for GBP, using the GBP to buy another UK car.. you see the circle.. it makes the margins far more bearable.

My father would also like to emigrate "part time" to be closer to me & the Mrs. He has property out here in anycase and is semi retired, serving as a part time director in the car business back home, the US arm would assist us in that move too, but certainly isn't a deal breaker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.