Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / The Trailer Park

Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:40 am   #6676
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

The thing is, not just what the oil costs but how often you change it. I drive a thai manufactured isuzu truck. The same truck in the uk has an annual or 20000 mile oil change, in america and the caribbean they say 3 months or 6000km ? My audi has smart monitoring of oil - it gets changed every 18-25000 miles or every 18 months. I worked for a transport co, our mercedes big trucks had oil changes at 80000 miles [but with oil filter change and oil testing every 20k] Is your oil really used cooking fat or is it just as i suspect a way to remove your money from you?

Incidentally all oil we get is semi or full synthetic, and goes from 20-30 pounds for 4 litres [30 gets you 0-50 ridiculous liquid gold, pours like water, probably works anywhere in the solar system...

Last edited by uk_grenada; Jan 12th 2018 at 12:43 am.
uk_grenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 12:47 am   #6677
Boiler Male
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

My truck has a lot of miles on it and I try and get it done twice a year, the other fluids get checked and topped up at the same time. So every 5,000 miles or so.

Office Poster of the Denver Broncos, Ex Superbowl Champions Go Broncos
Warning: My answers may be deceptively simple and quite likely incomplete.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:20 am   #6678
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
My truck has a lot of miles on it and I try and get it done twice a year, the other fluids get checked and topped up at the same time. So every 5,000 miles or so.
Do you see that if the working life of the fluids is literally several times the use you give them, then the fluids have to be thrown or expensively reprocessed, you are wasting money and you are wasting resources?

Are you aware that engine oil - while it does lubricate, that function will last 5-10 years so long as the filter is working - thats why commercial venicles often change the filter several times per oil change - its actually more important as an anti corrosion and cooling mechanism. Engines dont wear out, the plain bearings, race bearing outer surfaces and bore liners corrode out.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:34 am   #6679
Just Joined

plasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really nice

As we are taking about cars. On our recent arrival in the UK and our rental from Avis, I was shocked to be upgraded for my return to the company from my previous rental using Europecar to a ..... Skoda !!!! My initial shock and objection to driving a Skoda was soon changed to a WOW, this is awesome. The last time I drove a Chech republic manufactured pile of junk was over 30 years ago, this beautiful vehicle was basically an Audi A6 or VW Passat estate, we fitted 5 huge suitcases in the back and had room for 5 adults, it was diesel and did an average of 68 MPG, apart from that I was well impressed at the smooth and comfortable ride, the 6 speed gear box, automatic accelerator move off and the speed I could effortlessly achieve.
10 out of 10 for Skoda
plasticbag_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:37 am   #6680
Just Joined

plasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really niceplasticbag_uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Do you see that if the working life of the fluids is literally several times the use you give them, then the fluids have to be thrown or expensively reprocessed, you are wasting money and you are wasting resources?

Are you aware that engine oil - while it does lubricate, that function will last 5-10 years so long as the filter is working - thats why commercial venicles often change the filter several times per oil change - its actually more important as an anti corrosion and cooling mechanism. Engines dont wear out, the plain bearings, race bearing outer surfaces and bore liners corrode out.
I must agree with this post, when I lived in the UK I had an Audi 80, I had the same oil in it for 100,000 miles and on examination at my last service I was told the engine was as new. Also as a driver of a commercial vehicle I can confirm that my truck is serviced every 3 months and the oil is only changed every 3rd service.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 8:16 pm   #6681
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbag_uk View Post
As we are taking about cars. On our recent arrival in the UK and our rental from Avis, I was shocked to be upgraded for my return to the company from my previous rental using Europecar to a ..... Skoda !!!! My initial shock and objection to driving a Skoda was soon changed to a WOW, this is awesome. The last time I drove a Chech republic manufactured pile of junk was over 30 years ago, this beautiful vehicle was basically an Audi A6 or VW Passat estate, we fitted 5 huge suitcases in the back and had room for 5 adults, it was diesel and did an average of 68 MPG, apart from that I was well impressed at the smooth and comfortable ride, the 6 speed gear box, automatic accelerator move off and the speed I could effortlessly achieve.
10 out of 10 for Skoda
Interchange Sloda and Volkswagen. They are extreemly simmilar some models only different in name.

Time Line: Who really cares. Just takes up space in the posts.
excpomea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th 2018, 12:05 am   #6682
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by excpomea View Post
Interchange Sloda and Volkswagen. They are extreemly simmilar some models only different in name.
Agreed, the Skoda was basically a Passat with slightly different bodystyle.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 1:27 am   #6683
BenK91 Male
BE Enthusiast

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Even their sporty use ones the same 2.0 20v the Audi's and VW's use.

Great engines and really tunable.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 3:34 am   #6684
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

For the last couple changes across 2 cars I've got deals for Sears on Groupon. Worth a check if it's available in your area.
tom169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th 2018, 6:03 pm   #6685
Unedicated dropout

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom169 View Post
For the last couple changes across 2 cars I've got deals for Sears on Groupon. Worth a check if it's available in your area.
Presumably your post refers to insurance quotes and not some free giveaway of VAG engines?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S Thompson
zzrmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 4:25 am   #6686
Forum Regular

TheKingOfHearts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hate to divert the thread; but I'm curious. Does anyone know of any "classic British" car retailers stateside?

I own a dealer-to-dealer remarketing company in the UK (Namely focused on ex fleet, we have agreements with Enterprise, Hertz, etc) and the second arm of that has a focus on high quality to concourse quality classics, of all kinds. Think 205 GTI's to Jag E types and everything in between.

I've been debating for a while establishing a US arm and importing (over 25 yrs) classics from the UK and exporting US classics in return. I have the ability to sell the US classics, source the UK classics and shipment, but I'm lacking the marketing on the US end. I'd be curious to see how the market is (excluding the excellent market for Defenders).
TheKingOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:33 pm   #6687
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts View Post
Hate to divert the thread; but I'm curious. Does anyone know of any "classic British" car retailers stateside?

I own a dealer-to-dealer remarketing company in the UK (Namely focused on ex fleet, we have agreements with Enterprise, Hertz, etc) and the second arm of that has a focus on high quality to concourse quality classics, of all kinds. Think 205 GTI's to Jag E types and everything in between.

I've been debating for a while establishing a US arm and importing (over 25 yrs) classics from the UK and exporting US classics in return. I have the ability to sell the US classics, source the UK classics and shipment, but I'm lacking the marketing on the US end. I'd be curious to see how the market is (excluding the excellent market for Defenders).
Very anecdotal but when we pick up a car from the docks we never see many British cars at the terminals.
There is traffic both ways definitely, most of the European exporters have an agent in the USA.
Be wary of Defenders ebay and Craigslist have plenty of rusty right hand drive Defenders re-listed over and over.
ottotheboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:27 pm   #6688
aphorism vacancy

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Your best bet would probably be to approach the Owners' Clubs and ask. I know a little of the market for Morgans, since I own one, but I'm in Canada so not really much help for the US market: the two biggest dealers for new cars (primarily the three-wheeler for the last few years, but I believe imports of the V6 Roadster have started again) are on the West coast, Isis Imports in San Francisco and Morgan West in Santa Monica. There is, however, a thriving market in classic cars and, given the climate in much of the US, many of them are much better preserved than the equivalent UK examples. The concours scene is huge, if that's your thing, with an awful lot of cars looking way more put-together than they ever would have done coming off the assembly line.

Classic British marques that sold relatively well in North America include MG (plenty of As and Bs, fewer Midgets), Triumph (all the TR series, and one or two Heralds) and Austin-Healey (sprites as well as the bigger straight-six) in addition to those that are still going - and therefore have main dealer networks - such as Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston-Martin. I'm sure Google can lead you to the owners' clubs who will know how the classic dealer market operates - and likely be able to introduce you to the people involved if they think it's worth their while.
Old Today, 3:58 pm   #6689
Nutek Male
Premium Member

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We have a shop that specializes in fixing British stuff around here, but nothing I know of that really sells them.

I keep an eye out now and again for a Series A short wheelbase or a small Healey, but its all classifieds really.
Nutek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / The Trailer Park