Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Honestly, you make a totally logical argument, and much of my decision was out of sheer curiosity as to how much longer a clutch could possibly last. If the service rep had reported that the clutch was badly worn, I trust him enough that I would have agreed to replace it, but he said it looked OK, and more than two years later he was obviously correct. When it hit 100,000 miles I started worrying about the clutch failing, but by the time it 200,000 miles I had given up worrying. Now I am just wondering how much longer is possible?

That said, we bought another Accord back in May of this year, and during the "presentation" by the finance guy about all the additional warranties and service plans we could purchase, while discussing one of the options he told us that as we were buying a car with a manual transmission the clutch would probably last upto around 60,000 miles! When I told him that we already had an accord with 325,000 miles on the clutch his face was a picture; he moved swiftly on to the next warranty option.
I have to say, I did wonder if you may have turned this into a bit of a 'science experiment'. That indeed being the case, I can only applaud your sense of curiosity - and innate mechanical sympathy. Good work fella!
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if Holden is now dead or if they have just stopped producing them in Australia.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...lding-business
Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Honestly, you make a totally logical argument, and much of my decision was out of sheer curiosity as to how much longer a clutch could possibly last. If the service rep had reported that the clutch was badly worn, I trust him enough that I would have agreed to replace it, but he said it looked OK, and more than two years later he was obviously correct. When it hit 100,000 miles I started worrying about the clutch failing, but by the time it 200,000 miles I had given up worrying. Now I am just wondering how much longer is possible?

That said, we bought another Accord back in May of this year, and during the "presentation" by the finance guy about all the additional warranties and service plans we could purchase, while discussing one of the options he told us that as we were buying a car with a manual transmission the clutch would probably last upto around 60,000 miles! When I told him that we already had an accord with 325,000 miles on the clutch his face was a picture; he moved swiftly on to the next warranty option.

Keep us posted, we just pulled the engine on a 92 Defender with 280,000km on the clock which drove fine but with clear wear on the clutch plate. We will be fitting a new plate, operating arm, release bearing and slave cylinder.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Keep us posted, we just pulled the engine on a 92 Defender with 280,000km on the clock which drove fine but with clear wear on the clutch plate. We will be fitting a new plate, operating arm, release bearing and slave cylinder.
Is that it's first clutch? Very impressive on something with 173,000 miles on it built in The Midlands
Old Oct 24th 2017, 6:15 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I'm not sure if Holden is now dead or if they have just stopped producing them in Australia.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...lding-business
Just saw one of those at our local Cars & Coffee
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-image2.jpeg   Let's talk about cars-image1.jpeg  
Old Oct 25th 2017, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a good recommendations for car insurance that aren't the usual big players such as Geico?

Cars we're wanting to insure are my 2015 Volkswagen GTI and my wife's 2012 Mini Clubman. We pay a reasonable rate with Geico but just curious to see what other options are out there.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:33 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine

Anyhow, I'm going to a dealer this weekend to check out a 2013 Ford Fiesta with about 30k on the clock, it's manual and only 7 and a half grand. It seems a fair deal to me.
I've never bought from a dealer before how should I prepare myself?

!
Make sure to ask the dealer if floor mats are included
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dc koop
Make sure to ask the dealer if floor mats are included
Be prepared for them to try and sell you an absurd maintenance plan that you do not need unless you plan on going through 6 clutches and 14 engines a year (non of which the maintenance plan will cover anyway )
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:41 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to wonder at the mind set of anyone who habitually has to drive in big city traffic wanting a car with a manual transmission
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BenK91
Be prepared for them to try and sell you an absurd maintenance plan that you do not need unless you plan on going through 6 clutches and 14 engines a year (non of which the maintenance plan will cover anyway )
I have never ever bought an extended warranty nor an anti-theft system or that other rip off the "special upholstery treatment against spills or stains"

This is how they all screw you into paying hundreds more just when you think you've got a great deal
Old Oct 26th 2017, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to wonder at the mind set of anyone who habitually has to drive in big city traffic wanting a car with a manual transmission
My wife insists on auto transmission, so that's that argument settled.
I have quasi manual with paddle shifters. I thought they would be cool but I rarely use them. Handy for entering the freeway merging with traffic.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
My wife insists on auto transmission, so that's that argument settled.
I have quasi manual with paddle shifters. I thought they would be cool but I rarely use them. Handy for entering the freeway merging with traffic.
The kickdown feature on an auto is a pretty cool feature too, most people seem unaware of it...
Old Oct 26th 2017, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a big deal if all you have ever owned is a manual. I have rented a few autos in the US (never in the UK where I always request a manual, and phone ahead to make sure that they know that I'm a Brit who knows how to drive a manual), and they are all like sofas, soft, with little road feel and horribly unsatisfying to drive.

As it happens Mrs P owned a manual when I met her, so sticking with manuals hasn't been any challenge at all so far, at least not in persuading Mrs P. ..... The problem these days is that the number of manuals available is declining.

A few years ago my MIL described us as "weird" for having three vehicles, all manual. We have since added a fourth!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 26th 2017 at 2:48 am.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I think that modern automatics have become so sophisticated and fast reacting, that they have become viable - even to purists.

I have a 2015 392 Challenger with an 8 speed ZF transmission that is remarkably good. I'd have preferred a manual, but the clutch was just too heavy for my wife to comfortably manage (she drives the car more than I do).
That said, I'm a weekend drag racer and my auto is noticeably faster than it's manual counterpart over a quarter mile - purely down to it's lightning fast shifts, that keep the car in the power band pretty much all the time when in sport mode.

I get that some drivers feel that auto takes involvement out of the driving experience, but as others have stated, I can paddle shift when I choose to (an involved process with 8 gears) or just rumble along in full auto.

Electronic control, multiple (up to 10) ratios, locking clutches, trans brakes, rev-matching and variable stall torque converters are a far cry from the old 3 or 4 speed valve-body actuated slush-boxes of the past.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

After 25yrs of manual gearboxes there is zero chance I'd buy one over here with the stop start driving.
Perhaps if I lived out in the sticks with some nice twisty roads to have fun on, or maybe for trackdays, but even with an auto you have the flappy paddles.
I have no idea why Europe is still so keen on manuals...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.