Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Aug 2nd 2017, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Bikes are one area where they got as fast as they were ever going to get for human beings on roads decades ago, I remember trying a Kawasaki Z 1300 with an aftermarket turbo many many many years ago it was unbelievable, you could pull the front wheel off the ground in any gear I think probably pretty much any speed. I certainly chickened out about 140 and it felt as that was just getting into its stride. I know things like the blackbird are probably a microsecond quicker, but really...

Just goes to show, one of my favourite bikes for fun was a honda 125 with a full race converted engine by pops yoshimura, t would do 22000 rpm, ran on castrol r and had an oil change every 250 miles, but with an orange glowing exhaust it would surprise without needing to enter entering hyperspace/speed mode...
The KZ1300 is my favorite of all the 6 cylinder bikes, very durable engine as well.
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I've got a small tear in my drivers seat. Has anyone managed to successfully patch a leather seat or had a tear repaired under warranty?
I had a Honda Accord V6 that I put well over 100k mile on in under four years. I traded it for a new car in '08 with a 3" rip in the driver's seat, which I had no idea how to get fixed. When I visited the dealership a week or so later, I noticed my old car on the lot for sale, so I naturally went over and took a look. The rip, which was right on the upright bolster and highly visible, was nowhere to be seen! The dealer had it repaired and it was completely invisible!

I have no idea how it was done, but my point is, if you ask a dealer, they know all the tricks and/or who to go to in order to get these things done.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I had a Honda Accord V6 that I put well over 100k mile on in under four years. I traded it for a new car in '08 with a 3" rip in the driver's seat, which I had no idea how to get fixed. When I visited the dealership a week or so later, I noticed my old car on the lot for sale, so I naturally went over and took a look. The rip, which was right on the upright bolster and highly visible, was nowhere to be seen! The dealer had it repaired and it was completely invisible!

I have no idea how it was done, but my point is, if you ask a dealer, they know all the tricks and/or who to go to in order to get these things done.
I have a friend who does that kind of work, if not reupholstering the whole cover he'd remove the offending panel and stitch in a new one. With a Devon UK address he might be a bit pricey for Stateside work but if it were me I'd be searching google for marine/auto upholsterers. I mention marine because bespoke replacement covers are common on boats whereas auto seat repair is not as much of a bouyant industry in this age of chuck away and buy new.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I have a friend who does that kind of work, if not reupholstering the whole cover he'd remove the offending panel and stitch in a new one. With a Devon UK address he might be a bit pricey for Stateside work but if it were me I'd be searching google for marine/auto upholsterers. I mention marine because bespoke replacement covers are common on boats whereas auto seat repair is not as much of a bouyant industry in this age of chuck away and buy new.
I will ask if I can get it repaired under warranty, or just put a patch on it. It sounds a bit spendy to replace a panel.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I will ask if I can get it repaired under warranty, or just put a patch on it. It sounds a bit spendy to replace a panel.
I forgot to say that I've replaced covers fairly cheaply before, we've got some reasonable junkyards around here. I seem to recall a seat base being $50 and if you are 'spanner/wrench handy' it's not too tricky a job, especially if changing just the base/back instead of peeling off the covers and putting them on the old unit.

Disclaimer: I am reasonably handy with mech/eng type work and forget that some folks aren't! As an example I decided to try my hand at picking a lock barrel last weekend, I was quite surprised at how quick and easy it was, just like in the movies.
Then cut two key blanks for that lock and another (key cutting is something I've had to do before). Lock picked and two different keys cut in under twenty minutes...
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in a Cul De Sac and everyone on the street is great. Everyone is friendly and polite to each other. Apart from one family everyone dislikes, long story short they're just busy-bodies, nosey and the wife works for the correctional system and therefore thinks she's a cop.

Husband got a brand new Tundra yesterday (he is quite possibly the biggest twat of the entire posse). He'd had it a few hours, was washing it on the drive way when his daughter comes in waaaaaay too hot and flies into the driveway and folds the entire right-side rear quarter in of his delightful new truck. All while I witnessed this while sat on the porch having a cigarette.

Sunday was a great day!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The French certainly know how to load up cars.

Overloaded driver stopped on French motorway | Euronews
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 7:54 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Pfft...

Overloaded car in New Hampshire prompts police warning - BBC News
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That looks like a dirt track. Do they have paved roads in NH?

Looks like some fun toys up for auction in KS

1705 W. Frontview Street, Dodge City, KS 67801 (Storage Lot)

Description of Property: 1) 1987 Dorsey semi trailer, 1DTV11X22HW025420
2) 1987 Fruehauf semi trailer, 1H2V05327HE030764
3) 1987 Fruehauf semi trailer, 1H2V05324HE031886

Minimum Bid: $2,160.00
Items will be offered for sale in the aggregate and separately

4) 2007 Chevrolet Corvette, VIN-1G1YY26E575136320, Odometer: 45,572 miles, Red
5) 2005 Harley Davidson, VIN-1HD1HAZ1X5K802161, VRSCA V-ROD R, unknown mileage
6) 2002 Kawasaki ZX1200C1 ZZR1200R, VIN-JKAZX9C162A004184, Odometer: 2,112 miles, Silver

Minimum Bid: $13,620
Items will be offered for sale in the aggregate and separately

Last edited by mrken30; Aug 23rd 2017 at 8:34 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

After getting by quite happily for 3 yrs with one vehicle for our family of 5, we now appear to have 3, with a total of 20 cylinders, 12,000 cc and 430,000 miles between them. I daren't tell our friends back in the UK.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by newadventure
After getting by quite happily for 3 yrs with one vehicle for our family of 5, we now appear to have 3, with a total of 20 cylinders, 12,000 cc and 430,000 miles between them. I daren't tell our friends back in the UK.
And the speed limit is what? And gas consumption ?
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

That's just about the only thing they know when it comes to cars.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
You are still "under vehicled"! We have four vehicles with 24 cyclinders, 14800cc, and 518,000 miles; .... oh, and there are only three of us, and only two of us hold driving licenses.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are still "under vehicled"! We have four vehicles with 24 cyclinders, 14800cc, and 518,000 miles; .... oh, and there are only three of us, and only two of us hold driving licenses.
'Murica
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 11:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
'Murica
More or less, but in truth 24 cylinders only really warrants three vehicles, not four.

If I can get an E60 M5 that will help boost the cylinder average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.