Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk about cars

I was surprised to see parked outside Lowes a few days ago, a red TR7. It wasn't in the best shape, and the paint was badly oxidized.

It's not the first TR7 I've seen here, but I've never seen a TR8 in the US, although I had previously heard that the TR8 was developed for the US market, with the ;3.5 litre Rover V8, as opposed to the 2 litre 4 cylinder in the TR7.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Citation needed for TR7 in "the best shape".
Old Jun 24th 2013, 10:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Citation needed for TR7 in "the best shape".
Well whatever it was, it would have come from the Solihull or Canley plants, because, while none of them were great, apparently those from the Speke plant were worse. ..... Maybe the one I saw outside Lowes was a Speke car?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 24th 2013 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well whatever it was, it would have come from the Solihull or Canley plants, because, while none of them were great, apparently those from the Speke plant were worse. ..... Maybe the one I saw outside Lowes was a Speke car?
To be fair, I always have a dream of one day getting a classic British roadster and Triumph is on the list of potentials. TR6 or a Spitfire maybe.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I was surprised to see parked outside Lowes a few days ago, a red TR7. It wasn't in the best shape, and the paint was badly oxidized.

It's not the first TR7 I've seen here, but I've never seen a TR8 in the US, although I had previously heard that the TR8 was developed for the US market, with the ;3.5 litre Rover V8, as opposed to the 2 litre 4 cylinder in the TR7.
I remember a secretary we had in the late 70's had a TR7. I recall the TR8 being reviewed in either Motor Trend or Road & Track -- but I do not recall ever seeing one. Having owned a Sunbeam Tiger, I would have remembered if I had seen a TR8.

I think fewer than 500 were sold if memory serves me correct.

I do recall seeing an "MGC GT" which had the V8 shoe-horned into an MGB-GT if memory serves me correct.

p.s. I just looked it up -- I remember seeing MGC which was a 6-cylinder. I read about the MGB-V8 which never made it over to the US.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jun 25th 2013 at 12:05 am.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
....... TR6 or a Spitfire maybe.
I saw a Spitfire three or four years ago, it was ahead of me as I drove out of town. I wondered where it was going, ..... then it turned into my subdivision, ..... and then into the the cul-de-sac where I live, but it swung round at the end and shot off before I got a chance to flag it down. Unlike the TR7, the Spitfire, a 1500, was in immaculate condition.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I remember a secretary we had in the late 70's had a TR7. I recall the TR8 being reviewed in either Motor Trend or Road & Track -- but I do not recall ever seeing one. Having owned a Sunbeam Tiger, I would have remembered if I had seen a TR8.

I think fewer than 500 were sold if memory serves me correct
500 is probably about right, because I think about 2,000 TR8's were manufactured

I do recall seeing an "MGC GT" which had the V8 shoe-horned into an MGB-GT if memory serves me correct.

p.s. I just looked it up -- I remember seeing MGC which was a 6-cylinder. I read about the MGB-V8 which never made it over to the US.
Interesting, I didn't realise that the V8 didn't make it to the US, because like the TR8, the V8 MGB was designed for the US market. I only ever recall seeing one MGC, and I didn't realize it had a six cylinder in it.

Did you know there was a late batch of MGBs made in the early 1990's, I think, ..... they made about 2,000 that were mechanically very similar to the MGB that had been discontinued in 1980. All were V8's, but the bodywork was "reinterpreted" - bulked-up, like an old MGB on steroids!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased a used green TR4-A when I lived in Switzerland in the late 1960s. Then I bought a new yellow VW Porsche 914. The TR4-A was actually more reliable than the 914.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about cars-pgv1.jpg   Let's talk about cars-vw-porsche-914.jpg  
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that this is probably a complete different class of car but what do you guys think of MazdaMX5?

The Harley may be going at the end of the year and I want a little fairly inexpencive convertible. Well if I can convince the man..
Old Jun 25th 2013, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Michael
I purchased a used green TR4-A when I lived in Switzerland in the late 1960s. Then I bought a new yellow VW Porsche 914. The TR4-A was actually more reliable than the 914.
The TR4-A was a beautiful little car, as of course was the TR5, which had the same body, but a larger engine. .... Then there was the TR6, which looked like a brick, especially with the top down, and had the same engine as the TR5, but with a larger body!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:46 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I know that this is probably a complete different class of car but what do you guys think of MazdaMX5?
If you're going to buy a roadster, then that's one of your best options. The primary downsides are that Mazda could eventually bail out on the US (the company generally does poorly here), and the dealership network is fairly small, should you need it.

If used cars are a possibility, then you might also want to consider the Honda S2000.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 3:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's a chap up the road that has a very lovely one in the drive, also has a nice MG and a 'vette too.

Another not to bad MG across town and then a Midget near by is for sale.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If you're going to buy a roadster, then that's one of your best options. The primary downsides are that Mazda could eventually bail out on the US (the company generally does poorly here), and the dealership network is fairly small, should you need it.
Unlikely. Mazda are due to open a plant in Mexico to meet the demand of Mazda's in the US and North America.
The one word that best describes the mx5, FUN!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 5:16 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The TR4-A was a beautiful little car, as of course was the TR5, which had the same body, but a larger engine. .... Then there was the TR6, which looked like a brick, especially with the top down, and had the same engine as the TR5, but with a larger body!
I recall that the TR-4A with the six cylinder engine was sold as the TR-250 over here. In 1970 the Datsun 240Z came on the market and killed any demand for British roadsters.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 6:19 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Unlikely. Mazda are due to open a plant in Mexico to meet the demand of Mazda's in the US and North America.
Mazda has less than 2% market share in the US, and its share is declining. While the US car market grew YTD, Mazda sales dipped slightly.

Mazda went to Mexico for cheaper labor and because of the strong yen. It's more of a Hail Mary than an indication of strength.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.