Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

!K-1 Changes at London Embassy: Read Me!

!K-1 Changes at London Embassy: Read Me!

Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

mcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nice
Default Re: !K-1 Changes at London Embassy: Read Me!

Originally Posted by Madelina
This thing about paying in advance is really concerning me now.... i read this here on the board, i got my interview letter with date back in August, and i think this has since come into effect: they havent contacted me to inform me, but having read it here, i actually have tried calling and calling the O-A Line, but i get through to "weareextremely busy, please try again later" then get cut off, so i can't even pay in advance even though i want to! i dont have the time or money to sit there trying again and again!!
Do you think they're still takikng payment at the Embassy for those cases where dates and letters were already issued?

pleasesayyespleasesayyes!!
I read that your K visa was approved today - Congratulations!

Did you manage to get through on the phone line to pay, or did you pay at the Embassy during your interview?

I am in a similar sitaution, where my appoinment letter didn't say anything about paying beforehand, and my interview is one week today.

Assuming I can get through, I will just use the phone service, I am just curious about your situation really.

Thanks!
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

hi, yes i paid via the phone line, though i'm REALLY annoyed they took 20 minutes over it! £1.20 a minute!! they told me i could have paid at the embassy if i hadnt already, though when i was there, there was a huge queue for the cashiers desk, so i'd still advise to pay in advance
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

mcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nicemcallisterra is just really nice

Originally Posted by Madelina
hi, yes i paid via the phone line, though i'm REALLY annoyed they took 20 minutes over it! £1.20 a minute!! they told me i could have paid at the embassy if i hadnt already, though when i was there, there was a huge queue for the cashiers desk, so i'd still advise to pay in advance
Thank you!

That's the answer I was expecting really. £1.20 per minute is ridiculous when the reason for the call is to pay them anyway though.

Thanks anyway, and congrats again.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcallisterra
£1.20 per minute is ridiculous when the reason for the call is to pay them anyway though.
You write this as though you believe it's the Embassy that's actually collecting the fees for the phone call!

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You write this as though you believe it's the Embassy that's actually collecting the fees for the phone call!

Ian
Yea I guess. There's plenty of other pay-over-the-phone lines that aren't even half that much though. I don't get why it needs to be so much....or what makes it take 20 minutes.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcallisterra
Yea I guess. There's plenty of other pay-over-the-phone lines that aren't even half that much though. I don't get why it needs to be so much....or what makes it take 20 minutes.
I'm guessing the cost is based on the perceived importance of the call to the person calling; plus, it deters frivolous inquiries. As for the time it takes to respond... there are probably a lot of callers willing to pay the price!

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing the cost is based on the perceived importance of the call to the person calling; plus, it deters frivolous inquiries. As for the time it takes to respond... there are probably a lot of callers willing to pay the price!

Ian
I wondering if the Embassy actually pay the company providing the call center service anything at all and the only income that company gets is from the phone calls. At £72 an hour per operator that is higher than labour charges in general for other services.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Ian

Madelina's post made it sound like they took 20 minutes actually on the phone with her. I didn't read it that she was on hold for 15 minutes or anything, which may have been the case.

Either way, at the stage you are at when making this phone call, the price is a drop in the ocean I guess. Still seems a bit steep though.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lansbury
At £72 an hour per operator that is higher than labour charges in general for other services.
I'm guessing that's not what the operators are paid (but if it is, where do I sign up?), and the majority of the cost goes into infrastructure, utilities, rent, etc.

Ian
Old Oct 9th 2010, 8:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that's not what the operators are paid (but if it is, where do I sign up?), and the majority of the cost goes into infrastructure, utilities, rent, etc.

Ian
I meant that is what the company would take in per operator if the phone line was in use for 60 minutes of every hour.

Still leaves the question is the cost £1.20 a minute because that is the only revenue the company gets from the service, in which case it probably isn't really extortionate. Or do they get paid by the Embassy as well in which case it is a bit OTT. Getting charged £12 to pay a bill is not easy defensible either way.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Just a quick update to anyone about to call the MRV phone number:

I called them today, got a very helpful and efficient Scottish lady, and I was done in 5 minutes flat. That included listening to all the recorded messages at the start too, so it's not too bad.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Bump to the top. New payment and medical appointment info in this thread.