Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Juice: "Not From Concentrate"

Juice: "Not From Concentrate"

Old Jun 19th 2017, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Juice: "Not From Concentrate"

Does it matter?
I only buy Not From Concentrate OJ and Limejuice
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Juice: "Not From Concentrate"

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Does it matter?
all it means is that the juice hasn't been imported as a concentrate and then diluted just before packing, doesn't really matter although some purists will say that as it has been 'messed about' with it's not as good.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:23 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter?
Buy a juicer, easy, more or less cheap and long lasting. Don't forget that fruit juices, even fresh, are more or less sugar concentrate.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Don't buy fruit juice and don't give it to your kids.

Ex-dental hygienist here. Fruit juice is full of sugar and is acidic. One glass of orange juice contains about 6 oranges. Studies have shown that if you put oranges in front of a person they will generally only eat 1 and feel full (thanks to the fibre and having to eat the fruit), This leads to a healthier calorie/nutrient profile in the diet. if you give someone orange juice, they will pour a glass (6 oranges with fibre removed) and not feel full. So it's just about empty calories.

Juicing separates out the fibre but is still sugary and acidic so is really not much better than bought juice.

If you absolutely must serve juice then only serve it at meal times and not between meals (minimising acid attacks on the teeth).

Sorry but saw too many kids with tooth erosion/decay to keep quiet on this one. And I have never bought juice routinely for me or my kids. We all have perfect teeth.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The not from concentrate has a better taste for me, less watery tasting. I don't drink much juice anymore though. Although I did drink a crap ton in the past.

Now I just eat 3 or 4 oranges a day.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 5:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter?
We do, as well. Whether it is or not, we find it fresher and tastier than the from concentrate juice. If I wanted to go that route, I would buy the frozen cans, add water to a container and shake until I have 'juice'.

No, I am not about to buy a juicer or juice by hand. The oranges you buy in the supermarket are hit or miss in regards to being ripe enough and juicy enough to make a good glass of OJ.

PS A normal juice size glass of OJ is not the equivalent of 6 oranges and I doubt it is enough to rot out the teeth of the young. I know you are an 'expert' on dental matters, but I don't agree with you on this at all.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 19th 2017 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Buy a juicer, easy, more or less cheap and long lasting. Don't forget that fruit juices, even fresh, are more or less sugar concentrate.
I have a juicer ....., but it's still quicker to just pour from a store bought bottle

On a serious note: is there a considerable nutrional difference between freshly squeezed juice and store-bough Not from Concentrate juice?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Don't buy fruit juice and don't give it to your kids.

Ex-dental hygienist here. Fruit juice is full of sugar and is acidic. One glass of orange juice contains about 6 oranges. Studies have shown that if you put oranges in front of a person they will generally only eat 1 and feel full (thanks to the fibre and having to eat the fruit), This leads to a healthier calorie/nutrient profile in the diet. if you give someone orange juice, they will pour a glass (6 oranges with fibre removed) and not feel full. So it's just about empty calories.

Juicing separates out the fibre but is still sugary and acidic so is really not much better than bought juice.

If you absolutely must serve juice then only serve it at meal times and not between meals (minimising acid attacks on the teeth).

Sorry but saw too many kids with tooth erosion/decay to keep quiet on this one. And I have never bought juice routinely for me or my kids. We all have perfect teeth.
My dentist told me to severly cut-down on drinking juice, especially the Limeade (not from Concentrate) I buy. I just can't help myself , am soo addicted to the acidic taste.

I have been trying to eat oranges instead of drinking the juice , but doesn't biting into the orange, just rub the acidic juice all over the teeth and keep it there for a long time while drinking Orange juice (through a straw) bypasses the teeth much more than eating does?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get 'Trop 50' in the US? It's basically Tropicana with less sugar, 50% of the sugar is replaced with water. I'm diabetic so don't drink OJ very often but if I do I get Trop 50. At first it tasted too watery for me, but now I prefer it and the normal pure orange juice tastes too sweet. So you do get used to it. It's fresh with bits not from concentrate, and of course if you're watching your waist line it's half the calories.

I wouldn't say to never drink fruit juice but I think it should be a treat rather than an every day thing. Like if you're having breakfast at a hotel or a special breakfast in bed for Mother's Day, something like that. My husband sometimes makes juice in the blender, but he uses mainly vegetables with only a little fruit.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Here is what I usually buy;

Last night I drank a full 1.75L bottle of the below OJ , over the course of around 2 hours.

Tropicana No Pulp Low Acid . 100% Pure Reduced Acid , with Calcium and Vitamin A and C. Never from Concentrate. Pure premium . 22grams of Sugar
https://www.metromarket.net/p/tropic.../0004850030922

I also drink the below OJ quite frequently. Minute Maid pure squeezed OJ. Not from Concentrate.
https://www.metromarket.net/p/minute.../0002500004673

Yes we have Trop50 here.

I drink a lot of this Limeade also. Not From Concentrate.
https://www.metromarket.net/p/simply.../0002500005425
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Can you get 'Trop 50' in the US? It's basically Tropicana with less sugar, 50% of the sugar is replaced with water. I'm diabetic so don't drink OJ very often but if I do I get Trop 50. At first it tasted too watery for me, but now I prefer it and the normal pure orange juice tastes too sweet. So you do get used to it. It's fresh with bits not from concentrate, and of course if you're watching your waist line it's half the calories.

I wouldn't say to never drink fruit juice but I think it should be a treat rather than an every day thing. Like if you're having breakfast at a hotel or a special breakfast in bed for Mother's Day, something like that. My husband sometimes makes juice in the blender, but he uses mainly vegetables with only a little fruit.
I'm diabetic and not allowed any fruit juice whatsoever. But I did buy this for hubby and took a shot glass full and didn't like it at all. Left a strong aftertaste.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:04 pm
Concierge

Well you are drinking an awful lot of sugar in one day. Never mind your teeth, I'm sure that can't be good for your insulin production.

Here is what I usually buy;

Last night I drank a full 1.75L bottle of the below OJ , over the course of around 2 hours.

Tropicana No Pulp Low Acid . 100% Pure Reduced Acid , with Calcium and Vitamin A and C. Never from Concentrate. Pure premium . 22grams of Sugar
https://www.metromarket.net/p/tropic.../0004850030922

I also drink the below OJ quite frequently. Minute Maid pure squeezed OJ. Not from Concentrate.
https://www.metromarket.net/p/minute.../0002500004673

Yes we have Trop50 here.

I drink a lot of this Limeade also. Not From Concentrate.
https://www.metromarket.net/p/simply.../0002500005425
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
Well you are drinking an awful lot of sugar in one day. Never mind your teeth, I'm sure that can't be good for your insulin production.
When it says 22grams of sugar on the 1.75L bottle of OJ , is that 22g for the whole bottle?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Per serving which according to the tropicana website is 8fl oz.

Coca Cola has roughly 25g in 8fl oz.

When it says 22grams of sugar on the 1.75L bottle of OJ , is that 22g for the whole bottle?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 20th 2017 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 5:30 pm
Concierge

Agreed with JSmith, it is per glass not per bottle. Which is why a diabetic cannot drink juice.

For example, your three main meals at to be between 45-60 carbs. Each gram of sugar is a carb. One glass of juice and nearly 50% of your meal is account for.

Edited the post because google showed me that an 8 oz glass of OJ is 22 grams of sugar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.