Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

internet cost and lack of competition in the land of the free

internet cost and lack of competition in the land of the free

Old Aug 29th 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default internet cost and lack of competition in the land of the free

So I got an email today for my next AT&T internet bill. $80.41 up from 41.32 in April/May, almost 100% increase! If actually increased to $53.08 in May/June and then rose to current level last month. OK I should have noticed it earlier but this year has been odd and I am having to keep a sharp eye on my parents incoming and outgoing income so a regular bill doesn't get much of look until I decide to look at it. So I thought I would do what I usually do and check the other provider we have in this area and bargain - suddenlink. $39.00 a month but then I notice it has a data cap of 250gb.

I have no idea about how much x number of photos use or how much streaming hulu and netflix but I doubt that we use that much (although I have daughter upstairs who downloads movies). I should imagine that a family would go through that amount of data quite quickly and what happens when you suddenly reach your data cap- stop using the internet until the next billing cycle?

AT&T does not advertise its data cap apparently but at 150gb for broadband and 250gb for U-verse. At&T caps

still going to try the usual bargaining 'I am a local customer' chip, just wish there was some real competition.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: internet cost and lack of competition in the land of the free

That is more then we even pay... 63.00 a month up this way in Canada for 150gb data limit.

If we don't use netflix, we average around 30-40gb a month surfing the net, uploading photos, and such.

If we use netflix we have to keep an eye on how much we watch it and we can exceed 150gb so we try and limit netflix use.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 2:20 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JJMB
I got a letter in the post today from AT&T offering their U-Verse + TV for $60 which is $26 a month cheaper than TWC, so I'm going to phone and threaten to leave. The U-Verse is slower (a bit, I wouldn't notice but I bet dear son would) but apart from that we are getting the tv as well which we aren't with TWC.

Wish google fiber would get a move on out to the suburbs.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:02 am
Banned

gcjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

only heavy heavy users go anywhere near 250gb!
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:32 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcjunkie

Old Aug 30th 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I use TWC's roadrunner (have for 15 years now).

Just looking at Aug and July usage it was 258 GB and 261 GB. We are fairly heavy streaming users but certainly not what I would call excessive.

Streaming an HD movie would probably be around the 1 GB mark so its not that hard to hit a 250GB limit.

Personally I wouldn't touch AT&T U-Verse with a barge pole precisely because of this type of crap they pull.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I use TWC's roadrunner (have for 15 years now).

Just looking at Aug and July usage it was 258 GB and 261 GB. We are fairly heavy streaming users but certainly not what I would call excessive.

Streaming an HD movie would probably be around the 1 GB mark so its not that hard to hit a 250GB limit.

Personally I wouldn't touch AT&T U-Verse with a barge pole precisely because of this type of crap they pull.
Not much choice as Suddenlink and A&TT are our only providers. It Suddenlink that has the official cap - you can get 350gb if you pay 59.99. Must admit I thought the FCC had said companies couldn't add caps but apparently it was only for extremely low caps. ATT does not actually enforce their cap limits unless you are persistent offender.
Reading up about this a little and there is some newer technology coming along for the streaming sites which will be at least double peoples data usage and 250gb will easily maxed out with a family of 4 using various devices to watch streaming tv. Obviously the caps are way for companies to draw people away from streaming back to cable tv.
PF, the $80 is just for internet, no TV. Almost tempted to add TV back as seems we are being penalised for just using the internet. Have never had a issue with U-verse, service has been very good. Just this stupid haggling we have to go through each year!
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
Not much choice as Suddenlink and A&TT are our only providers. It Suddenlink that has the official cap - you can get 350gb if you pay 59.99. Must admit I thought the FCC had said companies couldn't add caps but apparently it was only for extremely low caps. ATT does not actually enforce their cap limits unless you are persistent offender.
Reading up about this a little and there is some newer technology coming along for the streaming sites which will be at least double peoples data usage and 250gb will easily maxed out with a family of 4 using various devices to watch streaming tv. Obviously the caps are way for companies to draw people away from streaming back to cable tv.
PF, the $80 is just for internet, no TV. Almost tempted to add TV back as seems we are being penalised for just using the internet. Have never had a issue with U-verse, service has been very good. Just this stupid haggling we have to go through each year!
The best answer seems to be be competition and for now that appears to be Google Fiber. TWC is having to be proactive in the markets that they will compete with Google. In our area they are upgrading their infrastructure to support their "Maxx" initiative which provides speeds similar to Google Fiber (300/20 Mbps). Supposedly as existing customers we will get this for free. Trying to head off the mass transfers :-)
Old Aug 30th 2015, 8:52 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You might be surprised. A HD movie is 3GB per hour from Netflix (1GB in 'low-def').

My DropBox account is now close to 1TB. I'd use up 4 months allowance just syncing a new device!

I'm in the boonies and have 15Mbps down and 3Mbps up via a wireless link to my ISPs antenna on a water tower in the nearest city. No caps. $50 a month plus taxes
Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well trying to haggle this year didn't work So it change companies I go. Anyone got a recommendation for a good wifi router as will need a new one.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Well trying to haggle this year didn't work So it change companies I go. Anyone got a recommendation for a good wifi router as will need a new one.
We always use Netgear. Never had one fail on me. The new Google one is causing quite a stir.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:53 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your needs. I use Ubiquiti gear ( https://www.ubnt.com ) but I'm covering a small ranch and have 10+ access points. I use the same gear at my business. For SOHO it is awesome gear and rivals the CISCO gear I'm more familiar with (albeit 10 times the cost for CISCO).
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Both my wife and I work from home and we have two teenagers who skype, roadblox and netflix day and night. Our average is 500-600GB per month.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

So in the end I decided to change to Suddenlink as Uverse was not going to lower my bill by much plus no increase in speed.
So now I feel like I am chained to the data cap as I checked how much data we are using each day and it is a surprise. Its only half way through a short month and it shows we have used 161.1 gb of a 350gb allowance. We are not game users. We mainly browse the internet and stream tv. I watch maybe 2.5 hrs of Hulu/netflix a day plus 45 mins in the evening with my husband. My daughter will stream about 10hrs of Hulu/netflix a week plus she has her cellphone on wifi when she is home. I have set Hulu/netflix to lower bandwidth. My husband downloads about 4 podcasts a week. I really find I am limiting my use of the internet etc.
Reading up about caps, it seems all of the providers are now setting them but ATT only implements them for lower DSL users, not Uverse at the moment. But do I risk moving back to ATT uverse, only to find they implementing the data caps?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:51 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

How do you guys know how much you use? We have uverse is it hidden away somewhere on p at&t's site?

I think we are moderate to heavy users. The Dude (17) is never off a device, whether it's messaging, snap chatting, X boxing, streaming music, YouTube etc. Hubby works from home once a week and we Netflix and I Facebook and FaceTime a bit.

I think our plan and caps seem fine but I'd love a better wi-fi signal. Using the Netgear extender just seemed to make the wi-fi worse everywhere rather than extend good wi-fi to the areas that were lacking - any suggestions from you techie folk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.