Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Informed delivery service from USPS

Informed delivery service from USPS

Old Jul 17th 2017, 1:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Informed delivery service from USPS

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I recently went to get a hair cut and put in the address of the lady that does it - Google Maps kindly informed me that I last went their three months ago!
If you've been there before, why did you need to put it in the gps?
Old Jul 17th 2017, 1:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You don't even need to go as far as entering anything on a gps with google. Just look up an address on your phone to get a map or something, and your phone/google remembers that you have done that before. And if you have location services switched on, it knows where you are at all times and therefore where you have been and makes "helpful" suggestions. Might as well wear an ankle bracelet.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 1:53 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You don't even need to go as far as entering anything on a gps with google. Just look up an address on your phone to get a map or something, and your phone/google remembers that you have done that before. And if you have location services switched on, it knows where you are at all times and therefore where you have been and makes "helpful" suggestions. Might as well wear an ankle bracelet.
I don't have that happen to me and I never ever have my location on. Not playing that game.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 1:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have that happen to me and I never ever have my location on. Not playing that game.
Perhaps Google doesn't work upside down
Old Jul 17th 2017, 1:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Perhaps Google doesn't work upside down
Too dizzy? Possibly.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Because I needed to go through town to get petrol when I have always previously looped out through the country to get there, so a totally different way (the two routes are almost two halves of a circle), and I particularly didn't want to miss the turn in one of the small towns that route went through.

It also gave me an estimate of when I would get there, so how far above the speed limit I would need to drive to arrive on time.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It also gave me an estimate of when I would get there, so how far above the speed limit I would need to drive to arrive on time.
This seems to get more accurate as time goes by. I think it learns how you drive and adjusts the arrival time accordingly.

My phone is very good at predicting where I'm going. When I get in my car in the morning, it tells me the travel time to work without ever launching the app (or even unlocking the phone). Same thing when I leave work tells me travel time home.

Big Brother indeed.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 2:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
This seems to get more accurate as time goes by. I think it learns how you drive and adjusts the arrival time accordingly.

My phone is very good at predicting where I'm going. When I get in my car in the morning, it tells me the travel time to work without ever launching the app ....
Agreed. For journeys of 30 minutes or more, with few traffic lights, I find that the predicted arrival time is usually within 1-2 minutes of what I actually achieve.

On shorter journeys with many traffic lights the accuracy is much less and if I can hit a string of green lights I find I can beat a 20 minute prediction by 3-4 minutes .... but a string of red lights has the opposite effect.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I rest my case.
Attached Thumbnails Informed delivery service from USPS-usps.jpg