Illnesses

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Illnesses

I hadn't been ill for years before I moved here in August.

Since then I've had 3 colds, a bout of flu and now have Gastroenteritis. Has anyone found this? Getting used to new and varied bugs? I guess it dosen't help that I work in a hospital, but I'm pretty fed up at this point!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illnesses

Originally Posted by civilservant

Since then I've had 3 colds, a bout of flu and now have Gastroenteritis. Has anyone found this? Getting used to new and varied bugs? I guess it dosen't help that I work in a hospital, but I'm pretty fed up at this point!
I'm no health professional, but I'd chalk it up to change in weather, change in environment, change in diet, perhaps a change in exercise, etc.

When my husband first moved to the USA (from Turkey), he gained about 25 lbs in 6 months! He was eating out a lot more, fast food, and exercising less. He managed to drop 15 lbs during the next year or so, but then a couple of years later got his cholesterol checked and it was around 260!! Waaaay high. So the doctor suggested modifying his diet and exercising more, and now he's back to his normal weight, and his cholesterol is down to a number within normal range, too.

Have you seen a doctor?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 2nd 2014 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm no health professional, but I'd chalk it up to change in weather, change in environment, change in diet, perhaps a change in exercise, etc.

Have you seen a doctor?

Rene
No, since none of it has been serious enough to warrant visiting one - it just seems to be happening again and again. All these slightly different foreign bugs are getting through my defences!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:26 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Having a young child doesn't help either but I too have been sick much more frequently since moving here though it has settled down a bit.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Stress can reduce the effectiveness of your immune system, and moving is pretty stressful.

Problem with the US is when you probably should go to the doctor, you tend to think about how much it is going to cost, and so you don't go.

Maybe see a doctor and take the hit for some routine blood tests.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Stress can reduce the effectiveness of your immune system, and moving is pretty stressful.

Problem with the US is when you probably should go to the doctor, you tend to think about how much it is going to cost, and so you don't go.

+1 to all of the above.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:30 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

No, since none of it has been serious enough to warrant visiting one - it just seems to be happening again and again. All these slightly different foreign bugs are getting through my defences!
You're in Georgia, CS. The change in the humidity alone could do it. Allergies to the local molds could do it. The best you can do is put an air filter in your bedroom at night, drink lots of water, rinse your sinuses with a neti pot or squeeze bottle made for the purpose, wash your hands obsessively, get enough sleep and nutrition, and get your flu shot. The stomach troubles are just going to happen; as a frequent traveler, believe me, they do happen. I'm sorry you're ill.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:51 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

It's crazy isn't it. First thought is not, I wonder what's wrong with me, but how much is this going to cost me?
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say climate can be a factor. Even here in the North-East, it's a less damp than the UK and that seems to agree with me. I get colds less here and they don't usually tail off into a cough that lasts for weeks like I used to get back in Blighty.

OH, despite being a US native, seems to agree with the UK climate more though!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I'd say climate can be a factor. Even here in the North-East, it's a less damp than the UK and that seems to agree with me. I get colds less here and they don't usually tail off into a cough that lasts for weeks like I used to get back in Blighty.

OH, despite being a US native, seems to agree with the UK climate more though!
Yes, the cold, damp conditions here (Glasgow) seem to lead to a lot of bronchial problems.

Interestingly, I developed asthma and hay fever as a child growing up in a UK council house with damp and mould problems (my bed was right next to the window, with streaming condensation on it).

When I moved to the Bahamas, both conditions disappeared. Immediately.

I moved to Massachusetts, still no problems.

When I moved to the Southeast USA (I was told Athens GA was the mould capital of the US), my seasonal allergies came back, and I've been stuck with them since. But my asthma never came back.

Now, in cold, perpetually damp Glasgow I find I have a lot more problems with "me Arthur-it is" (joint and muscle pains), that I never got in the southeast US.

I had forgotten the OP was in GA - although it sounds like she has colds and tummy bugs, I wouldn't be surprised if the humidity and mould was playing some role.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I had forgotten the OP was in GA - although it sounds like she has colds and tummy bugs, I wouldn't be surprised if the humidity and mould was playing some role.
I agree with this. Also, gender reassignment can have serious side effects too.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:03 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by robin1234
I agree with this. Also, gender reassignment can have serious side effects too.
Yes, when I moved to Georgia I came over all strange, like.

All right, all right, I clearly need to pay more attention!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We moved about 15 miles away when my daughter was 2 yrs old. In the first few months she came down with several bugs. Our doctor said it was due to new germs/bugs she wasn't used to. He said even moving a few miles can make a difference.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:25 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
It's crazy isn't it. First thought is not, I wonder what's wrong with me, but how much is this going to cost me?
I have had some tests ordered after going to my GP. My first thought, like yours, how much is this going to cost me.

Yet my wife continues to defend the healthcare system here. They're blinded by any other way than 100% private.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 7:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When I first went to work at Heathrow I had a run of coughs, colds and other minor illnesses. Put that down to coming into contact with people from all over the world bringing in strains of the stuff I hadn't built an immunity to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.