Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

Old Jun 11th 2015, 8:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I just booked a flight (UK domestic route on Flybe) yesterday evening. The charge to check baggage equated to another 50% on top of the basic return fare but is something I'm more than happy enough to pay; especially when trying to squeeze everything you need into a carry on bag just isn't feasible a lot of the time.
What was the base fare? 50% of my last flight for a bag would have been like 100 dollars and some change.

Anyhow, both of Canada's major airlines are against a standardised size, and have no plans to change their current size limit.

Air Canada, West Jet say no to standardized carry-on size - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Jun 11th 2015, 9:33 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

The base fare was £75 and charge for checked baggage was £33.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 4:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Airlines brought the mess ( at least those who charge for checked bags) on themselves, charge idiotic fees to check a bag,
The counter argument to that is why should I who doesn't have a checked bag, and has a reasonable sized carry on, pay the same as someone who is dumping a 50lb bag in the hold. It costs the airline to carry the bag, so why should I pay for something I don't need.

In fact I go the other way and usually put a bag in the hold because I can't be asked to mess around in the mindless scrum of people trying to find overhead space in the cabin. That is more hassle than waiting a couple of minutes for a bag. As is having the space for your feet crammed with stuff. Alaska have a policy if the bag isn't at reclaim 20 minutes after the aircraft got to the gate you get $25 or 2500 miles. I have never yet walked from an Alaska flight to baggage reclaim and got there before my bag.

Never have I lost a bag, or anything from it since I started flying in the 1960s. We've had one flight were the bags were delayed and that was because of a very tight connection at ORD when our connecting fight was late. (Jinxed it now)
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The counter argument to that is why should I who doesn't have a checked bag, and has a reasonable sized carry on, pay the same as someone who is dumping a 50lb bag in the hold. It costs the airline to carry the bag, so why should I pay for something I don't need.

In fact I go the other way and usually put a bag in the hold because I can't be asked to mess around in the mindless scrum of people trying to find overhead space in the cabin. That is more hassle than waiting a couple of minutes for a bag. As is having the space for your feet crammed with stuff. Alaska have a policy if the bag isn't at reclaim 20 minutes after the aircraft got to the gate you get $25 or 2500 miles. I have never yet walked from an Alaska flight to baggage reclaim and got there before my bag.

Never have I lost a bag, or anything from it since I started flying in the 1960s. We've had one flight were the bags were delayed and that was because of a very tight connection at ORD when our connecting fight was late. (Jinxed it now)
If they had lowered the fares I'd not mind the so called ala carte pricing, but the fares stayed the same or went up, so its just a cash grab by the airlines and nothing more, fees are not taxed the same way as the rest of their income is, so airlines have become addicted to fees to boost revenue.

Like I said, I travel with a small carry on, I'll check it if they ask simply because I hate carrying it on, but I will not pay 25 dollars each way to check it. I'd prefer to, but the cost to check it isn't worth it, maybe is it were 5 or 10, I'd be more inclined, but the 25 or whatever it is now, not worth it.

If Southwest flew out of Bellingham, I'd be using them, but Seattle is the closest and it's a bit too far to use as a alternate airport to Vancouver and parking at Sea tac is pricey.
Old Jun 12th 2015, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Robin Holland is an unknown quantity at this point

When I flew over here and checked my bags in I told the girl that I wanted the yellow bag to go to Honduras and the blue one to Ontario. She replied that she could not possible do that. So I asked her why not as they had managed it fine the week before. Boom Boom
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Delta is going to try preboarding the carry-on: Delta Wants to Pre-Load Your Carry-On Bags for You
Old Jun 12th 2015, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Delta is going to try preboarding the carry-on: Delta Wants to Pre-Load Your Carry-On Bags for You
Seems like a possible good idea, trains do it. When I took Via Rail they took my bags, and pre-loaded them onto the car I was assigned.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Yeah, it seems like a good idea, until one of the bags or some contents goes walkabout between check-in and the plane.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 1:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If they had lowered the fares I'd not mind the so called ala carte pricing, but the fares stayed the same or went up, so its just a cash grab by the airlines and nothing more, fees are not taxed the same way as the rest of their income is, ......
How so? A business is, broadly speaking, taxed based on the aggregate of all receipts, with very few exceptions, then all the allowable expenses, charges, and deductions are made, which are many and various. You can slice and dice the income and deductions in various ways, and change the order in which income is added and deductions made, but at the end of the day you calculate aggregate income, then subtract the deductions and levy tax on the difference. What are airlines doing that is different?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How so? A business is, broadly speaking, taxed based on the aggregate of all receipts, with very few exceptions, then all the allowable expenses, charges, and deductions are made, which are many and various. You can slice and dice the income and deductions in various ways, and change the order in which income is added and deductions made, but at the end of the day you calculate aggregate income, then subtract the deductions and levy tax on the difference. What are airlines doing that is different?
Unless the IRS has changed it's mind, they had ruled a few years back that baggage fees (and some others) are not taxable.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:59 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

How so? A business is, broadly speaking, taxed based on the aggregate of all receipts, with very few exceptions, then all the allowable expenses, charges, and deductions are made, which are many and various.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/business/29bags.html
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the IRS has changed it's mind, they had ruled a few years back that baggage fees (and some others) are not taxable.
Weird. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 10:55 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Even if airlines stuck to their current rules, if everyone brought a bag that size they wouldn't fit them all in the overheads. I fly about once a week on average, always check my luggage and can't remember the last time I had to wait more than 10 minutes by the carousel. There was one exception, where I went to the UK on a quick, under 48 hour turnaround and had to get to a meeting very quickly after landing. That time I put all my stuff in a big (regulation size) carry-on, and felt a massive bell end for doing so.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by tonrob
Even if airlines stuck to their current rules, if everyone brought a bag that size they wouldn't fit them all in the overheads. .....
I believe they would, if everyone placed their regulation-sized bags on their edge (if a suitcase) and end-on, like slices of toast in a rack, which is how the bins are designed to work, and work very well.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:00 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they would, if everyone placed their regulation-sized bags on their edge (if a suitcase) and end-on, like slices of toast in a rack, which is how the bins are designed to work, and work very well.
And airlines would never overbook a flight either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.