Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

Airlines set to reduce size of carry on luggage - Telegraph

No sure that is the answer to the problem they are trying to solve. The airlines could start by strictly enforcing the current regulations.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:40 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IATA Considering Smaller Carry On Bag Size

Originally Posted by lansbury
Airlines set to reduce size of carry on luggage - Telegraph

No sure that is the answer to the problem they are trying to solve. The airlines could start by strictly enforcing the current regulations.
Entirely agree - talk about something that boils my piss. People who don't think the same set of rules apply to them.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 4:38 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Last winter we made a trip to Italy & the Middle East with just carry on. We made sure to comply with the smaller sizes already used by some airlines in Europe. We had a hell of a time finding them [without paying an arm and a leg]. We bought hard sided Delsy spinner which comply with the smaller size. However, we noted that even the airlines that had the smaller standards [e.g. Veueling] took the larger sizes with no problem.

I guess that will change.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

"There has to be a size that if the passenger buys it, they know they can take it on board with them," said Thomas Windmuller, IATA’s senior vice president for airport, passenger, cargo and security.
Yeah, like that is really going to happen ...

I think that the problem that they are actually trying to solve is finding yet more ways to raise money by charging additional fees.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 5:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... The airlines could start by strictly enforcing the current regulations.
That would be a great start!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

The airlines could start by strictly enforcing the current regulations.
God, I would love to see the looks on people's faces when they have it explained to them that they can't take a case big enough to fit an elephant's backside in onto the plane with them. Because at the moment it seems like a free-for-all, it's mental.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:20 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
God, I would love to see the looks on people's faces when they have it explained to them that they can't take a case big enough to fit an elephant's backside in onto the plane with them. Because at the moment it seems like a free-for-all, it's mental.
Lots of people seem to do it because a) they know they can get away with it, and b) if they don't it will be checked at the gate, and thus is free.

It pisses me off, when you see a family of 4, going on vacation for a week, and they're all taking everything as carry-on, 4 enormous cases, and a huge racksack or bag. They then get to their seats that are all together, and have to take up the lockers above their seats and the seats in front/or behind them. Then the family in those seats are doing the same, and you, who likes to board last so is cooped up on the plane for the least amount of time, can't fit your tiny little carry-on anywhere on the entire plane.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My carry on is usually a very small backpack which holds my book and my even smaller handbag. Who needs to carry half their life onboard? You're seriously not going to be using all that crap on the flight anyway.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My carry on is usually a very small backpack which holds my book and my even smaller handbag. Who needs to carry half their life onboard? You're seriously not going to be using all that crap on the flight anyway.
You obviously aren't aware of the checked bag fee that many airlines charge. Also people like to to be able to walk off the plane and leave the airport, rather than wait around for 20-30 minutes for the luggage to arrive at the baggage carousel.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You obviously aren't aware of the checked bag fee that many airlines charge. Also people like to to be able to walk off the plane and leave the airport, rather than wait around for 20-30 minutes for the luggage to arrive at the baggage carousel.
That's assuming your bag was actually put on the right flight and not put to one side so the baggage handlers can have a quick rummage and see if there is anything worth taking.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
That's assuming your bag was actually put on the right flight and not put to one side so the baggage handlers can have a quick rummage and see if there is anything worth taking.
Well there is that too!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:22 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You obviously aren't aware that I travel quite a lot and know all about checked bags fees.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You obviously aren't aware that I travel quite a lot and know all about checked bags fees. .....
In that case your previous post makes no sense.
.... Who needs to carry half their life onboard? You're seriously not going to be using all that crap on the flight anyway. ... .
They are not taking their "crap" on board to use it, they are doing it to avoid fees, save time, and as Sir Eccles said avoid the risk of their bags being pillaged, delayed, or misdirected.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Airlines brought the mess ( at least those who charge for checked bags) on themselves, charge idiotic fees to check a bag, of course people will try and maximize what they bring on so they don't have to check a bag.

I travel light simply because I hate carry stuff around, so can easily fit everything into my carry on which is within the limits of North American airlines which are the only ones I fly as I never leave the continent.

I will check it at the gate if they ask people to check their carry on, but no way am I paying 25+ dollars to do it at the ticket counter.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:53 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I just booked a flight (UK domestic route on Flybe) yesterday evening. The charge to check baggage equated to another 50% on top of the basic return fare but is something I'm more than happy enough to pay; especially when trying to squeeze everything you need into a carry on bag just isn't feasible a lot of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.