Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I miss my tele shows!

I miss my tele shows!

Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I miss my tele shows!

Originally Posted by lostinjersey
As Far as I know nothing that illegal , using vpn's etc is just as illegal many of my friends have bought box from this guy no problems.
Ar you paying subscriptions for Sky and all the movie channels? Or even for cable service?

No?

Then however you manage to convince yourself otherwise, it's illegal. Period.

No-one has said that using a VPN is not illegal either. But most would pay for a TV license if it was possible and are watching stuff that is mostly unavailable here. Non-freeview cable and satellite programming and other 'extras' like movie and sports channels is a whole 'nother ball o'wax.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Is using a VPN to watch UK tv illegal though? You are watching free to air channels. With this little box of tricks mentioned earlier you are watching subscription channels for free, effectively stealing them. BBC, ITV, CH4 etc could easily adapt their software so that it doesn't work with a VPN. I used to use iPhone catchup in the UK to watch tv. And yet out here I get a message saying this app is not available with VPN software. If they can do it, I'm sure the BBC and others could.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

lostinjersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Sky to Go Do you have reletives in the UK with Sky good for up to 5 devices,
Vpn's are just as illegal as the box I have I use it to watch tv actually I have mine set up as a dvr so I can record Corrie while at work, the guy I got mine from actually started this to sell to his fellow italians.
Old Dec 27th 2013, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Is using a VPN to watch UK tv illegal though? You are watching free to air channels. With this little box of tricks mentioned earlier you are watching subscription channels for free, effectively stealing them. BBC, ITV, CH4 etc could easily adapt their software so that it doesn't work with a VPN. I used to use iPhone catchup in the UK to watch tv. And yet out here I get a message saying this app is not available with VPN software. If they can do it, I'm sure the BBC and others could.
First, let me say that I'm not the morality police here. I'm the first to admit to keeping up with Eastenders and more, so I'm not trying to take the moral high ground, just having a discussion and, if you like, playing devil's advocate.

Yes, if you are not in the UK and paying for a license, then you are watching illegally. Even the free-to-air channels require a license in the UK and are not freely available to watch overseas.

As for adapting software so it won't work with a VPN, this is far more difficult as for all intents and purposes, the whole point is to 'fool' the software into believing you're in the UK, so most attempts to stop it could impact regular, legal users. IPs belonging to known VPN services can and regularly are blocked by the providers, just as fake access cards are often made useless by newer ones for satellite access.

Personally, I feel that, for shows that are not able to be sold as DVDs or otherwise, I don't have a problem getting them through 'other means'. If I could get them through a subscription service or even on a per-episode basis, I would, but they are unavailable to me. EastEnders, for example, used to be shown on BBCA, but the audience loss was unsustainable, according to the company, so it was dropped. BBCA is a self-funding company only partially reliant on the BBC for programming (hence the oft-seen ITV programming). If a show fails to maintain a revenue-producing audience, then it is dropped.

Perhaps that's why that great British show, Star Trek:TNG gets shown so often!!!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, I'm gonna keep doing it LOL. Yet another option for people not happy about setting up a VPN is YouTube. I follow some great accounts that regularly update their feeds with UK shows. One that I'm religiously glued to at the minute is a user adding all the world championship darts. They are on his page within a couple of hours of finishing. Good stuff.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:29 am
Just Joined

lostinjersey is an unknown quantity at this point

Guy's if you are serious about watching live tv here is your answer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLggcsNzPeM
plain and simple this is it .