Reload this Page >

I may live in New York, but I’d be lost without the NHS

I may live in New York, but I’d be lost without the NHS

Old Mar 16th 2018, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I may live in New York, but I’d be lost without the NHS

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-us-healthcare

After 10 years in the US, I also think of British bureaucracy as a soft touch, its officiousness – that nasal ring of “I’m sorry, madam” of a thousand comedy sketches – underscored by a basic decency that can be negotiated with and ultimately circumvented, in contrast to the armed and crew-cut American version. And all right, the class system is entrenched; but at least we acknowledge that it’s unfair, rather than embracing the rampant individualism of the US, in which one’s station in life is assumed to be a result of one’s efforts.

And yet in all of these things, I am clearly both cosseted and hopelessly out of date. Talking to my dad about healthcare the other day, I said, as I always do, that the ultimate health insurance for Britons living in the US is knowing we can come home for NHS treatment. My dad looked alarmed and asked if my daughters have NHS numbers, to which I laughed incredulously and said: “No, but what are they going to do, turn us away?”
Old Mar 16th 2018, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I may live in New York, but I’d be lost without the NHS

At least some of the commenters put her right.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 7:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone who is intelligent enough to write for a national newspaper, doesn't know about the NHS. OH hang on it is the Guardian.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happened to that proposal to give ex-pats access to the NHS if they'd paid in sufficient NICs?
Old Mar 16th 2018, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

BTW we were visiting the UK a couple of years ago and OH had to get some medication prescribed, so we went to an NHS walk-in centre. When she gave her name and birthdate her NHS records from when she'd lived in the UK came up, and the staff all but encouraged her to claim she was still living in the UK to avoid the non-resident's consultation charge. As it was only about £40 we were happy to pay it.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rpjs
Whatever happened to that proposal to give ex-pats access to the NHS if they'd paid in sufficient NICs?
NI's are not connected to the NHS, well my understanding. NI more pension related.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

National insurance is for your pension and dole. NHS funded from general taxation.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:05 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
It was dropped because it costs money, and expats dont vote, and they are never going to be popular with uk voters because of course all expats are whining rich people who are into health tourism.

Seriously - Just look at the ridiculous inequalities in state pension provision if abroad [now wheres my winter fuel allowance, it gets bloody cold in the tropics...]
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:08 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

NB When it was introduced, NI was specifically to fund the nhs, but these days, like all taxation, it just goes into the govt pot the be distributed as our lords and masters see fit. There has been talk of course, an extra penny on tax to fund the nhs properly - yeah - and road tax fixes roads :-)
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

guardian online is pure clickbait.
"reporters" given a day to "research" and write an article and expected to write x many articles per month or they lose the gig.

I wonder if she realises how she comes across?
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
guardian online is pure clickbait.
"reporters" given a day to "research" and write an article and expected to write x many articles per month or they lose the gig.

I wonder if she realises how she comes across?
To be fair compared to some of the others she is quite mild.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

NICS are not connected to NHS entitlement. This is a common misundersytanding and is related to the way the system was run more than 100years ago when the Lloyd George Government introduced National Insurance, modelled on the German system introduced under Bismarck.

Does no one learn anything about NICS at school ? I know the answer to that question !
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
NICS are not connected to NHS entitlement. This is a common misundersytanding and is related to the way the system was run more than 100years ago when the Lloyd George Government introduced National Insurance, modelled on the German system introduced under Bismarck.

Does no one learn anything about NICS at school ? I know the answer to that question !
Judging by the comments most people know the answer and seems her Father did as well.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Talking to my dad about healthcare the other day, I said, as I always do, that the ultimate health insurance for Britons living in the US is knowing we can come home for NHS treatment. My dad looked alarmed and asked if my daughters have NHS numbers, to which I laughed incredulously and said: “No, but what are they going to do, turn us away?”
I attended a Parliamentary meeting about healthcare and migrants in Portcullis House a few years back, and one of the subjects was health tourism. Apparently the nationality by far of those entering the UK for medical treatment then returning to their country of residence are UK ex-pats. These should be charged as foreign visitors but rarely are because those responsible for requesting payment don't ask for evidence of entitlement such as a recent letter.

Most of us wouldn't need this because the system would show recent interaction with other UK medical professionals such as a GP.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I attended a Parliamentary meeting about healthcare and migrants in Portcullis House a few years back, and one of the subjects was health tourism. Apparently the nationality by far of those entering the UK for medical treatment then returning to their country of residence are UK ex-pats. These should be charged as foreign visitors but rarely are because those responsible for requesting payment don't ask for evidence of entitlement such as a recent letter.

Most of us wouldn't need this because the system would show recent interaction with other UK medical professionals such as a GP.
I had a cycling accident years ago but otherwise the only one I can think of was updating my jabs to move over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.