Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How will the US election affect immigration for Brits? Discuss..

How will the US election affect immigration for Brits? Discuss..

Old Oct 19th 2016, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Limey187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How will the US election affect immigration for Brits? Discuss..

Hey,

Just wondering what peoples opinions were on this matter! Will Clinton or Trump make any changes to the Visa progress that could affect us Brits? Will it be for the better or for the worse?
Old Oct 19th 2016, 12:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How will the US election affect immigration for Brits? Discuss..

I doubt there'll be any change either way. I can't see ESTA/VWP changing and it is already tough for British citizens to get any other visa type, and neither candidate is going to make it any easier.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 19th 2016 at 12:48 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No change
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see much changing. Implementing any type of immigration change has been notoriously difficult for a couple of reasons. Firstly, no party has enough control to implement anything on their own and also don't have enough support from the opposition in the current polarized environment - this will likely still be the case after the upcoming election. Secondly, any immigration bill is usually the subject of a hijack as lawmakers try to add other things to it and then the whole thing is debated to death and fails to pass into law anyway.

It's generally accepted that US immigration is skewed too far in favor of family immigration instead of skills-based immigration (probably by a factor of 2 to 1). The US will eventually need to address this is if it hopes to stay competitive globally. Unfortunately it probably won't get done unless the wider issue of undocumented immigrants is also dealt with at the same time - which means nothing is going to happen any time soon.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If there were a change, it would not affect only Brits. It would be a global affecting change. Will it happen? Not with Clinton but might if Trump could get the support to make the changes. Think he will first concentrate on illegal immigrants and that centers on the immigrants from Mexico, Central and South American. Doubt he would want to upset the status quo on current work visas available to all nations, not just to Brits.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:34 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If there were a change, it would not affect only Brits. It would be a global affecting change. Will it happen? Not with Clinton but might if Trump could get the support to make the changes. Think he will first concentrate on illegal immigrants and that centers on the immigrants from Mexico, Central and South American. Doubt he would want to upset the status quo on current work visas available to all nations, not just to Brits.
I think Rete has summed this up nicely.

The only *legal* immigration I can recall he's blustered over was the K1 visa after San Bernardino. Short of another tragedy happening I doubt he will look to shake things up (and if he does, I suspect it will take years to change).
Old Oct 19th 2016, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
.... The only *legal* immigration I can recall he's blustered over was the K1 visa after San Bernardino. Short of another tragedy happening I doubt he will look to shake things up (and if he does, I suspect it will take years to change).
Pres Trump could tighten B-1/2 screening, and deny more people, but that would impact very few British citizens, unless he also tightened the rules for ESTA, to reject certain groups of otherwise VWP-eligible individuals (this wouldn't just affect Britain, it would affect some people in all VWP-eligible countries). I believe both changes can be made by executive action of the President.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 19th 2016 at 5:23 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'd disagree about the "not with Clinton" comment. I suspect she might push to continue Obama's Dreamer stuff. That doesn't apply to Brits though (or very unlikely unless you are a Brit brought in illegally as a child).

As others have said, I wouldn't hold your breath for any legislative change. The only time I have seen rapid change was when USCIS reacted to the same sex ruling in Windsor v US. But no legislation or even executive action was required, just a rule change really.
Old Oct 20th 2016, 12:45 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Caddies, grounds keepers etc who have worked at any of Trump's golf courses in UK will get first preference for visas
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't enough hate for foreign born engineers sending their kids to private schools for the politicians to score points by even discussing changing the law.

I wonder if there will be more recruitment for intelligence.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Eugenics is probably too difficult for Trump to understand, but if he could grasp the ideas, I am sure that he would be all for it ! He and Lindbergh would get on very well together.