Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

Old Jul 5th 2008, 1:31 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Pets are like family. I have had several cats and dogs. My cat is my baby. I feel for you.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm not sure where to post this, but I guess this place is as good as any so here goes:

Our dog has just been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and has been given only weeks - possibly just days - to live. There is a huge mass on her spleen, a tumor at the base of her heart, and another mass on her adrenal gland which appears to be metastasising to her renal vein.

(She is a lab / border collie mix, 11 years old and weighing 62 pounds.)

The vet basically said there is nothing that can be done (which I accept, since her tumors are too extensive for surgery, and chemo alone would not help) - just keep her comfortable and bring her in if she appears to deteriorate.

She is our first dog and I feel so lost. I would be so grateful for advice from anyone who has gone through something similar, any pointers on how to maintain her quality of life, what to do when she starts to deteriorate and decompensate.

There are so many 'miracle diets' touted in the web, but is there anything, any foods or supplements etc, that would be helpful for a dog with terminal cancer?

With this cancer, she will eventually bleed to death internally. Is there any way it could be made possible for her to die peacefully at home, or will we eventually have to have her euthanised, as the vet maintains?

my beloved cat was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer last week and after a second opinion we decided the kindest thing was to have her put to sleep which we did yesterday. no miracle cures i'm afraid and yes you can have them put to sleep at home...this is a nice link and applies to both cats and dogs ~ http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-euthanasia.htm

good luck elvira, i'm a total wreck today and have been this past week. i miss my buddy so much but have consolation that she is suffering no more discomfort
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my beloved cat was diagnosed with lymphoma cancer last week and after a second opinion we decided the kindest thing was to have her put to sleep which we did yesterday. no miracle cures i'm afraid and yes you can have them put to sleep at home...this is a nice link and applies to both cats and dogs ~ http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-euthanasia.htm

good luck elvira, i'm a total wreck today and have been this past week. i miss my buddy so much but have consolation that she is suffering no more discomfort

Hey mate, so sorry to hear that. RIP kitty.

(btw...welcome back!)
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:48 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Never easy losing a beloved pet, my heart goes out to you
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Aww I'm so sorry. I can't think of anything better to say, I'm afriad, but I am SO sorry.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:28 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh blinkin heck thats set me off my old cat back in Illinios was put to sleep last week 17yrs old bless him I have my darling other cat here with me but I loved my old buddy so I know what your going through
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:02 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

tks to everyone for all your kind messages of support...sorry elvira, didn't intend to hi-jack your thread
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

tks to everyone for all your kind messages of support...sorry elvira, didn't intend to hi-jack your thread
So sorry to hear about your loss, dear TB - this is so hard...

Our own dear Myra is doing really well, going for her usual walks and eating copious amounts of high-protein food. For the moment she is stable, but this could change at any time. I am keeping a close eye on her, so hopefully I'll pick up any signs of decompensation before it becomes critical.

Thanks again for all your kind messages!

Last edited by Elvira; Jul 9th 2008 at 6:35 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Myra - RIP

Just an update as I cannot write to everyone who has asked individually:

Myra died peacefully in my arms this morning, with two of my sons by my side.

She was a really special lady.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:47 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Elvira, take care of yourself now and your family. No that you have my sympathy.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:48 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Sweetie thinking of you she's gone to Doggie heaven and you were with her to the end.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear the sad news Elvira...at least you were with her and she was peacefull in her final moments. She is now in the kennel in the sky...running around playing with new friends.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very sorry to hear that, but at least you were with her and she enjoyed her final days.

My deepest sympathies.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear that E.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:53 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear the sad news Elvira..............
Sending you a (((BIG hug)))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.