Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

Originally Posted by islandmom
exactly - so dont take it that way. Just trying to be helpful and empathise with you from the benefit our our experiences as we've been there. May not be the same cancer but to be honest if she's terminal it doesnt matter what the specific cancer is ....

I hope she's feeling good today.
Oh Elvira, I am SO sorry.

I can think of a few things - they tend to lose weight, or not want to eat eventually. If that happens, there are high calorie canned food (can't remember the exact name just now, but I will get it for you).

I am glad she is not in pain now, if she ever is, there are many options open to you to keep her comfortable. That's a bit of a specialty of Keith's and we will get you some more information. Not all vets offer all pain contol options, you might need to shop around. I fully understand you is not in pain, I am just talking about if any occurred in the future.

Some cancers are slowed a little by prednisone - I'm not sure if this is one of them, I will check.

I'll do a bit more research and get back to you.

((((Elvira))))
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

A/D is the diet I am thinking of, it is available at the vets. It does not do anything towards slowing the cancer, it's just high calorie, condensed, and helps to keep weight on when they don't want to eat, or need more calories.

Prednisone won't help here, I am sorry.

It might never become a painful condition, but if it did, dogs can take buprinex, morphine, and have fentanyl patches. It is possible to keep her comfortable regardless.

Hemangiosarcomas can rupture, and the dog can bleed significantly and thus pass away. Also, they can often get bleeding disorders in general, where the blood does not clot properly. Some of those bleeding disorders can be treated if they develop, keeping her more comfortable.

If you want to keep her at home, that sounds fine to me - it could be peaceful. But I would want to know where an emergency vet was nearby, in case she deteriorated suddenly and was uncomfortable.

I just lost my most beloved dog to cancer shortly after our wedding - I did have to put him to sleep.

Usually, when the time comes, you will know.

Please PM me if you like, or anything else I can do to help.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:06 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

cant imagine how you must feel Elvira - ive been gutted in the past with pet deaths of all kinds but not a terminal one. Hope you can have some lovely moments together before the end.
Sorry
E
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:43 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

My family and I went through this last year with our beautiful English Mastiff. She was diagnosed with colon cancer in the pelvis which was inoperable but she was not in pain from the growth just had difficulty pooping which got harder and harder as time went on. We took her to the beach to play in the water. long walks and lots of time with her and the kids for all of our sakes. We took countless pictures and enjoyed a great week with her before she passed. Dakota weighed 250 pounds so we did not have the luxury of letting her go at home because we would not have been able to bury her so the morning when she first displayed signs of pain we took her to the vet after explaining the girls that it was time to say goodbye. My wife stroked her head and I held her paw as she fell asleep then we kissed her head and went home. Her scent was in the house for a long while and we missed her terribly but our final memories of her were good ones, not ones of pain and suffering.
I truly feel for you.
Jim
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another thing, if she does have to be put to sleep, this is how I chose to do it:

Sedate the dog with acepromazine and butorphanol just under the skin - they are still awake, but it lessons any anxiety.

Put an i.v. cathetor into a vein.

Then, the dog is nice and relaxed and you can say goodbye peacefully. When the vet comes in to put her to sleep, there will be no needle nor pain nor stress. Noone needs to restrain the dog in any way. The vet will just inject the medication into the cathetor which is already in place and the dog will feel nothing.

I hope she goes peacefully in her sleep at home. But if not, I found the above the gentlest way to handle it, for myself and the dog.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, and also for the many karma messages.

She is fine today, went for her morning walk as usual, gobbled down her breakfast, now seeking out cat-*** for dessert...

At times, last Saturday's collapse and subsequent midnight dash to the ER just seems like a bad dream...
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Thanks everyone, and also for the many karma messages.

She is fine today, went for her morning walk as usual, gobbled down her breakfast, now seeking out cat-*** for dessert...

At times, last Saturday's collapse and subsequent midnight dash to the ER just seems like a bad dream...
An appetite is a good sign indeed. Thank you for keeping us updated.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 5:36 pm
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Im so sorry for your sad news. She sounds like she is still doing very well, I think you are doing everything right, making the time she has left so wonderful
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask your vet when the time comes to put her to sleep, if they could come to your house to do it. It may be more comfortable for her to be in her own surroundings and it may be better for you if you didn't have to drive home afterwards not being able to see the road for tears. Just keep her comfortable and love her. Hugs to you and yours.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:26 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Can't even begin to imagine not having our Lab around.

Horrible situation to be in, I really feel for you.

Wish you all the best.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your dog.

Tracym may be able to comment about pain levels associated with the potential heavy internal bleeding that you've described.

I suspect that there would be very little (if any) pain at the time, and that your dog would simply slip into a sleep. I suspect that any discomfort would be related to his/her heart having to work harder and ultimately not having enough blood/oxygen to support itself.

Thinking of you.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
So sorry to hear about your dog.

Tracym may be able to comment about pain levels associated with the potential heavy internal bleeding that you've described.

I suspect that there would be very little (if any) pain at the time, and that your dog would simply slip into a sleep. I suspect that any discomfort would be related to his/her heart having to work harder and ultimately not having enough blood/oxygen to support itself.

Thinking of you.
As this type of cancer more tends to rupture and bleed, or cause bleeding disorders (like clotting factors get used up) rather than press on anything, it is unlikely to become painful.

As I've told Elvira, there are various pain meds available to dogs if required, but hopefully they will not be.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm not sure where to post this, but I guess this place is as good as any so here goes:

Our dog has just been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and has been given only weeks - possibly just days - to live. There is a huge mass on her spleen, a tumor at the base of her heart, and another mass on her adrenal gland which appears to be metastasising to her renal vein.

(She is a lab / border collie mix, 11 years old and weighing 62 pounds.)

The vet basically said there is nothing that can be done (which I accept, since her tumors are too extensive for surgery, and chemo alone would not help) - just keep her comfortable and bring her in if she appears to deteriorate.

She is our first dog and I feel so lost. I would be so grateful for advice from anyone who has gone through something similar, any pointers on how to maintain her quality of life, what to do when she starts to deteriorate and decompensate.

There are so many 'miracle diets' touted in the web, but is there anything, any foods or supplements etc, that would be helpful for a dog with terminal cancer?

With this cancer, she will eventually bleed to death internally. Is there any way it could be made possible for her to die peacefully at home, or will we eventually have to have her euthanised, as the vet maintains?
Our border collie died last year from a mast cell tumour.....she was about 12 or 13 years old and the vet told us the same thing.....just keep her comfortable. She was her old self and just about a week in a half later she went downhill fast. We took her in, and it just about broke our hearts. I can sincerely sympathise with you Elvira. Give her all the love you've got and remember all the good times.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:12 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm soo sorry for what your going through..

At least she has you with her..
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, Elvira.

You know her better than anyone, and I think you'll lnow when she's had enough. As long as she is eating, that's good, it means she's comfortable with things. When animals are ready to go, they tend to withdraw into themselves and, for wont of a better description, the spark just seems to go from their eyes. Spoil your girl rotten and enjoy every minute of her company, at least you have had notice even 'though that really doesn't make it any easier.

Nice to know our dog isn't the only one with a taste for ... erm .... cat leftovers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.