Housewarming Party

Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Housewarming Party

So after renting for the last 7 years, we finally bought a house 3 months ago. After painting all the rooms, getting new carpets, emptying all the boxes and making the house presentable, we decided to have a housewarming party. First, we invited friends, then we invited our kids friends and their parents, then we decided to invite our some of our neighbors. We went to 6 houses nearest to us and invited them to come to our party. I'll be honest, I didn't expect them to show up. 2 of our neighbors had already been over with gifts (food and flowers) to welcome us to the neighborhood.

Anyway, the day of the party comes and EVERY SINGLE NEIGHBOR we invited came to the party. Some stayed a little while, some stayed a long time. They all brought food or a gift, or alcohol. A couple of them commented on the fact that no one else who has moved in the neighborhood over the last few years has had a housewarming party. One older lady said she had never been invited to a housewarming before. I wondered if it is perhaps a British thing. Our house was packed. There were not enough seats for everyone to sit but no one seemed to mind. Everyone was drinking, eating some of the food that guests brought over, and chatting away. It is now just over a week since we had the party, and all the leftover food is gone, but I have no idea how long it will take us to get through all the alcohol that is left. We have a bottle of Moet in the cupboard, but I am considering keeping that until we get citizenship in 2 years.

If me, my husband or our kids are outside on the porch and a neighbor goes by, they always wave and shout hello to us. Our immediate neighbor thanks us for inviting them everytime she sees me, which is a lot. My kids have said we have set a precedent for people moving into the neighborhood now and everyone will need to have a party. She has also said that we need to have more parties, now that we know they can be a success!

Are housewarming parties a British thing? Surely Americans must have them too?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 6:48 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housewarming Party

Congrats on buying your house! I'm hoping to buy one myself sometime next year

In my limited time (19 months) in Texas - I would say it's definitely a British thing.

I know 3 people who've got new houses in the last year, and nada - no party, nothing. Nice neighborhood, friendly people/neighbors etc.

I was waiting for an invite, ended up going to the pub* with them instead.

*bar
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Americans had the housewarming tradition many years back. Unfortunately, it seems to have drifted to the wayside and there might be a few neighbors, like yours when you first moved in, who will bring a dish to the door and welcome you to the neighborhood.

I thought when we purchased our home five years ago that we would have some neighbors stop by and say hello. Nothing, not even a wave when they drive pass and you're mowing or standing in the driveway. I was very disappointed. I guess people are so insular today that they no longer communicate on a face to face basis which is a shame.

I'm glad you revived it in SC. Your neighbors seemed to delight in viewing your home and getting to know you and you them.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I was considering throwing one, but the Mrs convinced me the neighbors would find it weird.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to many housewarming parties in the US, and held one myself when I bought my current place.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:19 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I was considering throwing one, but the Mrs convinced me the neighbors would find it weird.
Just invite the men over for poker night & beer/bbq instead.

Guarantee'd that'll win
Old Jul 25th 2017, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Being Mt P residents ourselves, i feel vaguely miffed that we weren't invited...

Congratulations on the house purchase, we found it a relief after renting and worrying about the landlord renewing or pushing the price up. We bought a couple of years ago and had a belated housewarming/christmas thing that we invited the neighbours to. Whilst we didn't get the 100% turn out that you did, we did get similar sentiments.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Being Mt P residents ourselves, i feel vaguely miffed that we weren't invited...

Congratulations on the house purchase, we found it a relief after renting and worrying about the landlord renewing or pushing the price up. We bought a couple of years ago and had a belated housewarming/christmas thing that we invited the neighbours to. Whilst we didn't get the 100% turn out that you did, we did get similar sentiments.

You live in Mt P? Hope you enjoy it here. We certainly do. Kids are currently not at all excited about the prospect of being back at school in a couple weeks. I am looking forward to it. Although they do think that we should now start planning a Halloween party. It never ends!

Apparently, I was incorrect about our 100% turnout. I guess it was actually more like 80% as my husband has informed me that 2 neighbors did not come. I may have had a couple beers before guests started arriving.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Good of you to test the beverages before the guests arrived

Yes, we are in the Creekside neighbourhood and enjoying it a lot. We will have one returning to Middle School shortly and middle daughter joining her elder sister at High School. The latter is about to take her driving test (aged 15!!).

Hallowe'en is a big thing in the neighbourhood, first a kid's candy crawl and later a grown up party that we have never been brave enough to attend. Maybe this year...
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by newadventure
Good of you to test the beverages before the guests arrived

Yes, we are in the Creekside neighbourhood and enjoying it a lot. We will have one returning to Middle School shortly and middle daughter joining her elder sister at High School. The latter is about to take her driving test (aged 15!!).

Hallowe'en is a big thing in the neighbourhood, first a kid's candy crawl and later a grown up party that we have never been brave enough to attend. Maybe this year...
Moultrie Middle? I will have a 7th & 8th grader there this year.
I have no idea what this neighborhood is like at Halloween. I'm already threatening my husband that I am going to get ridiculous decorations for our house and yard!
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Probably if you worded it as a housewarming party. Why not do something for Labor Day. Slip an invite into each neighbor's mailbox and tell them you are inviting them to a BBQ so that you can meet the neighbors. Make sure you have burgers, hot dogs, sausage, bread/rolls, salads and soda, ice tea and beer handy. If not many come, you can freeze what you don't cook.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SarahG
Moultrie Middle? I will have a 7th & 8th grader there this year.
I have no idea what this neighborhood is like at Halloween. I'm already threatening my husband that I am going to get ridiculous decorations for our house and yard!
That's the one. Son will be starting 7th grade, daughters terrorising Wando. I look forward with undisguised joy at my wife's purchase of this year's addition to the Halloween decorations