Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Homesick for Britain!

Homesick for Britain!

Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:51 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick for Britain!

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi Candy.wy

Yep, cheap date moi!!!!

Seen any trollies lately?

M

think the mods have scared them all away.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 8:53 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by candy wy.
think the mods have scared them all away.
They were alive and kicking on the Oz Forum until good old Sue got em.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=294818&page=5

They really get on my nerves and spoil a great Forum.

M

Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ilene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really nice

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi, seacreature and good to hear from you! no, i am not a troll--well, not yet anyway! yes, i agree, some parts of this forum does suddenly seem to have attracted rather a large number of ne'er-do-wells, for want of a better description! i totally agree with the assertion that the uk police need beefing up. in the good ol days (here i go now, there's no stopping me now...), in the mid 60s i mean, the police had a good reputation, there was a fairly large number of them to be seen on the beat, and they were respected. fast forwrd to the 90s, and we have the do-gooders brigade preaching that you cant do this, cant do that,this is racist, that is discrimination, this is sexist, etc etc. well, that cry seems to have been taken in by all and sundry, and suddenly the polive and law in general, become impotent. look at the case of a local family here in london, who were terrorised for over a year by local yobs, and when the house owner complained to the police, he was told to move house!! then the case of an old asian man, calmly walking home from the shops at 7pm, gets hit on the head and knocked unconcious by yobs. when reported to the boys in blue, his case gets filed and thats that--nothing is done to bring the yobs to justice, even though the local shopkeeper knew who they were and said so to the police! what kind of police force is that? thats why i dont agree with the former cop on this forum who says the uk police are the best. best at what? best at not doing enough, probably! bring back the days when if you were seen to be up to no good, the local bobby would give you a sharp twist of the earhole and take you home, whereupon your parents would give you a slapping too! anyway, those are my views and i am sticking to 'em! now, back to my predicament of whether i should go back to canada or not..............
Hello everyone, I've been reading up this thread with interest. I have been whingeing in other threads about my terrible situation here in South America and how I just want to get back to Britain to get some peace and quiet, however...... I'm not so sure now, all this talk about yobs and chavs and mods and the stuff they get up to.... I don't even know what a chav is?? maybe I should just stay here and brave the bombs and riot police with the mustard gas etc. etc. at least the yobs here (I do know what yobs are) have guns and just shoot you dead they don't "toy" with you!! No, kidding aside, I'm getting a bit worried is it really that bad?????
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ilene
Hello everyone, I've been reading up this thread with interest. I have been whingeing in other threads about my terrible situation here in South America and how I just want to get back to Britain to get some peace and quiet, however...... I'm not so sure now, all this talk about yobs and chavs and mods and the stuff they get up to.... I don't even know what a chav is?? maybe I should just stay here and brave the bombs and riot police with the mustard gas etc. etc. at least the yobs here (I do know what yobs are) have guns and just shoot you dead they don't "toy" with you!! No, kidding aside, I'm getting a bit worried is it really that bad?????
Chavs are just another fad, God my dad was a Teddy Boy, I was a Punk, but we all grow up in the end. Chavs like there "Bling Bling" gold that is, fast cars, just being flash really, have a bad rep for not working!!! What ever fad comes and goes you always get the ones who forget what its like to be young, so no there not all bad.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 7:02 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by britvic
Chavs are just another fad, God my dad was a Teddy Boy, I was a Punk, but we all grow up in the end. Chavs like there "Bling Bling" gold that is, fast cars, just being flash really, have a bad rep for not working!!! What ever fad comes and goes you always get the ones who forget what its like to be young, so no there not all bad.
There has been some debate on Chav's, what you say is correct but Chav's also are in the category of the lowest end of the social scale, not very well educated, breed like rabbits with multiple partners (never marry), live on state benefits, have little morals, rob houses, love drugs and don't contribute much to society. This is a sweeping generalisation so don't quote me.

The contribute to society part gets up my nose, I hate lazy bones.

www.chavscum.co.uk

M

Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

no, i am afraid i beg to differ on these views! ok, we all know what we got up to when we were kids and all that, but how can you say "oh, we all grow up in the end..." and thats the end of it? i am talking about all the hurt and chaos you (well not you personally but in general) would have caused when you were a punk/teddy boy/skinhead/goth or whatever, to ordinary decent law abiding citizens. if you were a skinhead, you probably smashed a few, to quote the ongoing parlance still used here, paki heads in; if you were a punk you probably clashed with rockers; if you were a mod then more than likely you rode your scooter to margate or something and made life hell for the townspeople there etc etc ad infinitum. its all very well saying we all grow up, yes, but what about the chaos and hurt caused? the same goes for the yobs nowadays; they may look back 10 yrs from now ans say, oh, we were only kids then, but again, what about the situations they are causing now?

Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

no, i am afraid i beg to differ on these views! ok, we all know what we got up to when we were kids and all that, but how can you say "oh, we all grow up in the end..." and thats the end of it? i am talking about all the hurt and chaos you (well not you personally but in general) would have caused when you were a punk/teddy boy/skinhead/goth or whatever, to ordinary decent law abiding citizens. if you were a skinhead, you probably smashed a few, to quote the ongoing parlance still used here, paki heads in; if you were a punk you probably clashed with rockers; if you were a mod then more than likely you rode your scooter to margate or something and made life hell for the townspeople there etc etc ad infinitum. its all very well saying we all grow up, yes, but what about the chaos and hurt caused? the same goes for the yobs nowadays; they may look back 10 yrs from now ans say, oh, we were only kids then, but again, what about the situations they are causing now?
Begging to differ with you. As a 40+year old yes there has and always will be youngsters who follow one trend or another. But when I was 20 the police had much more control over the general population and were able to tap you round the head and say behave (yes it is an odd way to say it but without using offence this was the case). Many countries have become too PC. Little or no control is possible without the threat of litigation as a backlash and the UK in particullar has suffered due to this. The US is a prime example of litigation and what can happen and yet the police have to go to extreme lengths to control gang warfare. In the UK reporting of killings in South-East London does not even reach the local press anymore such is the situation. Many other cities have similar problems. A youngster today can more easily get access to fast cars, and weapons and drugs from all walks of life. Money to be had from certain sections of the population has meant cheap drugs, cheap weapons and the state finds it increasingly difficult to cope. 20 years ago you would not have heard of the police failing to attend a gun crime - now there are many cases where PC makes the officers think twice.

So yes the same problems - but enhanced by current conditions!

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Apr 13th 2005 at 9:58 am.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I was a kid 50 years ago there were spivs and teddy boys. Each had a distinctive dress code and the hardcore were marginal criminals but they were in a minority and restricted to specific areas. As kids, we wore some of their fashions as a rebellion statement but didn't follow their anti-social antics.

It seems that the Chavs etc. are far more extreme both in dress and behaviour.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:53 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Begging to differ with you. As a 40+year old yes there has and always will be youngsters who follow one trend or another. But when I was 20 the police had much more control over the general population and were able to tap you round the head and say behave (yes it is an odd way to say it but without using offence this was the case). Many countries have become too PC. Little or no control is possible without the threat of litigation as a backlash and the UK in particullar has suffered due to this. The US is a prime example of litigation and what can happen and yet the police have to go to extreme lengths to control gang warfare. In the UK reporting of killings in South-East London does not even reach the local press anymore such is the situation. Many other cities have similar problems. A youngster today can more easily get access to fast cars, and weapons and drugs from all walks of life. Money to be had from certain sections of the population has meant cheap drugs, cheap weapons and the state finds it increasingly difficult to cope. 20 years ago you would not have heard of the police failing to attend a gun crime - now there are many cases where PC makes the officers think twice.

Put a new slight on modern life for me, this is very true.

Remember the clips around the luggs we got as wee ones. Never did us any harm.

M

Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

yes, agree totally with what you are saying. this is what i have said before too--that the uk police, and probably more so the uk govt policy, has driven these law makers into a softly-softly state, where they are afraid to touch yobs etc.. jeez, when i was a kid in london, we used to get wooden chalk dusters thrown at us acroos the classroom by the teachers!! and as you say, if you were seen by the local bobby to be up to no good, he would always come over and tweak your earhole for you, take you home, whereupon your parents would give you a few slaps too!! seems to me that all this has come from the usa, the land of litigation. but in all sincerity, we need all that ear-pulling now here in the uk and elsewhere too. thats the only thing that will break the backs of the yobs and make the uk the best country in the whole of europe once again!

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL

Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ilene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really nice

yes, agree totally with what you are saying. this is what i have said before too--that the uk police, and probably more so the uk govt policy, has driven these law makers into a softly-softly state, where they are afraid to touch yobs etc.. jeez, when i was a kid in london, we used to get wooden chalk dusters thrown at us acroos the classroom by the teachers!! and as you say, if you were seen by the local bobby to be up to no good, he would always come over and tweak your earhole for you, take you home, whereupon your parents would give you a few slaps too!! seems to me that all this has come from the usa, the land of litigation. but in all sincerity, we need all that ear-pulling now here in the uk and elsewhere too. thats the only thing that will break the backs of the yobs and make the uk the best country in the whole of europe once again!
I reckon though that the chavs and mods etc. are just fads that will eventually phase out and then we'll get some other group of kids with bad attitudes and outragious fashion statements calling themselves something else. I remember the hippie movement, most of the stuff we have been complaining about here was applied to the hippies in the sixties and everybody was horrified because they didn't work, used all sorts of drugs, believed in free love etc.etc. (they were generally non-violent though, with the exception of the Manson Family of course) the authorities and anybody else who wasn't a hippie were outraged by it all. It blew over and then we had the punks and then the goths etc.etc.etc. it goes on and on. I can understand though the annoyance factor especially if you work hard pay your taxes just to keep the local "chavs" in the manner to which they have become accustomed. I just hope that I'll be able to handle all this when I get back to the U.K. I'm beginning to think maybe I should move back to Scotland somewhere like Inverness or the Shetland Islands, I bet it's too cold for chavs up there.....