Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Homesick for Britain!

Homesick for Britain!

Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future
Default Homesick for Britain!

Personally, I think a lot of the reason I'm not enjoying living in Canada isn't work related. I just miss Britain, terribly.
I miss being able to go for bracing walks along Whitby pier, the history and beauty of places like York, the sense of humour and the pretty rolling countryside of the Yorkshire Dales. I miss being able to sit in cosy country pubs with roaring fires, planning holidays in the Greek Islands and going cycling along winding country lanes. I even miss the tackyness and fun of weekends in trashy Blackpool and getting soaked in the Scottish Highlands.
Canada in comparison seems to be without soul or culture. It's just strip malls, McDonalds Drive thru's and dreary suburbs. Whereas Britain is charming and historic, Canada seems boring and characterless.
I appreciate the UK has many faults, but essentially, it still is an extremely beautiful country, steeped in history and populated by strange eccentric people who speak in a myriad of different dialects.
Even London, for all it's crime and pollution, has more culture than Canada's provinces put together.
Before someone goes off on one, accusing me of whingeing or feeling sorry for myself, I know it's silly and I should've known before hand. Sadly however it is true. The only place in Canada I sort of felt I belonged was Nova Scotia. At least that had soul and character, unlike most of Ontario.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick for Britain!

How could you have possibly known before you moved to Canada that it wouldnt be for you. Unfortunately these things cannot be predicted. Homesickness is common and expected, you may get over it in time however if it continues then consider going back to the UK, no use in making yourself unhappy.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:31 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
Personally, I think a lot of the reason I'm not enjoying living in Canada isn't work related. I just miss Britain, terribly.
I miss being able to go for bracing walks along Whitby pier, the history and beauty of places like York, the sense of humour and the pretty rolling countryside of the Yorkshire Dales. I miss being able to sit in cosy country pubs with roaring fires, planning holidays in the Greek Islands and going cycling along winding country lanes. I even miss the tackyness and fun of weekends in trashy Blackpool and getting soaked in the Scottish Highlands.
Canada in comparison seems to be without soul or culture. It's just strip malls, McDonalds Drive thru's and dreary suburbs. Whereas Britain is charming and historic, Canada seems boring and characterless.
I appreciate the UK has many faults, but essentially, it still is an extremely beautiful country, steeped in history and populated by strange eccentric people who speak in a myriad of different dialects.
Even London, for all it's crime and pollution, has more culture than Canada's provinces put together.
Before someone goes off on one, accusing me of whingeing or feeling sorry for myself, I know it's silly and I should've known before hand. Sadly however it is true. The only place in Canada I sort of felt I belonged was Nova Scotia. At least that had soul and character, unlike most of Ontario.

just give it a bit longer you may feel different.

At least you have given it ago....Mr D has just informed me ( last night) that he is feeling unsure about our plans to go to OZ.....we have planned and talked for 18 monthes and he hits me with this now

Hope you feel better soon
D X
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:42 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DIMO8
just give it a bit longer you may feel different.

At least you have given it ago....Mr D has just informed me ( last night) that he is feeling unsure about our plans to go to OZ.....we have planned and talked for 18 monthes and he hits me with this now

Hope you feel better soon
D X

Hi Donna

I reckon its pretty normal to get those wobbly feelings about going to Oz or anywhere different to "home"...I really hope he just goes with it and doesn't back out. He will always be left wondering "what if...." otherwise. Life is an adventure , take it and live it.

I know that I came back after 21/2yrs in Oz but I would always recommend people give it a go....whilst you are still young and can take the opportunity. How many times have you heard that one ??!!!!!I am looking forward to possibly at some stage giving it another go.....or maybe somewhere else

Good luck hun and keep happy

Tell him to check out this forum...then give him a big boot up the botty !!lol...
xx

Last edited by Pants; Mar 15th 2005 at 3:45 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Unfortunately a lot of the things I miss most about Britain are things I never even considered when I left. I just took the 'history and culture' for granted. I never even imagined I would miss the chocolate box villages, watching Jeremy Paxman grilling MP's on Newsnight and hearing Yorkshire accents. It's a culmination of many small things that I find difficult.
The people in Ontario also don't seem to possess any sense of humour whatsoever. They're all so damn serious all the time.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:49 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Hi Donna

I reckon its pretty normal to get those wobbly feelings about going to Oz or anywhere different ot "home"...I really hope he just goes with it and doesn't back out. He will always be left wondering "what if...." otherwise. Life is an adventure , take it and live it.

I know that I came back after 21/2yrs in Oz but I would always recommend people give it a go....whilst you are still young and can take the opportunity. How many times have you heard that one ??!!!!!I am looking forward to one day going back.

Good luck hun and keep happy

Tell him to check out this forum...then give him a big boot up the botty !!lol...
xx

Thanks Hun for the reply.........i am so down at the minute following what he told me last night.....it is his dream too. I am just giving his some space at the moment and trying to get lots of information and we are going to a couple of meets in the next couple of weeks so hopefully he might start to come around.

I know he will regret it if we dont go......i have a few more years anyhow to get in so time will tell....what will be will be

D x
Old Mar 15th 2005, 4:02 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DIMO8
Thanks Hun for the reply.........i am so down at the minute following what he told me last night.....it is his dream too. I am just giving his some space at the moment and trying to get lots of information and we are going to a couple of meets in the next couple of weeks so hopefully he might start to come around.

I know he will regret it if we dont go......i have a few more years anyhow to get in so time will tell....what will be will be

D x
Keep your chin up Donna..I am sure he will come round once he realises that all good things can make you doubt !!...does that make sense...when I went I was a new first time mum with a 5mnth old and I never really gave it much thought as I was so wrapped up in her and then once I was there I wanted to come home after about 4 weeks but my hubby ( whos an aussie ) promised me it would get better and that the homesick stuff would pass and yes it got better and I made a massive amount of effort and the reasons we came back were really nothing to do with disliking Australia..yes things niggled but I can say I never hated it and I do consider it my 2nd home.

I grew up alot in Oz...had to as I didn't have any family support from my outlaws...my hubby went straight into a job working shifts and I didn't know a soul . I made myself go out and find things out for myself....and I loved it. I can say that at least I did it......and it made me a stronger person.

anyway thats my 2 pennies worth....I am off to cook miss pants her tea...all the best D...don't lose sight of your dreams

xx
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
Unfortunately a lot of the things I miss most about Britain are things I never even considered when I left. I just took the 'history and culture' for granted. I never even imagined I would miss the chocolate box villages, watching Jeremy Paxman grilling MP's on Newsnight and hearing Yorkshire accents. It's a culmination of many small things that I find difficult.
The people in Ontario also don't seem to possess any sense of humour whatsoever. They're all so damn serious all the time.
yup the yorkshire accent is great ......but when you come back to blighty there will be things you miss about canada.....you just don't see it now....just like you didn't see it then
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thousand Dollar Cure called for. I bet youve been in canada what, 4 to 6 months or so? When you get back to the UK there is a good chance you will realise its just a certain amount of familiarity you crave, and that will only come with time in a foreign land.

If its really is the UK you crave, then you will have to start persuading the OH and figure out how to deal with her Visa issues.

Good Luck, go back and visit if you can, the mind plays strange tricks in these circumstances. I felt the same way briefly, and within literally 20 minutes of getting on the train from Gatwick I was over it and couldnt wait to get back to Canada. YMMV, but its the only way you will know for sure.

PS maybe you are in the wrong bit of Ontario, never had a problem having a joke with the natives further East
Old Mar 19th 2005, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=seacreature]Personally, I think a lot of the reason I'm not enjoying living in Canada isn't work related. I just miss Britain, terribly.
I miss being able to go for bracing walks along Whitby pier, the history and beauty of places like York, the sense of humour and the pretty rolling countryside of the Yorkshire Dales.

Whitby? Did you say Whitby? I grew up there!! I do miss it a lot, but getting back every year helps!! Hang in there!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 12:55 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

My advice is always give it a year. I've been in the UK almost 2 years now and I've grown to love it, actually. The first 12 months or so are always, almost without fail, the worst.

-Becs
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
PS maybe you are in the wrong bit of Ontario, never had a problem having a joke with the natives further East
It seems that you only have a Toronto perspective. Canada and Ontario are big so there's all kinds of diversity in lifestyle if you explore. Go into Nova Scotia for instance and you could even take up the bagpipes without annoying the neighbours.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flashman
It seems that you only have a Toronto perspective. Canada and Ontario are big so there's all kinds of diversity in lifestyle if you explore. Go into Nova Scotia for instance and you could even take up the bagpipes without annoying the neighbours.

I used to live in Nova Scotia, albeit only for a month.
In many ways I prefered it to Ontario.
The people in Halifax were much friendlier, down to earth and easier to have a laugh with.
I find people in Ontario to be rather too serious and 'business-like'.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
Whitby? Did you say Whitby? I grew up there!! I do miss it a lot, but getting back every year helps!! Hang in there!
Whitby is just stunning.
It's my favourite place in Britain.
My last visit was on a chilly windswept day in November.
We had place and chips near the harbour, went for a walk up to the ruined abbey before having half a pint in a cosy pub with a roaring fire.

Then an incredible drive up through the North Yorkshire Moors, past Helmsley and down sutton bank before making our way back into Leeds.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
How could you have possibly known before you moved to Canada that it wouldnt be for you. Unfortunately these things cannot be predicted. Homesickness is common and expected, you may get over it in time however if it continues then consider going back to the UK, no use in making yourself unhappy.

Some things are predictable though. If you are not adventurous, open minded, flexible etc. then moving to anywhere, even within the same country, is not for you.

For instance, if you're from a small town and prefer that lifestyle then you might have difficulty adjusting to any big city. Many of the difficulties that people experience are often generic and not specific to any country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.