Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:37 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski
They're a pair of Duet Steam models, so there a branch in the washer's cold water supply hose that connects to the dryer.

Thank you Pulaski. Would love to have less ironing so a steam washer and dryer sound great!
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
Thank you Pulaski. Would love to have less ironing so a steam washer and dryer sound great!
We haven't tried it yet, but our neighbours swear that the steam function in the dryer is as good as dry cleaning for suits.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WJS
So please tell us what model did you get?
I would like to buy the same but the washer and dryer in the condo is located in a cupboard...and I think they are too large to fit.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would like to buy the same but the washer and dryer in the condo is located in a cupboard...and I think they are too large to fit.
They're less than 28" wide, and stackable (washer has a flat top, and I believe there is a "kit" to secure the dryer in position).
Old Jul 4th 2015, 2:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They're less than 28" wide, and stackable (washer has a flat top, and I believe there is a "kit" to secure the dryer in position).
It's the height that's the main problem. Getting the dryer into the cupboard to sit on top of the washer.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 4th 2015 at 3:20 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 4th 2015, 3:12 pm

It's the height that the main problem. Getting the dryer into the cupboard to sit on top of the washer.
That's easy. Just hold the dryer up, then slide the washer underneath it.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same problem. Currently I have an a GE Spacemaker similar to the one pictured below and the full sized front loads are too wide and too deep but height wasn't a problem to fit in the cabinet. So I decided to buy a front load Samsung 3.6 cubic foot washer with matching dryer with free install which just barley fit with the minimum clearance on the sides and back but when the installers came out, they discovered there was only a 220V outlet (washer needs 110v) and said the drain was on the wrong side and the hose wasn't long enough and the drain would need to be re-plumbed (the current units has the drain on the back right and all front loads have the drain on the back left). I said I'll get an electrician to install both 110v as well as 220 V outlets and I'll buy a longer universal drain hose (10' instead of 7') and have them come back to install the units and they said they can't change the hose and I'll have to hire an independent installer. I said I'll put the hose on the washer (it only takes a minute) and they said they are not allowed to install it with the longer hose.

Finally I decided to not purchase the units.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 4th 2015 at 4:31 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's easy. Just hold the dryer up, then slide the washer underneath it.
There is no room for one person to hold the dryer up whilst the other slides the washer in place.

Originally Posted by Michael
I have the same problem. Currently I have an a GE Spacemaker similar to the one pictured below and the full sized front loads are too wide and too deep but height wasn't a problem to fit in the cabinet. So I decided to buy a front load Samsung 3.6 cubic foot washer with matching dryer with free install which just barley fit with the minimum clearance on the sides and back but when the installers came out, they discovered there was only a 220V outlet (washer needs 110v) and said the drain was on the wrong side and the hose wasn't long enough and the drain would need to be re-plumbed (the current units has the drain on the back right and all front loads have the drain on the back left). I said I'll get an electrician to install both 110v as well as 220 V outlets and I'll buy a longer universal drain hose (10' instead of 7') and have them come back to install the units and they said they can't change the hose and I'll have to hire an independent installer. I said I'll put the hose on the washer (it only takes a minute) and they said they are not allowed to install it with the longer hose.

Finally I decided to not purchase the units.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...04f626_400.jpg
They are similar to my units. The location of the vent is a problem too...and the the space around the washer dryer is so tight there is hardly any room to maneuver.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

There is no room for one person to hold the dryer up whilst the other slides the washer in place.

They are similar to my units. The location of the vent is a problem too...and the the space around the washer dryer is so tight there is hardly any room to maneuver.
My vent goes to the 8' ceiling so that isn't an issue. Many in my condo have installed the small front load units after having a 120v outlet installed.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 4th 2015 at 4:44 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 4:43 pm

There is no room for one person to hold the dryer up whilst the other slides the washer in place. ......
Er yeah, I know. Perhaps my adding a "" instead of a "" confused you. ...... Among the unspecified problems are the fact that the washer weighs 240lb and doesn't slide easily, and that sliding the washer in would be massively complicated by the length of the washer hoses, which would have to be connected first, but then the washer would be in the way of picking up the dryer, ...... and hoisting the dryer 36" into the air to slide a washer under it would be challenging even in the middle of a wide open space.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Er yeah, I know. Perhaps my adding a "" instead of a "" confused you. ...... Among the unspecified problems are the fact that the washer weighs 240lb and doesn't slide easily, and that sliding the washer in would be massively complicated by the length of the washer hoses, which would have to be connected first, but then the washer would be in the way of picking up the dryer, ...... and hoisting the dryer 36" into the air to slide a washer under it would be challenging even in the middle of a wide open space.
The Whirlpool Duet washer is 38.75" and the dryer is 39" for a total of 77.75" and a standard door height as well as the door height for my laundry cabinet is 80". So for me the height wasn't a major issue.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:49 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
My answer to that problem is find him a hobby that he becomes obsessed with and the only gardening chore he then has time for is mowing. Worked for me
Hmmm, good idea. Can you tell us which hobby worked the magic for your hubby?

The real problem is that my husband is trying to avoid working at his job (he works from home). The current project is proving to be a difficult one involving lots of moaning and cursing.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue

The real problem is that my husband is trying to avoid working at his job (he works from home). The current project is proving to be a difficult one involving lots of moaning and cursing.
Maybe you could encourage him to take up a hobby that involves "moaning" and "cursing".
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue

If you want a garage full of motorcycles and motorcycle parts ....

The only other solution would be to lock him in his office
Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:39 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could encourage him to take up a hobby that involves "moaning" and "cursing".
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
If you want a garage full of motorcycles and motorcycle parts ....

The only other solution would be to lock him in his office
We found the solution! He's cutting down and bundling up the all decrepit moving cartons that we blithely stuffed up in our attic/loft after we moved into this house. There was a piece in the local newspaper about an attic fire due to stored papers overheating.

Some of those boxes have moved with us 4 times and are 30 years old! And the attic is poorly insulated, which we need to remedy at some point.... (Making another job, but not for the summer that one.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.